Thread: My 1960 Hawk (and the Walleye)

My 1960 Hawk (and the Walleye)

My 1960 Hawk is a life-long Minnesota car that was built on July 10, 1960 and shipped to Unruh Motors in Alexandria, Minnesota. The car was restored back in 1990 and I am its fourth owner. It is a summer driver, not a show car, and its numerous chips and warts over the years are a testament to its well-earned driver status. However, it remains rust free and a really decent and reliable Studebaker. I did replace its original 289 with a freshly rebuilt '63 full-flow and swapped the 3-speed column with OD for a 5-speed overdrive. I have a Turner disc brake kit for it but thus far have only been motivated to move the cartons from one side of the garage to the other. But, that is not why you are reading this is it? You want to know about the big Walleye, right? Okay, read on.

My wife and I live on a lake in east central Minnesota. We both go fishing but my better half puts me to shame in both angling enthusiasm and proficiency. One day this spring she was fishing off the dock while I was out in the garage putzing on the Hawk. Suddenly, I heard her calling my name…only in that way a woman calls your name that tells you to immediately respond...or else. I looked out the garage door and saw her on the dock with fishing rod bent 90 degrees. Even though I was a couple hundred feet away I could hear the line being pulled off her reel.

"Tighten your drag!" I yelled (silently patting myself on the back for putting that extra tough line on her reel last month). She adjusted her drag and in doing so the yet unseen fish began pulling her toward the end of the dock! I stood there and watched in amazement as the aquatic beast pulled her ever so closer to the edge. Then, just as she reached the end of the dock, she grabbed the last dock post and tightly wrapped her legs around it. At that moment I swore that I would never again scoff at a Thighmaster infomercial.

Now, you must understand how stubborn my dearly beloved is. There was no way, she was going to allow whatever was on the other end of the line to best her. So, there she was with legs around the dock post, clutching the pole with both hands and yelling for me to do something…or else.

But, what can I do? I looked back into the garage...there... a heavy duty towing strap laying next to the Studebaker. Yes! The Studebaker! I grabbed the strap and jumped into the Hawk and summoned its trusty 289 to life. I jammed it into reverse and headed toward the dock and my wife, who I could see in the rear view mirror was now giving me "the look" in addition to yelling at a volume not unlike that of the tornado siren in our neighborhood.

I backed the Hawk close to the dock and quickly fastened one of the tow strap hooks to the back bumper then ran to my wife with the other end. I hooked the strap around her just as her tired legs lost their grip on the dock post. I got back in the Hawk and shifted into first gear.

For what seemed to be an eternity, me, the Hawk, my wife, the fishing pole and the fish were seemingly at a stalemate. But, the Studebaker was not to be denied this day. The stout V/8 gritted its teeth and the Twin Traction differential dug in. Slowly….ever so slowly…we moved forward until my wife and the Walleye pictured in the photo were pulled onto the shore.

While somewhat modest in size for a Minnesota Walleye, it was nonetheless mounted and put on display at the Rush City exit on Interstate 35. No official measurements were taken but it's slightly longer than the Hawk.

And that is how an old 1960 Studebaker Hawk landed a Walleye (and saved my wife).

Now, I can understand that you may be among the skeptics who will say that anglers from the land of 10,000 lakes are given to telling tall tales when it comes to their fishing prowess but, hey, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    Last edited by BShaw; 09-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarwheel.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Silver Hawk Member
    We just throw those little ones back in here on Saginaw Bay!! Well crafted and the Hawk looks great, Bob
    , ,

Would be nice with a close-up on those rims & hubcaps...
    Stick to your story, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Would be nice with a close-up on those rims & hubcaps...
    Stick to your story, why not?
    Steel Ralley-style 15x6 wheels from Wheel Vintiques (I think) with smooth trim rings and small caps. Powder-coated pretty close to the interior trim color. I have some small "lazy S" emblems I will be afixing to the caps one day.

Last edited by BShaw; 08-19-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota

Bob, upon closer examination of your photos of the alleged "Walleye", I have determined it to be a 1958 Packard Hawk. It appears to be missing the running gear....it may still be at the bottom of the lake.
    Oh, and one more thing.... if your wife happens to catch a 1956 Golden Hawk, I may be interested in purchasing it.
    Last edited by Milaca; 08-20-2014 at 09:39 PM.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Cool wheels, thanx!
    Always prettier with small caps also...

Champion Member
    I am restoring a 1961 Silver Hawk and trying to decide on an exterior color. I would really appreciate seeing any pictures that might help me decide.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THE BAKER View Post
    I am restoring a 1961 Silver Hawk and trying to decide on an exterior color. I would really appreciate seeing any pictures that might help me decide.
    If you aren't worried about originality, check out the '05 Thunderbird (one year only) color Cashmere. In the sunshine, it does things you won't believe.

Just adding a couple more photos...

Last edited by BShaw; 09-07-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota

Commander Member
    Where is your oil filter located? And where did you get the valve covers with two breathers.

It is a '63 full flow 289 so the oil filter is on the lower right of the block. Bought the valve covers off of eBay and they had the four breather holes already in them. They were powder coated black with the fin edges polished.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota

President Member
    Bob, what a nice clean looking Hawk - off set with the red wheels. as for post #9 I think I recognize the chrome dip stick
    Joseph R. Zeiger

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Bob, I am looking for a bench seat console/cup holder like the one I see in one of your interior shots. That one is perfect. Can you recall where you got it?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Quote Originally Posted by 63t-cab View Post
    Bob, what a nice clean looking Hawk - off set with the red wheels. as for post #9 I think I recognize the chrome dip stick
    Yessiree! That's the one you sent me, alright. Like many in the Studebaker hobby, my Hawk is made whole thanks to the parts from many fellow enthusiasts and a host of vendors.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota

^^ Amen to that, Bob!

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I posted this list a couple of years ago but these folks deserve another "thanks" for helping me keep my Hawk on the road:

Steve Brown
    John Caskey
    Chuck Collins
    Eric Gohdes
    Barry Hackney
    Ted Harbit
    Phil Harris
    Bob Kabchef
    Tom Karkiewicz
    Ernie Loga
    John Polous
    Richard Quinn
    Ed Reynolds
    Jeff Rice
    Dusty Taylor
    Dave Thibeault
    Jim Turner
    Frank van Doorn
    Jack Vines
    Henry Votel
    Joe Zeiger

(Apologies to anyone I may have missed)

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Bob, I am looking for a bench seat console/cup holder like the one I see in one of your interior shots. That one is perfect. Can you recall where you got it?
    The eBay store I got mine from doesn't offer them now but one source is www.cupholdersplus.com

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota

I am originally from the land of 10000 lakes, nice fish but I've caught bigger
    Mark Riesch
    Wilmington, NC

Quote Originally Posted by TXmark View Post
    I am originally from the land of 10000 lakes, nice fish but I've caught bigger
    If there's no picture (preferably next to a Studebaker to verify size), it didn't happen.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota

Bob,
    I'm originally from MN now Living in NC, that's a typical Minnesota FISH story, thanks for the grins
    mark riesch

Speedster Member
    What did your wife use for bait? I live in Minnesota and the biggest fish I've caught in the last 8 years was only half that size! Incidentally, your car looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by truckguy View Post
    What did your wife use for bait? I live in Minnesota and the biggest fish I've caught in the last 8 years was only half that size! Incidentally, your car looks great!
    My wife, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed), will not be pleased that I would reveal her angling secrets but, as we are all friends here and I can count on your discretion... she used a custom Studebaker crankbait to land that big walleye.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota