please help, need paint info on 1960 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: please help, need paint info on 1960 Lark

i have a 1960 Lark and i am looking for some info on the color of the factory gray on the
    bottom of the trunk lid and inner metal panels.

i contacted Andrew Beckman at the Studebaker museum and he said to try a paint scanner, the closest one i know of is over 100 miles away

what has everyone else done??

thank you

It's hard to imagine there's not a scanner close by. My area is 35,000 folks and there are several. Have you asked at the local body shops as most of the paint shops have one. They are portable.

Otherwise, it would be hard to match although I'll bet someone will be posting the color data shortly.

Good luck, Bob

Comment

Body shops have color chips arranged in "fan decks" that can be used to match or at the least come close to the color you want. I am not familiar with your location but it's rare that paint jobbers are that far away. Most today use the scanners to get formulas that are at least close to what match they are seeking, then tint for the exact match when needed. Scanners save them a bunch of time that way. Your other option is to paint the trunk the exterior color. Of the 3 60's I have here I know 2 have the trunks painted the exterior color. I'd have to go out & check #3.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

For 1953 South Bend built cars the color was Loma Gray. ISTR that 1960 was about the same or it was like a gray primer of the time.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thank you, i will try the Loma gray

Originally posted by vespa400 View Post
          i have a 1960 Lark and i am looking for some info on the color of the factory gray on the
          bottom of the trunk lid and inner metal panels.

i contacted Andrew Beckman at the Studebaker museum and he said to try a paint scanner, the closest one i know of is over 100 miles away

what has everyone else done??

thank you

Comment

When I needed to Paint the Steering Column, and Wheel on a 1950 the Loma Gray, (Brownish Gray) I just went to
            K Mart and grabbed the Dove Gray spray paint and it was close enough for a restoration, and with Primer, good enough for an Interior not being exposed to the weather.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X