Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAD Ideas : Mustang GT and Cobra brake adapter bracket update

President Member

Slow Progress

I also should mention that I messed up my back starting at work a week ago, then carrying over to work around
    the house, so I am taking it slow .. tonight - jack the car up, support it, and remove wheels.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

President Member
    Taking it slow.... Off with the old ...

Now wipe up some of the crud ..

This surface is where the adapter sits, and what makes it true to the spindle. Same mounting as the original 6061-T6 Adapter.

Best to use a scraper and make sure there isnt anything keeping the Adapter from sitting flat.

Then I use a flat fine file and just lightly run it over the face to make sure there aren't any burrs. JUST the face of the spindle, don't nick the seal surface!

All clean and ready for the Adapter.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

President Member
    I had a bag of bolts left over from the prototype install a decade ago .. so back in use ..

Don't forget to torque things ...

Also left over was the original hubs I had modified for the 11" GT rotors, since the inside diameter of the rotor "hat" is smaller than the Studebaker hub, the outside diameter needs to be turned down. This is not required for the 13" Cobra rotors. Also the hubs have the shouldered wheel studs installed .. all covered in earlier posts on the Forum.

The Mustang rotor is drilled with a metric size, they are drilled out just slightly to slide on the wheel stud shoulders, again, all this covered on earlier posts. I use the wheel nuts flipped backward - flat side toward the rotor to "Draw" the rotor onto the stud shoulder. You dont want to hammer since you will push the studs out. Once this is done, the rotor stays put with wheel removals.

Tom

President Member
    Here is the huge Mustang GT Caliper, with pads that make the stock front brakes look like rear calipers.

Looking good I'll say ... there you go Dad! This has been waiting in my garage for a decade to go on his car - since before he was diagnosed.

Tom

President Member
    Hey all,

Sorry this project kinda stalled. I think I mentioned that the Ford power window motor gave up the ghost on the drivers door so I have
    been working on a GM motor to Studebaker regulator adapter (yes its complete and works beautifully) so the brake 'stopped abruptly'.

Also needed attention were the brake hose adapters. I never offered these before and so this was a prototype run, for which I had a
    set of 25 made. Unfortunately, I measured wrong and the through hole feature for the hose was too small. I figured out a rework and
    got in line with a local machine shop for an opening. The parts are fixed and I just need to install a set on my Dads car to confirm.

I was also able to check the factory steel wheel. These are most definitely "drum brake" wheels, they do not have a provision for the
    caliper. It is clear why even Turner Brakes requires modern 'disc brake" wheels. The factory wheels have the welded area right at the
    caliper level. I have been sourcing 15 inch steel wheels and found that the 1994-1996 Mustang V6 DID have 15 inch steel wheels. The
    Part number is a F4ZZ1007E which appears to cross to a Keystone STL03102U. It is a 15 x 6.5 inch wheel, but not overly common.

Just so you know we are still moving forward now .. though slowly. Thanks for your patience and interest.

Tom
    Last edited by sbca96; 06-01-2017 at 01:29 AM.

President Member
    Got a little more done, attacked the passenger side. Same process as the drivers.

Mounted the GT modified Hub .. remember the outer edge of the Hug needs to be machined just enough to fit into the hat of the rotor.

The hub fits into the center of the bracket, which includes a grease trap that Studebaker included in their design.

I was able to bleed the brakes just fine and finally got a good pedal. I hope to get it out of the garage this weekend and get a few
    pictures of the car with the new wheels. I got the same rims that I have on my black Avanti, but they only had black left. It looks
    better then I thought .. might not be for everyone .. but I will run them for now and possibly chrome them in a few years.

Tom

President Member
    Don't remember you mentioning that you used lock tight on all the brake components?? It's very important in certain places.

Treblig

President Member
    The Caliper bolts have loctite on them when you use the factory ones, in other areas I used bolts, with lock washers AND crimp lock nuts.

We are fine .. but yes .. thats good to note.

Tom

President Member
    Tom, which mc are you using with your set up? I have done several disc brake conversions using stude vendors kits and can say I think the drum brakes were actually better. I have a lot of issues with pedal feel and lack of good pedal. One thing I did find out is the relationship between the mc and calipers, both must be matching quick uptake or regular uptake. I had a heck of a time with the disc brake conversion kit on a 60 Champ PU until I finally matched them up. Now the brakes are very good. Also have been conversing with a long time Studebaker mechanic in North Fla that has the same poor pedal/brake issues with disc brake conversion kits that I have had.
    He has decided to quit doing the conversions and stick with drum brakes.
    53commander HDTP
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Kdancy View Post
    Tom, which mc are you using with your set up? I have done several disc brake conversions using stude vendors kits and can say I think the drum brakes were actually better. I have a lot of issues with pedal feel and lack of good pedal. One thing I did find out is the relationship between the mc and calipers, both must be matching quick uptake or regular uptake. I had a heck of a time with the disc brake conversion kit on a 60 Champ PU until I finally matched them up. Now the brakes are very good. Also have been conversing with a long time Studebaker mechanic in North Fla that has the same poor pedal/brake issues with disc brake conversion kits that I have had.
    He has decided to quit doing the conversions and stick with drum brakes.
    Main reason I switched to DBs on all Studes many years ago is brake shoe material; just cannot find shoes lined with bronze sintered asbestos anymore, and the EPA mandated material is junk. A year or so ago, I saw a for sale ad in the Swap section here for NOS shoes lined with, "the good stuff". I ASSumed the seller was talking about bronze and asbestos. The last drum braked Hawk I had would go through red lights with me standing on the pedal; minimal initial grab, and they faded to nothing within a few feet.

Another problem inherent with drums is that they pull side to side. When Stude advertised their DBs in 1963, they touted how DBs have, "straight line stopping". Anyone who has driven with drum brakes much knows exactly what they were referring to.

I would never advise anyone to go back to drum brakes, who actually drives their Stude at modern speeds. The life you save may be your own.

Tom, thanks for all the work you are doing to develop even more refined DBs for our Studes
    Last edited by JoeHall; 07-02-2017 at 09:19 AM.

President Member
    The Master I have been using and the one that I swapped over to on my Dads Avanti is the Dodge dual master.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/repstuavMC.html

Mid 70's Chrysler. NAPA # 36307 or new number M2066
    Bore Size:1 1/32"

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMAM2066

I have to agree on the drum brake experience that JoeHall speaks of. I had 4 wheel drums on my Hawk and it wasn't safe to drive. I recall driving down a long hill in traffic and when I reached the bottom standing on the pedal as hard as I could and STILL running a stop sign. I had forgot about the pulling side to side! You never knew which way it would go, but it sure did, sometimes with serious force! With the majority of modern cars stopping in less than 130 feet from 60 mph, and your 4 wheel drum Studebaker stopping in 150 to 200 or more .. better stock up on front sheetmetal and insurance.

As for an update .. I am currently shipping out a couple sets for feedback, one gentleman has been SUPER patient and pivotal in keeping me motivated.

My Dad had loved the Cobra wheels that I bought some years ago for my Avanti, I even went through the steps to get a quote on shipping them to Michigan for him :

That wasnt meant to be when he took ill and started the dark road into Alzheimer. So when I received his Avanti I got in touch with the company AFS wheels and bought 4 of the last 6 wheels they had. I wanted chrome, but beggars cant be choosers and I ended up with black painted.

This will do for now, it actually is starting to grow on me. The bumpers need chrome, so I might get a quote for gloss vinyl wrap.... carbon fiber? Hmm.

Tom

President Member
    Hello all,

I have been busy trying to get my dads Avanti ready for a cruise night and car show, so these updates stalled.

As you can see there was another Avanti, a 1970 .. and it was blue .. with brown interior. It was also originally brown exterior and both cars only had the outside repainted so the door jams, underhood and trunk are still brown. This means that everyone at the show will assume Avantis were all blue with brown interior. I heard a little girl say, "look there are two the same". Sigh.

The beautiful 1959 Silver Hawk between the two Avantis won the division.

I have 3 sets of prototypes out for testing/comments. The initial feedback has been positive on the Gen II design.

I will shortly be sending out an email to all those that wanted to be added on a waiting list.

Tom

President Member
    I have too many projects, thats becoming very obvious. Brakes are still working great on both my Avantis, the 13" Cobra ones and the 11" GT on my Dads Avanti II above. It appears I am not the only one whose projects seem to stall because another takes priority, but all 3 test sets projects have slowed. I can honestly say none are related to brakes. If anyone else is waiting in the wings, the initial fitment feedback was good with no surprises reported. Let me know if you want to move forward.

Here is my wife and I driving to the Nojoqui Falls car show off US101. I am in the 1963 following her driving my dads 1969 Avanti II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicDeUBxFI8

Tom
    Last edited by sbca96; 11-06-2018 at 03:57 AM.

"Nojoqui Falls car show off " Is that where all the cars were coming from Sunday (11/4) afternoon? Several turned off the highway here at Cathedral Oaks around 2pm. Seems a bit early for a car show to be over.