Exhaust manifold cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Exhaust manifold cracked

I am a new owner of a 1951 2R11. After finally getting it road worthy I noticed exhaust fumes driving it today. Upon inspection I discovered the exhaust manifold has a large crack. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement for 245 c.i. six?
    DaveB

Might have one. Will be Saturday be four I can find out. Son is at the James Dean Run.

Comment

I appreciate you checking. Look forward to hearing if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I am a new owner of a 1951 2R11. After finally getting it road worthy I noticed exhaust fumes driving it today. Upon inspection I discovered the exhaust manifold has a large crack. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement for 245 c.i. six?
        DaveB
        A knowledgeable welder can repair it. You should then have it resurfaced flat. I've had them repaired and never had any problem after.

If you decide to go with a used one, it should be resurfaced flat too. That can be done on a milling machine, or by a blacksmith/mechanic with a belt sander, or draw filed.
        Last edited by jnormanh; 09-28-2014, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Got to still be many out there. I've given away entire engines with them. Hopefully, DieselJim can find ya one.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
            Might have one. Will be Saturday be four I can find out. Son is at the James Dean Run.
            Got one. E-mail me. studedieselatattdotnet

Comment

Is it in good shape, no cracks, studs in place?

Comment

The exhaust manifold on my son's Civic is notorious for cracking. He worked at a tech school and had them weld it with the correct rod and cooling process. Then he fly cut the surface which was out about .080. When we installed it we put anti seize on the stainless/ribbed gasket and just barely tightened the nuts to allow it to expand. We left the heat shield off to help keep it from getting so hot. He had to reinstall the shield about two years later for his smog test and not long after the weld cranked. Not on the cast iron itself, but right down the center of the weld.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Cast iron manifolds can be welded. It can be done...I've done it. TIG is nice but can be done with MIG. The trick is to be patient, go slow taking breaks so not to much heat is built up to create another crack.

Comment

If you decide to go the weld repair route this may help.

What helps make it work Stretchy nickel filler rod, preheat, peen the welds so they don't tug so hard on the brittle cast iron, etc.

===========

Brazing/bronze welding/braze welding can be used effectively on iron too, although bronze's relatively low melting temp and loss of strength at elevated temperatures might not work so well at the high temperature of an exhaust manifold.

Comment

Nickel welding rod, do a small one to two inch section at a time and peen each weld until cool to the touch.then do the next section the same way until complete. I worked in a fabricating shop as a welder and while discussing cast iron with an old German co-worker in broken english he said over and over, " Peen! Peen! Peen! Peen! Peen! Use a small ball/peen hammer and follow this procedure as I have done for many years and have never had one break again.
                      don

Comment

Working...
                      X