Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAD Ideas : Mustang GT and Cobra brake adapter bracket update

President Member
    As I mentioned above, I have a preliminary two piece bracket, one part replaces the old backing
    plate and re-enforcement plate. This design places the seal in the right location on the tapered
    hub, and a second piece bolts to it which makes it GT or Cobra. Here is the GT version.

Both parts are flat plate with no machining over the shape and holes. There is also no right/left,
    since they just get arranged differently on either side, and it bolts to the outside of the shims, so
    there is no difference from side to side other than manufacturing tolerance. Now to confirm they
    work with the two aftermarket flanged kits, and the later Studebaker flanged axle. Forward!

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Tom,

Great job and the will for sticking to this project.

I used Tom's 04 front brackets for the 61 R1 lark.

And with Tom's help I, Like Jim, made my rear brackets.

I'm doing two more cars and look forward to getting this setup again..

Commander Member
    Tom,

Thanks for continuing with this project. Keep us posted! Maybe I will have a Spring surprise for my Avanti!!!

Steve

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post
    Tom,

Great job and the will for sticking to this project.

I used Tom's 04 front brackets for the 61 R1 lark. And with Tom's help I, Like Jim, made my rear brackets.

I'm doing two more cars and look forward to getting this setup again..
    Thanks, and yes you did some beautiful work on that project and the rear brackets you ended
    up with. I have wanted to offer a rear setup for some time, though I admit the interest in rear
    disc is less common on Studebakers. Granted, that might change as the younger crowd moves
    into Studebakers as a base for modifying. Again, beautiful work on that Lark!

Quote Originally Posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for continuing with this project. Keep us posted! Maybe I will have a Spring surprise for my Avanti!!!

Steve
    Steve,

I am doing what I can to make it happen, today I am painting boards to put my roof back
    together, its been a frustrating effort finding the lack of quality in a 20 yo house! Still not
    a peep back from Fairborn or Studebakers West on their axle designs.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

President Member
    I have good news and I have bad news. The bad news: the project stalled for the time being.
    The good news: I got a job after a year and a half search! The economy is really poor right
    now so I am glad to have received an offer from a company that moved to my area. I sounds
    like a great opportunity and so far is going well.

Prior to the stall, I did get contacted by Fairborn and found out that Studebaker West simply
    copied the Fairborn design. The bracket that I designed for the tapered axle will not work in
    the flanged axle design, ONLY because the bearing is pressed onto the axle shaft and has the
    chance of being ruined by removal. So back to the inside of the axle flange - again!

Tom

Great looking stuff! I appreciate all your ideas and hard work.
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"
    53 Champion Starlight
    53-55 Starliner For Sale or Trade

Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Commander Member
    Tom,

Congrats on a successful job hunt! I guess I will be patiently waiting on your new brake-throughs, too.

Steve

President Member
    Has it been 6 months? I guess so, since I just made my 6 months at my new job. I have been sourcing
    a few different shops to make brackets and having mixed results. I got one quote back which was very
    promising, I was ordering material when I noticed a strange blurb in the quote. I questioned and found it
    wasnt for machine work, but only cutting the blank with a water jet. Nice, but not a useful part. Also I
    have been having a heck of a time getting material quotes, it looks like material has almost doubled in a
    few years since I last ordered. That alone could be the deal killer, that and machine labor. Frustrating to
    say the least. My work has a full machine shop, but everything is in use at the moment.

Tom

President Member
    Great news on the job!! Are we still working with the Aluminum or have we moved on to steel? Might be more cost effective in machining and bending some steel plate. Looking forward to availability!!! Would be nice to bolt in a factory matched Ford set, rather than mixing and matching GM and Ford parts.

President Member
    Yes, the plan is to go with steel, most likely A36 steel. With the help of a Forum member and one
    of my very first customers, it looks like we will finally have a first article for testing!! Once we get
    the basics worked out, I am hoping we can hammer out some rear brackets as well.

Tom

Commander Member

Mustang GT/Cobra Brake Adapter bracket for old Avantis

Quote Originally Posted by sbca96 View Post
    Yes, the plan is to go with steel, most likely A36 steel. With the help of a Forum member and one
    of my very first customers, it looks like we will finally have a first article for testing!! Once we get
    the basics worked out, I am hoping we can hammer out some rear brackets as well.

Tom
    Hey, Tom,

How is this project looking? I am hoping to convert my 63 Avanti front and rear brakes over to your new setup this summer.

Thanks for all of your efforts over the years to keep these classics on the road and to improve them somewhat along the way.

Steve

President Member
    Me three! Waiting on your production items, then decide if I'm going to just slip an 8.8 in or update the old Dana 44 for the rears. Hope to hear soon.
    Fred

Waiting for fronts myself don't feel need or expense for four wheel discs on Clipper

Awesome stuff!

President Member
    Thanks all .. its moving forward .. though slowly. The first two sets were received back from the waterjet
    house and are going to the CNC machinist. There was a slight glitch as I sent the two piece design rather
    then the single piece design. The only effect is the grease trap, so we can still check fitment.

Tom

Champion Member
    Hi Tom,
    I was interested in a set of the aluminum specific 2 piston brackets that fits the 15 in wheels, if they are still available. I have a set of like new calipers and I have 12 in rotors and PBR calipers on the rear of my 53 Commander. I assume you are using a 12 in rotor for the front setup.
    Please let me know of availability, as they are very nicely made.
    Thanx,
    Keith

President Member
    Hi Tom,
    With the server update, I see some images didn't make it. I'm still interested in the stock GT style adapters, should I PM to preorder?
    Fred

President Member
    Hey all, it appears I am again looking for another machine shop. The person I was working with hasn't responded to an email since end of May.

Keith, per our emails back and forth, there are two factory rotors used in the front of 4th Gen Mustangs, one was 11 inch and the other was the Cobra 13 inch.

Tom

President Member
    Hey all, it appears I am again looking for another machine shop. The person I was working with hasn't responded to an email since end of May.

Keith, per our emails back and forth, there are two factory rotors used in the front of 4th Gen Mustangs, one was 11 inch and the other was the Cobra 13 inch.

Tom
    Are you still working with aluminum or have you switched to steel? How big a batch are you contemplating? Maybe there is member with access to produce these-that won't keep putting you off. Are the rear brackets still in design?

President Member

Tom
    I PM you a shop that can do the work. Jim

President Member
    The design has switched to steel, the design was intended to be waterjet cut to reduce waste. Whats stalling is finding a shop that does both. If I have blanks cut and ship to another shop for final machining the costs are WAY higher then one shop doing it all. I have feelers out to about 5 shops, I am hopeful that one can do what I am asking. Some claim they are a CNC machining shop, and reveal after contact they "only" do Waterjet.

Thanks Jim . I got your message. I will consider it if the more local shops let me down once again. I realize that its basically simple once the right place is found.

Tom

President Member

Finally some good news

After quite a long search, and a lot of letdowns .. I found a shop that was able to make this happen.

The machining and plating is complete, just the Laser Etching of the logo remains. Payment was sent Via USPS on Friday and I hope to have the finished parts before the end of the month.

Here are some teaser pictures :

The new GEN II brackets are laser cut from A514 steel and are clear zinc plated for rust resistance. They also will include laser cut brake hose to frame brackets, also zinc plated. The new design brackets are one size fits all, so there is no need to decide which calipers you want to use up front. The thickness of the material is also matched to the thickness of the Mustang spindle, so factory caliper mounting hardware can be used. Since they are now based off the actual Mustang spindle shape, they can use any aftermarket systems available for 1994-2004 Mustangs.

For those that like to read about this : A514 is a high strength alloy steel with a yield strength of 100,000 psi - not your average mild steel.

Thanks again for your interest, sorry about the wait!

Tom

Your product will probably never be on my car, but it is cool to see that someone has the imagination and drive to produce these items for our cars.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

So, these are still the front brackets? How is the rear for flanged axles brackets coming along?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Tom, could I p.m. you for info on your systems? I have a '64 GT Hawk that I want to install "good" disc brakes all around. I'll need info for master cylinders and the entire system. Also, I intend to convert the pedals to suspended, so the master/booster will be firewall mounted. Thanks for any help you might have. Bill Van Alstyne

Glad to hear that the product is near production. I like the idea of using Studebaker hub and bearing without spacer and steel bracket is best material in my mind

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 52-fan View Post
    Your product will probably never be on my car, but it is cool to see that someone has the imagination and drive to produce these items for our cars.
    Thanks for the kind words. Disc brakes are pretty much a must have now-a-days as just about any
    modern vehicle (of any size) on the road can out stop a 4 wheel drum car. Keep in mind that this is
    also a simple base Mustang GT disc setup, a single piston caliper and 11 inch vented rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    So, these are still the front brackets? How is the rear for flanged axles brackets coming along?
    This is the front brackets, the rear brakes are a tricky animal and there are options out there now
    for a Dana 44. The issue is that there are basically three versions of Dana 44, tapered, the factory
    flanged and the aftermarket flanged. Each one has its own needs. I had a design I felt pretty good
    about until it was blown out of the water with the pressed on bearing the aftermarket one uses. The
    plan was to get a working relationship with a shop and then see about moving forward on a universal
    rear setup. I have some ideas ..

Quote Originally Posted by bill van alstyne View Post
    Tom, could I p.m. you for info on your systems? I have a '64 GT Hawk that I want to install "good" disc brakes all around. I'll need info for master cylinders and the entire system. Also, I intend to convert the pedals to suspended, so the master/booster will be firewall mounted. Thanks for any help you might have. Bill Van Alstyne
    Bill, feel free to PM me or email direct at SBCA96 @ aol.com (remove the spaces)

Quote Originally Posted by acolds View Post
    Glad to hear that the product is near production. I like the idea of using Studebaker hub and bearing without spacer and steel bracket is best material in my mind
    Thanks .. the Shop has agreed to send me a set before the full shipment, so that I could bring them
    to the SDC 32 Annual Winter Meet in Oxnard, California on March 12th. Unfortunately, my Avanti isnt
    up to the trip with a bad throwout bearing.

https://visitoxnard.com/event/la-stu...ard-show-2017/

Tom

Commander Member

Modern Design Disk Brakes for Avanti and other Studes

Tom,

Count me in for a set of front brackets for my 63 R1 Avanti. The brackets look beautiful, too! I think my Avanti has the dreaded tapered rear axle design, but I will have to double check on that and get back to you. Now I just have to remember where I stored my Mustang GT front calipers and rotors for this project. Congrats on pursuing this project for us!!

Let us know what you decide on pricing for the parts and shipping costs. Shipment to me would be to Zipcode 89703 (Carson City, NV).

regards,

Steve

Thanks for the kind words. Disc brakes are pretty much a must have now-a-days as just about any
    modern vehicle (of any size) on the road can out stop a 4 wheel drum car. Keep in mind that this is
    also a simple base Mustang GT disc setup, a single piston caliper and 11 inch vented rotor.

This is the front brackets, the rear brakes are a tricky animal and there are options out there now
    for a Dana 44. The issue is that there are basically three versions of Dana 44, tapered, the factory
    flanged and the aftermarket flanged. Each one has its own needs. I had a design I felt pretty good
    about until it was blown out of the water with the pressed on bearing the aftermarket one uses. The
    plan was to get a working relationship with a shop and then see about moving forward on a universal
    rear setup. I have some ideas ..

Bill, feel free to PM me or email direct at SBCA96 @ aol.com (remove the spaces)

Thanks .. the Shop has agreed to send me a set before the full shipment, so that I could bring them
    to the SDC 32 Annual Winter Meet in Oxnard, California on March 12th. Unfortunately, my Avanti isnt
    up to the trip with a bad throwout bearing.

https://visitoxnard.com/event/la-stu...ard-show-2017/

Tom

With your effort and detail oriented information will you include list of all small parts needed for installation such as bolt sizes and related hardware, brake hoses , line adapters and such. To enable first time users being able to have all needed parts on hand when starting job rather than make extra trips to get parts. After reading entire post very complete in details thanks for your work and dedication to this project. Will your finished product have a proper name?

President Member
    I have a list of the parts needed, with part numbers, like the shouldered wheel studs and such.

Tom

President Member

Parts are here!

Received the parts today, they look quite nice in person too. The 6061-T6 version was 2 pounds each, the Alloy Steel is 3.5 pounds each, not that much. 1-1/2 pound difference per side.

I need to install a set and make sure everything lines up correctly before I can start shipping them out.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Those are truly beautiful. Nice work!
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Having a QA and machine shop background I will say they look almost to nice to install on spindle and cover with a rotor and caliper . The time and effort you put in the project shows in the results.

id be interested in a set as well. I was looking for a cost but didn't see , have you price pointed these yet?
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

President Member
    Nice work Tom.

Mike

President Member
    Thanks for all the interest and kind words.

I am in the process of getting the wifes 1986 IROC out of the garage and my dad's 1969 Avanti II in so I can do a fresh install.

I am not sure what the Forum rules are about posting pricing of things, so until I know its best to keep to PM or email.

Tom

President Member
    Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
    Jim Turner has been manufacturing disk brake systems for years with hundreds of sets sold to many satisfied customers.
    The market is small and discouraging if someone tries to duplicate your efforts.
    Support your vendors.

http://www.turnerbrake.com/intro.html

Robert Kapteyn

Quote Originally Posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
    Jim Turner has been manufacturing disk brake systems for years with hundreds of sets sold to many satisfied customers.
    The market is small and discouraging if someone tries to duplicate your efforts.
    Support your vendors.

Robert Kapteyn
    Robert,
    I understand and mostly agree with your point of view, but I think improving upon something should be encouraged. The benefit of Tom's disc brake setup is that it uses newer and improved disc calipers.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

The idea of using stock Studebaker hub adding Mustang caliper and disc and also to go to larger diameter with same setup is a marked
    advantage in my view. Getting a kit from Tom would make him the vendor I would be supporting

President Member
    Hey all, sorry for the delay. I got my dads Avanti into the garage finally to do the install and confirm fitment
    but I got sidetracked. The drivers side power window didnt work, so I read some things and figured that just
    a simple cleanup of the motor and I would be good to go. That turned into finding the door had a large hole
    in the center where the lift pivot mounts and a repair I didnt want to leave. I also found the factory rubber
    dipped motor had filled with water and looked like something recovered from the Titanic. The more I got into
    it the more it got involved - as these things tend to do. The stock motor is hard to find and expensive, so I
    checked a mid-1990s GM motor I had laying around .. and now I am making yet another prototype adapter to
    test. I will create a separate thread for that effort, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks to all the supporters of new ideas and alternatives.

Tom