Powder Coating Valve Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Powder Coating Valve Covers

I'm thinking about Powder Coating my valve covers John Deere yellow on my '64 Hawk. Is this a good idea, or should I just paint them?

Thanks,

Dan

Powder coating usually starts with sandblasting the parts. Can't do that on rocker covers because some sand will inevitably get behind the inside bracing. If you have them soda blasted, that will wash away and won't cause any problems.

But yes, powder coating is much more durable than paint.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I would think powder coating would be to thick and may not cool as good. If you paint them John Deere green your car may try to pull towards a cornfield.

Comment

Thanks, can anyone confirm if John Deere "yellow" is the correct shade?

Comment

Yes I can say it is TOO Bright, the Valve Cover Yellow was a Pale Yellow. ####@@@@
          NOT: ####@@@@
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sure...why not.
            I've had rocker covers done in several coatings over the years.

But like Jack notes, if you have the four hole covers....make SURE that they get all of the blast media out from around the upper supports and the gasket rail.
            Talk this over with the person you talk to when you walk in the shop.

And...don't worry about any cooling losses..! It would be immeasurable.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Does this look like the correct yellow?

Comment

Question that was asked recently: Has anyone had valve covers powder coated w/ "shiny chrome-like" finish. And, did the shine hold up to the heat and oil?
                Paul TK

Comment

Working...
                X