Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackhawk61 Jr. (1/18 scale) Final Pics !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhawk61 Jr. (1/18 scale) Final Pics !

I want to build a 1/18 scale model of My 1961 Hawk. I have in the past "modified" plastic models to be what I wanted but all I seem to be able to find is Die cast models and only in 1957 Golden Hawk. I need to reshape some areas (front of fin),(hood) and make the "K" body into a "C" body....With plastic there are fillers (kinda like bondo) available. What can You do with die cast ?.My first attempt at this ....SUGGESTIONS ?

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

I'm building my 51 at 1:1 scale!!!

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Mold/sculpt the parts you want on a 1/18 scale diecast, pull them off make a female mold and cast in resin.
      Then attach those parts to the 1/18th model.

Big time model builders do it all the time.
      Find a good hobby store and they should be able to help...or contact the nearest chapter of the IPMS, International Plasic Modelers Society. It will have someone to give advise.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Contact David Shrock, Coal Town Penn. It might be pricy, but I'll bet with his talents he can take a '57 1/18th scale die cast and turn it into a '61. Another sourse is Roberto the modeler in South America, he can build you a 1/12th scale model of your '61 from scratch. If interested in Roberto, email me at LTCRP@NETSCAPE.COM and I will send you the details. Roberto has done 10-15 Studebakers to date. I and folks I know that had Roberto do a model were very well pleased. Price was $125.00 + postage.

Comment

Richard,
          I think you mean David Shrock in Coalport, Pa. Here's a link to the Shrock Brothers' world of Studebaker miniatures.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A friend whom we recently lost was great at building his models. He was doing some diecast 1/18 and was using bondo!. Right before we lost him he gave me a 1/25 61 hawk which is red with the white in the fin just like mine. He hand made the grills, bumpers etc out of aluminum. I feel very honored to have received such a nice gift.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk
            1964 Convertable
            1967 Avanti
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

There is gentlemanin the UK who specializes in converting 1/43 scale cars into exact replicas of your cars. He starts with diecast cars and then casts parts from his own molds. While his prices start at around 200 pounds..( can't find the pound key). He might help.

If you have a basic 1/18 scale model in hand and have the ability to form your own master you can use a casting resin made by a company called Smooth On. Once mixed and allowed to cure, about 30 min. it can be drilled, machined, tapped and has phenominal strength.

We used it to make mandrels to hold plastic model railroad cars so we could pad print them. The only draw back is shaping it as it is so hard it takes forever to sand. You also can use a thin polyester body filler that works wonders.

Comment

If your interested in Studebaker and related makes of toys/models send me your email address. Send to LTCRP@NETSCAPE.COM. You will receive my "HEADS UP" when I know of a new Studebaker, Packard or Pierce Arrow scheduled for release
                (P & PA only of the years associated w/Studebaker).

Comment

I'm not sure if you just want to HAVE a model of your '61 Hawk or if you really want to BUILD a model. Some other members have suggested possible sources that might build a model for you. If you really want to build your own the first thing to do is disassemble your diecast and strip it down to bare metal. There are a number of strippers that work pretty well (including Easy-Off oven cleaner). My favorite is a product called Easy Lift Off that works well and won't damage any plastic parts. It's usually available at hobby shops.

After that, most of the techniques that you'd use on plastic will work on metal. Of course, typical glues for plastic don't work on metal. That will need superglue or epoxy. Bondo one part Spot Putty is a pretty good filler that works well on plastic or metal. 3M's Acryl Blue (or Acryl Green) is even better. Duplicolor auto paints or Krylon will work well on metal or plastic. Be sure to prime first with the same brand as the paint that you'll use. As you get into the specifics details of the project and have questions, I'd recommend that you go to the Model Cars Magazine forum as a source of good advice.

Manuel J. Martinez
                  Baton Rouge, LA
                  Manuel J. Martinez
                  Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

From what response I have had ...I think I will take a Anson 1/18 diecast of a 1957 Golden Hawk and Modify it to be a 1961 Hawk...The hood is probably going to be the biggest challenge since the raised addition (to clear the s/c ) should not be there

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC

Comment

Making progress ......Got my Anson model completely dissasmbled(without breaking anything)bead blast metal parts now...

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC

Ken Byrd
                      Lewisville,NC

Comment

I'm interested...
                        Make two (One in red)
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by blackhawk61

Making progress ......Got my Anson model completely dissasmbled(without breaking anything)bead blast metal parts now...Will try to take some pics for anyone interested.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Please keep posting pictures as you go. I know Joe Parsons would be interested in a narrative of the process for an article in the Toy Studebaker Collectors Club Newsletter.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

Ok ..Gary I will try to do that.
                            Ken
                            quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Please keep posting pictures as you go. I know Joe Parsons would be interested in a narrative of the process for an article in the Toy Studebaker Collectors Club Newsletter.

Gary Sanders
                            Nixa, MO
                            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                            1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC

Ken Byrd
                            Lewisville,NC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by blackhawk61

Making progress ......Got my Anson model completely dissasmbled(without breaking anything)bead blast metal parts now...
                              Do you have a Dremel tool? They make some nice tips that would allow you to cut down the hood in very small increments.

I had planned a bunch of years ago to model the "body drop" on the assembly line with the '50 burgandy bullet nose. All I have accomplished is haveg the body seprated from the chassis.

Comment

Working...
                              X