AMC or Studebaker 3 speed with O/D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC or Studebaker 3 speed with O/D

So is this a 3 speed O/D for a jeep or a Studebaker?

Last edited by irish; 10-17-2014, 07:15 PM.
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

I am pretty sure it's a Studebaker V8 T86E Long tail as used on '58 to '64 259 and 289 V8's. The Input shaft Length is the clue.

If you want one for a warmed over 289 or R1 or just long term, here is a bulletproof H.D. T-85 Short Tail that can be converted to fit '58 to '64:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-T...99325995&rt=nc
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-17-2014, 07:35 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,
      The T85 you suggest looks to be for 57 GH. As you say, easily modifiable to fit other Studes, especially those that came with short tail tranny, and 2-piece drive shaft. Also do able in later Studes that came with a long tail and 1-piece drive shaft, but need a shaft with floating front yoke. I have a T85 in the 62GT, with a custom made, floating front yoke drive shaft.

To me, the T85 is the ultimate transmission for a Stude. In comparing the 62GT with T85, and the wife's 63GT with 700R, the 700R is very nice, but definitely has more parasitic drag than the T85. The 700R is best pick for heavy, stop & go traffic, however
      Last edited by JoeHall; 10-17-2014, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Rich the t85 on e-bay belongs to Barry Hackney one of our forum members, I just sold one from the parts of racing performance parts, $350
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Yes I know ccarspec is Barry, the fact remains; a strong Trans. is a strong Trans.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich; That T85 looks to me like it has a truck bell housing on it.

Comment

So what would be involved in converting the T85 so it could be used in a late model Lark with a 289?

Joe
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

Other than the correct Car Clutch Housing and Linkage it is mainly about the change or conversion from the Bolted Yoke short Tail Trans. for a Two Piece Driveshaft to a One piece one by adding a Slip Yoke. See Joe's Post #3.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X