Tach Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Tach Question

I have a 350 with HEI in my 61 Hawk. Problem is when the engine is revved up the stock Studebaker tach only goes to 2500 RPM and stops. I have no idea what the problem is but I have a feeling it might have to do with the resister. The Studebaker distributor had no drive mechanism under the base. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

So if there is no Dist. Tach. Drive like a Stock '61 Hawk would have, then it must be a later Hawk dash unit connected to a under dash sending unit then??
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe all the old Stewart Warner tachs used by Studebaker, had sending units (I think they were actually signal amplifiers). The HEI Chevy distributor sends out a tach signal (if your using the connector marked as such on the distributor) that can't be read by the stock tach. The simplest way I know would be to buy a modern tach in approximately the same size and swap the guts, and wire as described with the new one. Someone else may know a way to add a sending unit that will accept the HEI signal and send the correct signal to the original SW.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
        I believe all the old Stewart Warner tachs used by Studebaker, had sending units (I think they were actually signal amplifiers). The HEI Chevy distributor sends out a tach signal (if your using the connector marked as such on the distributor) that can't be read by the stock tach. The simplest way I know would be to buy a modern tach in approximately the same size and swap the guts, and wire as described with the new one. Someone else may know a way to add a sending unit that will accept the HEI signal and send the correct signal to the original SW.
        That makes sense, I had been looking for a newer one that looked like the stock one but I had not thought off just swapping the guts. I will give that some thought, Thanks
        Don Watson
        61 Hawk

Comment

Hey Don Stewart Warner is still in the guage bizz. Go online, ebay works as well, lots of rodding catalogs list them. We installed SW "Wings" style guages in wifes '57 silver hawk and all work flawlessly. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Hey Don Stewart Warner is still in the guage bizz. Go online, ebay works as well, lots of rodding catalogs list them. We installed SW "Wings" style guages in wifes '57 silver hawk and all work flawlessly. Luck Doofus
            Thanks, I will check that out. BTW, I have relatives in North Little Rock and I was born in Camden. small world
            Don Watson
            61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
            X