Restoring 1936 President.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Restoring 1936 President.

The car is in decent shape for almost 80 years old, but I'm looking for some parts. Need Exhaust manifold (broken), right front brake drum (cracked) and a windshield frame (missing). Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to our forum, Kevin. Most folks here are very familiar with the post war Studebakers (we all want to consider ourselves youngsters) but there are quite a few with special interest and experience with the pre war models as well.

Can we assume you have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club ? http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/join.asp
    And/or the Antique Studebaker Club? http://theantiquestudebakerclub.com/...ershippage.htm

Both will provide invaluable resources for your parts and technical needs.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had a 36 President about 8-9 years ago and it was a classy, Rick solid driver. Any pix you can share??

George

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum.

If you have the pieces, the exhaust manifold can be welded, but not by just anyone. I have used a very experienced blacksmith shop to weld/repair exhaust manifolds and never had a problem with them.

The closest that I had to your car was a 1940 President.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, I definitely joined the SDC. Seems this is a rather select group and I've been looking for parts and help.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studie str8 8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1692249Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05685.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1692250Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1011.jpg
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	1692251Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05354.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1692252Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05550.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1692253Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05638.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1692254 Here are some pictures. A couple of what the car looked like before we started working on it. Really in pretty good shape. Have the engine out and stripped. The head has a couple cracks in teh water jacket but O've found a shop that can repair the head and manifold. Had a cracked RF brake drum and actually picked one up on E-Bay! Now have the interior pretty well stripped out and starting to blast, needle and sand down to metal for soem spot weld repair. Lots to do, but we're finally moving! I'll try to post more as we move along.

Comment

Wow! That will be an impressive car when done. Looks like this is not your first rodeo.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Kevin I have an extra right front president brake drum. A co named NC industries makes new window frames. Their spaces at Hershey are close to where I stay , will grab a card. Will look for an extra exhaust manifold, they tend to crack and are hard to find. Jerry Kurtz York Pa

Comment

Sweet car.

Comment

This guy might have some things for you.

Comment

Kevin,

FYI many of the pre war Studebaker bunch hang out on the Studebaker section of the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) forum. You don't have to be a member to post or lurk, for that matter. The AACA has a great bimonthly magazine which is the reason that I continue my membership, but since there are absolutely no AACA events or activity at all in the Pacific NW that is the only reason that I would recommend joining. The car seems familiar, or maybe not. At any rate would you care to share the history of the car and how you came to acquire it?

Studebaker maintained a policy in the late thirties and early forties of using the same basic platform for two model years. Your car and the 1937 are basically the same, however, with cosmetic and numerous little mechanical changes became part of the 37. The President shares the body, from the cowl back with the Dictator but only the grill, and maybe the bumper, will interchange forward of the cowl. The windshields will not interchange between the 1936 and the 1937 but will interchange between President and Dictator for 1936. The 1936 windshield swings out, but the 1937 is staid with no such swing out feature. Most everything mechanical between the Presidents, will interchange. Even though the transmissions in the 36 and 37 will interchange, they are different. Nothing mechanical will interchange between the President and the Dictator.

I own two 1937 Presidents, a sedan and a coupe. There are also two other 37 President sedans in the Seattle area and A 1936 President coupe in Tacoma. Let me know if I can help with anything.-Bill

Comment

'Looks like a nice project to begin with, and the head and manifold should be repairable if done properly...maybe even better than new! It will be a smooth ride when done. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I actually picked up a drum on ebay for a great price. I've been in contact with NC as well. I appreciate the help

Comment

Wow! Excellent information. This confirms a few things I suspected. I found a shop that had a windshield template for a 36 Dictator and thought it looked about right. This is a huge help. Since you're so close I'd love to see your cars.
                            I picked up the car at an estate sale in Belfair WA a few years ago and it's just been sitting until the past month or so until we finally got started on it. Evidently the past owner had been very sick for quite a few years and the car just sat in his garage for about 10 years until he passed away, then they posted the car on Craigslist and we went to look at it and just loved the look and feel of the car.

Comment

Working...
                            X