63 Avanti R1 power steering hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 63 Avanti R1 power steering hoses

Earlier this year before I purchased the car the previous owner had a lot of work done at a local classic car shop. They replaced the two main power steering hoses, sourced from a local Studebaker parts dealer. The car had been stored for almost 20 years. The high pressure hose leaks profusely at the crimp joint nearest to the pump. Actually it appears to spray! Should I order a new hose from the same dealer (or from SI) assuming it was just one bad hose? Or is it as simple as re-crimping the crimp joint?

John Thomas
    Happy Valley, OR

Please call me and we will get your problem dealt with.
    Jerry

Comment

Like all "mass produced" parts some are going to be defective. Just contact the supplier and see it they won't replace it. Also gives the supplier a chance to check inventory for a flaw before it happens to someone else. All our vendors stand behind their products.

Comment

There have been lots of reports of PS hose failures over the past few years. For example, someone posted on another thread a few days ago, that he had TWO PS hoses fail, when trying to drive his 1964 Stude cross country, California to South Bend, in 2012.

Since 1985, and over half a million miles in Studes, I have had one PS hose fail. That was in the GT, over 20 years ago. Have replaced the return lines on several, as preventive maintenance, but nothing else. Also, so far, have been able to re-use the OEM pressure hose on every 56J owned so far.

Not sure what's up with all the PS failures of recent, but have heard it attributed to improper installation, modern chemicals, etc.. One thing for sure, there has been enough failures recently.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 11-11-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks all. Picked up a replacement hose today from the local supplier. Here's hoping!

Comment

Working...
          X