1964 Daytona Convertible Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW 64 DAYTONA CONVERTIBLE REGISTRY

Since no one has so far volunteered to develop a registry for 64 Daytona convertibles, at least for the present I'm going to start recording whatever information members have posted on this thread and we'll see how it goes. Soooo, if you have such a vehicle please post the information here. Be sure to provide all of the details (if known) indicated below.

Serial number
    Color - body/top/interior
    Assembly date
    Plant of assembly (South Bend or Hamilton)
    Owner's name
    Owner's location
    Licensed - Yes or No
    Engine type
    Special features/equipment/accessories

In the meantime I've asked our Turning Wheels editor if she has access to some earlier information on this model that may have been collected. So let's hear from you. For those who have already posted their information here, please re-post with all the information being requested.

Thanks.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Thanks for undertaking this endeavor, Mr. Chapman.
      I received the production order from the Studebaker Museum this Monday for my 1964 Daytona convertible. Per the production order, here are the stats:
      SN# 64V 8591 (interesting is that a typed serial number of 64V 8491 was typed over with ZXZXZXZXX, with the correct number typed above it)
      P 6416 MOONLIGHT SILVER (the car is currently faded Bordeaux Red. Silver with a white top seems unusual to me...)
      BLACK VINYL
      WHITE CONVERTIBLE TOP
      FLIGHT O MATIC
      289 CU IN ENGINE
      POWER STEERING
      WHITE SIDEWALLS
      FIRESTONE TIRES
      TINTED GLASS WINDSHIELD ONLY
      CLIMATIZER ELEC WINDS (wipers? washer?)
      RADIO PUSH UNDERCOATING
      FRONT BUMP REAR BUMPE
      WHEEL DISC
      Final assembly date of 9-26-1963 in South Bend, shipped to Waltham, Massachusetts
      The car is driven during the summer in central Minnesota.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You should have the Deluxe Windshield Washer that is automatic, when sprayed the wipers turn on.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

FURTHER INFORMATION NEEDED

I now have twelve 64 Daytona convertibles listed on the first draft of a new registry. Would the following Forum members who have posted on this thread please provide the information required in my post #31 so I can complete your documentation:
          Brain Greenall - assembly dates
          Neil Loughlin - interior color
          David Daoust - body/top/interior colors, assembly date, vehicle details
          Ed Jones - assembly date
          Robert Kapteyn - serial number, body/top/interior colors, assembly date
          John Krohn - serial number, body/top/interior colors, assembly date, home city/state

Now for some more challenges. In the May 1984 issue of Turning Wheels, the late Art Unger compiled considerable data on the 64 Daytona convertible. Do any of you out there know the whereabouts of the following cars and last known owners listed in that article:
          64VC1074 Gary Randall, Saskatoon SK
          64VC1126 Joe Wood, Lethbridge AB
          64VC1333 R. Nicholson, LaSalle QC
          64VC1352 Tom Smith, Tacoma WA
          64VC1450 Noel Reeve, Edmonton AB
          C500055 originally owned by Ray Martin, Jordan Station ON, now Sparta ON (car was sold several years ago)
          C500331 Kathy Baker, Vancouver BC
          C500850 Art Southworth, Edmonton AB
          C501459 Lyle Stratton, Longmont CO
          C501471 Bob Belling, Columbia CT
          C501732 Dick Head, Vancouver BC
          C501773 Roy Davis, Toronto ON
          C502274 Jim McCllen, Buchanan MI (Jim is deceased)
          C502553 Geoff Bedford, Fraser Lake BC
          C503386 Ed Reynolds, Claremont CA
          C503444 Jo Sawatsky, Winnipeg MB
          C504669 Joe Wood, Lethbridge AB
          C504944 John Kinbrough, Skitook OK
          64SC2036 Mary Prieve, Vernon BC
          C100501 Larry Schnell, Milwaukie OR
          C101663 Russ Haggen, Bellingham WA (V8 transplant)
          C101779 Ray Parker, Oliver BC

If any one knows of any other such models out there, please let me know.

Stu Chapman

Comment

C101663 now has a new owner on this forum, this is the Laguna Blue one with a 4 Speed transplant with a non-original Engine formally owned by Mrs. Granetelli.
            --- INCORRECT! ---

UPDATE:
            All I can tell you is that the New owner of Russ Haggen's Convertible is:
            First Name:
            David Last Name: Daoust Location: Stratham, NH

But, he says his is Serial Number: 64V18827 so C101663 apparently is NOT Russ's former Car and that makes that listing wrong.

It also makes the Granetelli Car: 64V18827 a NEW listing.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              C101663 now has a new owner on this forum, this is the Laguna Blue one with a 4 Speed transplant with a non-original Engine formally owned by Mrs. Granetelli.
              Can you obtain the Registry information needed to record this car?

Stu Chapman

Comment

We do have this in another Post for the Last R Powered Convertible:

BUT, I do not see ANY South Bend Convertibles in the Listing!
                Doesn't Larry Swanson also have one?
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We do have this in another Post for the Last R Powered Convertible:

BUT, I do not see ANY South Bend Convertibles in the Listing!
                  Doesn't Larry Swanson also have one?
                  The reason there were no South Bend convertibles listed is that there were none shown in Art's 1984 story, as we was searching out Canadian-built units. I have no idea if Larry Swanson has a 64 convert. Do you know who owns the car for which you have posted the build order?

Stu Chapman

Comment

I think Larry still has his 64 cvt Ray M

Comment

Originally posted by mrjazzmillcreek View Post
                      I think Larry still has his 64 cvt Ray M
                      On the assumption he looks at the Forum maybe he'll respond to requests. I'm not going to individually chase possible owners.

Stu Chapman

Comment

--- INCORRECT! ---

UPDATE:
                        All I can tell you is that the New owner of Russ Haggen's Convertible is:
                        First Name:
                        David Last Name: Daoust Location: Stratham, NH

But, he says his is Serial Number: 64V18827 so C101663 apparently is NOT Russ's former Car and that makes that listing wrong.

It also makes the Granetelli Car: 64V18827 a NEW listing.
                        So now we need to know who the owner of the Granatelli car is but it's not 64V18827 as we've established that belongs to David Daoust.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                          So now we need to know who the owner of the Granatelli car is but it's not 64V18827 as we've established that belongs to David Daoust.
                          Stu, it you look on page 9 in your July, 1986 Turning Wheels, you will see 64V18827 is indeed tagged, 'Sold to Granatelli'.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Stu, it you look on page 9 in your July, 1986 Turning Wheels, you will see 64V18827 is indeed tagged, 'Sold to Granatelli'.

Craig
                            I agree. David Daoust has already advised this is his car but there's been no comment from him about owning Russ Haggen's car so I'm going to drop any reference to that.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Stu,

Thanks for doing this. The interior color on my convertible is blue. It was assembled 10/21/63. I have owned it since 1981.
                              Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop
                              1962 Champ Truck
                              1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Good roster, Stu; thanks.

Mine is 64V4240. Built September 5, 1963. Shipped to Coggins Motors in Charlottesville VA.

259 / 180 HP / column-shift Flightomatic. Engine #VJ303. Body #158.

Astra White (one of 99 South Bend Astra White convertibles), black top / black, individually-adjustable front seats.

Power Steering, AM/FM Radio, Clock, Whitewalls, Wheel Covers, Padded Sun Visors, Climatizer, Undercoating, Wheel Discs.

Mostly original paint, original top (bad), approximately 63,000 actual miles.

Studebaker built 17 1964 South Bend convertibles in Astra White with black tops and black interiors. Mine happens to be the first of those 17. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X