No announcement yet.

Need new carb on 289, Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Need new carb on 289, Any suggestions?

I have a 56 President Classic and it has not be driven in years. It seems to need a new carb and most likely a new fuel pump. From what I can tell, I believe the carb is a Carter 2394S. I found a place in Jersey that will rebuild it for $239. I've been searching on some of the Studebaker vendor sites, but I'm not finding anything. Should I upgrade? Holley or Edelbrock? Also, if I end up getting a new fuel pump, I've been told electronic is the way to go. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

Hello, I just finished rebuilding both my carb and my fuel pump. I am working on a 57 G H. The carb is a two barrel and the pump was old mech. Neither was too difficult. I am not familular with your 2394S but my kits were like $50 for each. Beware of what may be in the fuel tank, at lest drain, flush and add a see thu (glass) fuel filter. Good luck!

Comment

That's a good price on the rebuild. Also it fits properly, and you wont have to purchase a different air filter. Edelbrocks are a different size. Also you will have to buy an adapter plate to mount it to your manifold as there again, the Edelbrock is a different size. An electric fuel pump is good, but not absolutely necessary. A good modified Carter Mopar fuel pump, (sold by most vendors), and a return line to the tank, will work wonders for drivability.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've rebuilt my own and realized that after fifty or more years the bodies have lost the chromated finish that seals their porous nature. There are many good carb rebuilders but, Dave Thibeault will provide a superb rebuild, including all new cad plating and re-chromated carb body with a full guarantee for about what you have been quoted.
        He is all Studebaker all the time. Without dissing any other providers, he's as good as the best and none better. He can also deal with your pump, and upgrade to an intake with dual quads if you want! Well worth the shipping charges; or see him personally at any major Studebaker swap meet! Call him T-bow ! He will be at Reedsville, PA swap in November and York, PA swap in March.

Dave Thibeault
        13 Nick Lane
        Maynard, MA 01754
        (978) 897-3158
        Last edited by rockne10; 07-29-2014, 05:23 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I second the Dave T-bow recommendation. He does great work.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Actually, I'll give another opinion... buy an appropriate manifold, one of which I just sold, to accept a new Edelbrock. I've installed a number of them replacing badly worn or in some cases carbs with missing parts (one just after a rebuild from a Dallas "professional" with a nice company sticker on the carb, hehehe--telling everyone to STAY AWAY from them!) and I've had no problems with them, at all. As for the fuel pump, rebuild kits are available and as long as you are not reusing worn out parts with the new kit, they work fine. All the best.

Comment

I would stay far away from the rebuild kits currently available for the fuel pumps. The valves are very poorly made and nothing like the originals. Use the Mopar Carter pump and you'll never look back.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This is what I replied when you asked the question on another topic/thread (it was good to make it its own topic) -

My suggestion is have your original carb. rebuilt, not just a "kit", by someone that has experience and is trusted with these units.
                Since your next question will be - Who?, I would say Dave T. from the SDC vendors list or Daytona Carb. Co. (not sure if name is correct).
                If it is truly "past the point of no return" (which I doubt if the car was running and especially if it runs at all now), I would suggest an Edelbrock (don't remember the model number). This will require a different manifold, machining of your existing manifold or an adapter.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

See 4 BBL manifold on WWW.Studebakersonly.com. The Edelbrock bolts on directly and I also sell an insulator/spacer to aid the "percolation" problem with todays fuels.
                  Ken Michael 928-970-1562

Comment

I recently installed a Carter universal street electric fuel pump on my '64 259, and I love it-no more oil leaking from the mechanical pump (every rebuilt "Airtex" pump I've installed leaks after a short time) and driving it this week in 90 plus temps (no hard start etc) has me sold! It was a job installing the pump, on the frame near the tank, and splicing/bending new fuel lines, but was worth it.

Comment

Another vote for Dave T. - Also, for Ken Michael - He machined one of the first commercially available Stdude' manifolds (2 bbl to 4bbl) and does great work - I am using one of his conversions from about 2005.

Paul TK

Comment

Working...
                      X