1956 Studebaker President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Studebaker President

Just purchased 7/20/14. Was featured in Turning Wheels, October 1989. Currently has 42,500 miles. Has not been driven since 2008, but may not need much to get it back on the road. Paint has nice patina. Trying to find a copy of the owner's manual. No luck thus far.
    Attached Files
    1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

Owner's Manual is reprinted from SI for $30. Item # 801700.

Even if it has only been six years, good to review the following article before setting out on a road trip.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Really nice catch,more pics please.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

You have a real nice car there...Good luck with it!

Comment

rockne10. You are amazing! I've been looking for two days. Thank you so much!

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

Comment

The short story is I bought it on Sunday and was able to register, title, and insure it on Monday. However, the carb seems starved of gas, so it starts and runs, but not for long. Originally, I was going to tow it home and wrench it myself. Then I figured the smart thing would be to take it to the mechanic who has worked on it previously for a safety check and to establish a baseline. So it currently sits 4.7 miles from my home at the sellers home while I await to tow it later this week, as that is the earliest the mechanic could schedule it. However, I do visit it daily, so we are bonding. The long story is more pics to come, so many so, that I might be banned from the forum. Since rockne10 knew where to find the manual, does anyone know where I can get an extra set of keys?

Mt. Airy, Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Geigs View Post
              Since rockne10 knew where to find the manual, does anyone know where I can get an extra set of keys?
              You can buy the key blanks from Studebaker International and have them cut at any locksmith's shop. Larger shops may have generic key blanks for your locks, so if key authenticity is not important, just have them cut the keys.

(When I got back from Texas with my "new" 1964 Daytona Wagonaire in February 2013, I returned to 100-year-old Welworth Lock Company in downtown Indianapolis to have extra keys made. The guy stared at his big old dusty key board for a few minutes before I pointed out the row and peg to him, saying, "that's right where the blanks were in 2007 when I last came in for an extra set of Studebaker keys!") BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well done buying that 56. Saw some at the recent Dover meet, really lovely cars.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Geigs View Post
                  The short story is I bought it on Sunday and was able to register, title, and insure it on Monday. However, the carb seems starved of gas, so it starts and runs, but not for long. Originally, I was going to tow it home and wrench it myself. Then I figured the smart thing would be to take it to the mechanic who has worked on it previously for a safety check and to establish a baseline. So it currently sits 4.7 miles from my home at the sellers home while I await to tow it later this week, as that is the earliest the mechanic could schedule it. However, I do visit it daily, so we are bonding. The long story is more pics to come, so many so, that I might be banned from the forum. Since rockne10 knew where to find the manual, does anyone know where I can get an extra set of keys?
                  Hopefully, you didn't try to run the car on old gasoline that has been sitting in the car for years. You may need to change the fuel pump and flexible lines after changing the fuel.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Great-looking automobile

Comment

If it's potentially old rubber, it's suspect.... radiator hoses, tires, vac lines, brake lines, oil filter return lines, fuel lines pump to carb etc. If a rubber fail can be fatal to you or the car, don't take the risk.

Comment

Good looking ride.

Comment

Yes, I took everyone's advice and took it to a mechanic that had worked on it in the past. I'm having him go through everything in order to ensure it's safe. As noted, the gas is bad, so most likely will need to go over the fuel lines, carb, and pump. It also may need some front end work, most likely upper and lower front control arm bushings. Otherwise, it should be good to go.

Mt. Airy, Maryland

Comment

Working...
                          X