Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAD Ideas : Mustang GT and Cobra brake adapter bracket update

President Member

RAD Ideas : Mustang GT and Cobra brake adapter bracket update

I haven't really posted much on any of the three forums in the last year or so, but I
    thought I would give an update on what I have been currently working on. Many of
    you will recall that I created an adapter back in 2006 to mount 1994-2004 Mustang
    brakes onto a Studebaker spindle, using the existing Studebaker drum brake hub.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...read.php?64873

Carrying 3, only slightly, different brackets was frustrating and not cost effective. So,
    I have been in the process of redesigning the bracket to work in all three variations.
    Using steel to cut material costs, reduce machining operations and the manufacturing
    cost. First step was to borrow a SN95 steering knuckle and create a solid model of
    it, and the hub for a design study :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMqHObo2WDo

I also started a model of the Studebaker knuckle assembly to compare dimensions of
    the two more closely. I will add to this when I get the dimensions I need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvNHQtZbGJA

I completed the initial 'GEN II' change, but need to take my Avanti apart to get a few
    dimensions rechecked. I want to trial fit a few hubs to check the hub face to flange
    tolerance that Studebaker allowed.

Next step after this is to finalize the rear brake adapter design. The rear bracket hole
    spacing (center of wheel to caliper holes) is different (unlike the front) as they used
    the same caliper for GT or Cobra in the rear, just moved it outward for the larger rotor.

That's all I have right now, just felt the need to share.

If anyone is interested in a Cobra setup for their Studebaker, I have one set of Cobra
    6061-T6 brackets left, as long as the steel design works out as I plan, this set will be
    the last of the aircraft grade aluminum brackets available.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Speedster Member
    Good to hear an update, esp. re the rear (needed) disc system.
    Paul TK

President Member
    Thanks Paul.

This is what I have been up to, hanging out over at the 2nd Gen Camaro forum building
    a car for my wife ...

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188458

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbca96 View Post
    Thanks Paul.

This is what I have been up to, hanging out over at the 2nd Gen Camaro forum building
    a car for my wife ...

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188458

Tom

BTW, nice mod to make the flush mount stereo in the post. Post more, Bob
    , ,

President Member
    Thanks Bob, it was quite an undertaking cutting a stereo apart, but I figured that it was
    worthwhile since I can utilize it on the Avanti. I kinda stay off most of the Studebaker
    forums for reasons I'm sure you are familiar with. I thought I would give it a shot again
    to test the waters, so far SDC has been ok, but I left Racing Studebakers again for now.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    BTW, nice mod to make the flush mount stereo in the post. Post more, Bob

President Member
    Another update, I removed the 13" Cobra brakes and the hub, then the GEN1 bracket to
    check my measurements against the SN95 assembly model created in the video above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOM3RZnMA9s

The GEN1 bracket is added in this video as transparent to show the spindle.

Tom

President Member
    First version of the PBR caliper and 13 inch rotor.

More detail added to the PBR caliper.

Tom

President Member
    Been away from this for a while....

Pulled apart the rear brakes on the Avanti to measure and create 3D models of the GT setup. I am
    also researching the Cobra rear setup parts to order and create mounts that will accommodate both
    setups. Seems possible.

Tom

Hi Tom,
    Are you using Autocad? Solidworks? Looks good.

Commander Member

Cobra Brake Adapter Questions

Been away from this for a while....

Pulled apart the rear brakes on the Avanti to measure and create 3D models of the GT setup. I am
    also researching the Cobra rear setup parts to order and create mounts that will accommodate both
    setups. Seems possible.

Tom
    Tom,

Keep us posted on your progress. Your CAD drawings look great. What mods will the rear wheel brackets require to the original Stude Avanti hubs, if any? What is the size of the 2003 Cobra rear rotors?

A bolt on setup would be great for me, but I could live with some minor machine work, too...

Steve

President Member
    Looks great Mike,
    The only problem for me would be the use of 13" rotors, as most would prefer to retain 15" wheels. I'm thinking of doing a rear axle change to a Ford Exporer 8.8 with rear discs already there at 11.3 inches and 15's fit as they are the standard size. Looking at cost as a part of this brake change, what are the chances an Explorer front disc, also 11.3 would work, after machining the front hub to allow the rotor to be a slip off type? These rotors are available from $22.00 each as a hat only, makes "rebraking" real cost effective!!

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Are you using Autocad? Solidworks? Looks good.
    Scott,

It is a 3D modeling software.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
    Tom,

Keep us posted on your progress. Your CAD drawings look great. What mods will the rear wheel brackets require to the original Stude Avanti hubs, if any? What is the size of the 2003 Cobra rear rotors?

A bolt on setup would be great for me, but I could live with some minor machine work, too...

Steve
    Steve,

The brackets I have on the rear of my Avanti are modified Ford parts, they simply bolt onto the
    inner surface of the axle tube flange using 3 of the 4 bolts. The hub is the same one the drum
    is mounted to. I pressed out the studs and drilled them just like the front hubs and used those
    same shouldered studs to center the rotor. The only thing that I found was over the years the
    rear hubs get distorted from the forces generated pulling the hub off the tapered axle shafts. I
    had my hubs put on a lathe and just cleaned up on the front face. This is not a requirement, I
    also found that a solid blow from a short sledge will move the hub face a tad to fix runout issues.

Cobra rear rotor is 11.65 inches and it is vented, while the GT is 10.5 and solid.

Quote Originally Posted by karterfred88 View Post
    Looks great Mike,
    The only problem for me would be the use of 13" rotors, as most would prefer to retain 15" wheels. I'm thinking of doing a rear axle change to a Ford Exporer 8.8 with rear discs already there at 11.3 inches and 15's fit as they are the standard size. Looking at cost as a part of this brake change, what are the chances an Explorer front disc, also 11.3 would work, after machining the front hub to allow the rotor to be a slip off type? These rotors are available from $22.00 each as a hat only, makes "rebraking" real cost effective!!
    Mike? hmmm.

The problem with using a different rotor design from what matches the Cobra is the offset of the
    hat and the rotor diameter. Ford designed the front setup to use the same caliper mounting hole
    for both GT and Cobra. The calipers actually make up for the difference in rotor size. If I was to
    go with a different smaller rotor (to replace the 11 inch GT I assume is your question), it would
    require a different caliper and possibly different mounting hole locations. That would require the
    use of different caliper mounting brackets for the front again - which I am trying to avoid. With
    a simple machining to the outside edge of the stock Studebaker hub, the GT rotor slides on just
    fine. This is a one time modification just like the stud change, from that point on you just get a
    Ford part, open the holes a tad (as shown in my threads) and they slide onto the shoulder studs.

The GT version of this setup allows the use of 15" wheels. Only the Cobra setup needs 17+.

For the record, GT rear rotor is $29 and the front is $32 dollars at your local auto parts store.

Tom
    Last edited by sbca96; 09-28-2014 at 08:10 PM.

President Member

Cobra/Mach1 Caliper Bracket added

I ordered the Cobra/Mach1 caliper bracket which allows the use of the 11.65 inch Cobra rotor to
    be used in the design. The setup in use on my Avanti for years now has been the 10.5 inch GT
    rotor and caliper bracket. Ford used the same hydraulic caliper, but changed the pads, rotor and
    mounting to fit the two different versions. The plan is to make ONE bracket that mounts to the
    Dana 44, but allows either setup to be installed. Here are the preliminary Cobra additions :

And a view of the Ford parking brake setup, which actually works with the stock Studebaker pull
    cables already on your car.

Here is a short video showing the difference between the two setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ZNmHBKaY0

Tom
    Last edited by sbca96; 09-28-2014 at 09:27 PM.

President Member
    Mike,
    Since you're using Mustang brakes now on your Avanti, are you still using the Bendix booster? Have you considered or tried switching to a Hydraboost system not dependent on engine vacuum?
    Last edited by karterfred88; 09-30-2014 at 01:45 PM.

[QUOTE=karterfred88;872908]Mike,
    Since you're using Mustang brakes now on your Avanti, are you still using the Bendix booster? Have you considered or tried switching to a Hydraboost system not dependent on engine vacuum?[/QUOTE
    I'm using a hydroboost system for the Paxton Novi blown R4 I'm building.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

President Member
    Scott,

Ford designed the front setup to use the same caliper mounting hole
    for both GT and Cobra. The calipers actually make up for the difference in rotor size. If I was to
    go with a different smaller rotor (to replace the 11 inch GT I assume is your question), it would
    require a different caliper and possibly different mounting hole locations. That would require the
    use of different caliper mounting brackets for the front again - which I am trying to avoid. With
    a simple machining to the outside edge of the stock Studebaker hub, the GT rotor slides on just
    fine. This is a one time modification just like the stud change, from that point on you just get a
    Ford part, open the holes a tad (as shown in my threads) and they slide onto the shoulder studs.

The GT version of this setup allows the use of 15" wheels. Only the Cobra setup needs 17+.

For the record, GT rear rotor is $29 and the front is $32 dollars at your local auto parts store.

Tom
    What year Mustang uses an 11" front rotor? All I can find are references to a 10.5 (or 10.8 on some replacement part sites). The 10.5 appears to be the same part number as the Explorer 2WD. Even though the rears on the Explorer are 11.22 so I think I could use your new front set up to mix/match to the standard Explorer rear end with disc brakes and 32 spline axles. The reason I want to be sure they'll be compatible is I need to get rid of the stock Dana 44. It needs a rebuild, has the 4.09 up diff ( not very daily driver friendly) and needs new rear drums. Changing the diff and gears, axles to flanged and new drums makes it not worth the effort. Since the Explorer rear end is so close to a bolt in, except moving the spring pads in 3/4" per side and locating new traction bar mounts, a used assembly, even rebuilding it completely is way less than working on the Dana.

Speedster Member
    Tom, Good to hear you're still working on the rear adapter plate. My 77 Dana 44 has six bolts (5 and 7 o'clock, 10 and 2, and 11 and 1). I read IH Scouts have the same axle seals, etc. … for what I believe are my HD, 31 splined, flanged axles. Keep up the good work!
    Doug

President Member
    Mike,
    Since you're using Mustang brakes now on your Avanti, are you still using the Bendix booster? Have you considered or tried switching to a Hydraboost system not dependent on engine vacuum?
    The idea is to make available modern options at the wheels. Someone could certainly adapt the
    hydroboost if they wanted. I personally never saw a problem with the old school vacuum booster
    arrangement. Also, as far as I can tell, Ford has abandoned the hydroboost setup anyway. One
    has to wonder why. FYI, my name isnt "Mike".

What year Mustang uses an 11" front rotor? .. snip ... It needs a rebuild, has the 4.09 up diff ( not very daily driver friendly) and needs new rear drums. Changing the diff and gears, axles to flanged and new drums makes it not worth the effort. Since the Explorer rear end is so close to a bolt in, except moving the spring pads in 3/4" per side and locating new traction bar mounts, a used assembly, even rebuilding it completely is way less than working on the Dana.
    The 1994-2004 Mustang GT used an "11" inch rotor in the front, it might actually measure slightly
    less but its always referred too as "11 inch" in passing. "13 inch" for Cobra.

I am not familiar with the Explorer axle. Is it an 8.8 assembly? I have read they are solid-well
    built axles and I was considering one for my Avanti as well, but I figure its best to stick with the
    Dana 44 as most people with Studebakers wont have the know how or facilities to convert an
    8.8 to fit their Studebaker. My Avanti has the 3.31 Dana TT from my Hawk that was wrecked
    years ago. The TT works fine, but the axle is tapered and lacks the Radius Rod stands. I figure
    once I do the flanged upgrade, I will have the stands welded on and add the Gib-trac setup. As
    of now, I just stay off the gas, it tends to wheel hop in 2nd gear with the Hawk heads installed
    and the TKO gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Springstreet View Post
    Tom, Good to hear you're still working on the rear adapter plate. My 77 Dana 44 has six bolts (5 and 7 o'clock, 10 and 2, and 11 and 1). I read IH Scouts have the same axle seals, etc. … for what I believe are my HD, 31 splined, flanged axles. Keep up the good work!
    Doug
    Doug,

Thanks .. its a slow process and costs money to get the parts to measure. I wonder how I can
    find the info of that 6 bolt pattern, did they add two more bolts and keep the other four the
    same? Being out of work limits the funds to spend on this and my wifes '99 Camaro SS LS1
    sprung an oil leak that is proving difficult to resolve. At the moment it leaks the same amount
    of oil as my 50 year old Avanti (which has the original seals!).

Tom
    Last edited by sbca96; 10-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.

President Member
    Sorry Tom,
    My mind was elsewhere when I referred to you as Mike, my bad. The explorer 96 up to I think 2002 is an 8.8 32 spline. The sites I visited didn't refer to the GT brakes as 11" but 10.5". Anyway the Explorer front rotors match the part number for the GT fronts, but the calipers are different. So your new brackets will work for me!! As to your Camaro oil leak, can't help you there. The LS v8 is too different from my 4.3 V6 to compare, but If it has an engine oil cooler check the block where the hoses mount. Another famous Chev spot is the rear valley cover/manifold seal to the block. Springstreet-- why not make a template off the housing end on stiff paper and send it Tom

President Member
    I see where the confusion is. The GT Mustang uses a 10.86" diameter front rotor (referred as 11")
    and 10.5" diameter rear rotor. I thought you were referring to the front rotor rather then the back.
    I didn't want to mix models with the setup, since I figure many people would just grab the parts off
    of a car in the salvage yard, and take everything at once.

So you are saying that the rotor the 1994-2004 Mustang uses in the front is the same rotor that
    an Explorer uses in the rear? That explains why they use a different caliper, the front rotor is an
    inch thick as compared to the solid rear rotors just over a half inch thick. Even the vented Cobra
    rear rotor is just shy of 3/4 inch thick. Neither the GT or the Cobra rear caliper will accommodate
    a one inch thick rotor.

Tom

Diesels still use the Hydroboost, and for a supercharged car, it makes sense to use hydraulic pressure instead of non existent, or very little vacuum. I think Ford probably dropped it on the Mustang because of cost. Their diesel pickups still use it. But then again diesels make up to 50 or so lbs of turbo boost !!!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

President Member
    Also Mustangs went to Electric power steering, thus they could leave off the power steering pump, to gain a few net HP. The Autozone site listed both the explorer RWD front rotor and the GT front rotors with the same part number, but it varies from one source to the next on actual diameters of each. Could be they are close enough to use in both. For me it is a way to put decent brakes on the front and use the already present disc brakes on the Explorer rear without mixing Chevy, Ford and Cadillac parts to get a complete modern braking system ( and be cheap at the same time!).
    Tom
    By the way, do you still have some of the GT brackets or are they all gone. My rear end has so much lash, and the pinion flange has so much play that I'm considering doing the rear end swap sooner rather than later, instead of getting into spending a fortune rebuilding the old Dana.
    Last edited by karterfred88; 10-04-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Commander Member
    Tom,

Just wanted to let you know that I am still very interested in your Mustang disk brake setup for the front and rear of my 63 Avanti. I like the fact that there are all kinds of "performance brake" options available due to your choice of 1994-2004 Mustang brakes as your basic foundation. There are also so many Mustangs out there, in my lifetime, I will never have to chase down some lower production number parts.

I am planning to use 13 inch drilled and slotted Cobra rotors and calipers in the front and "11 inch" drilled and slotted Cobra rotors and calipers on the back. The rotors and ceramic pads are available quite inexpensively through amazon.com, powerstop.com, summitracing.com and rockauto.com, as well as others; I think the powerstop guys even have red powder coated calipers available for the rear of the 04 Cobras (not sure about availability of red powder-coated front calipers from these guys).

My Avanti needs rear axle brake work right now and I would like to do this disk brake conversion sooner rather than later.

Hopefully you have enough interest from others on this forum to go forward with this project. Let us know your development plans for your "Gen II" brackets when you can.

BTW, I just installed some Powerstop zinc-plated, drilled and slotted rotors on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They look great and stop great, solving the typical warped rotor issues that a number of these Jeeps have. I even ordered a set of these Powerstop vented rotors for another car that has some minor brake issues. I guess these Northern NV hills/mountains are sort of tough on brakes.

President Member
    Not knocking Tom's brake setup, it works great. I made my own rear brackets as they weren't available several years back when I got mine. Just a caution about the drilled and slotted rotors. Most folks are finding that the benefits of the drilling in particular are not worth the constant replacement due to cracking. For track only cars where the rotors are considered throw away items after each event maybe. But daily drivers will find slotted only last longer and neither drilled or slotted to last best.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmccuan View Post
    Not knocking Tom's brake setup, it works great. I made my own rear brackets as they weren't available several years back when I got mine. Just a caution about the drilled and slotted rotors. Most folks are finding that the benefits of the drilling in particular are not worth the constant replacement due to cracking. For track only cars where the rotors are considered throw away items after each event maybe. But daily drivers will find slotted only last longer and neither drilled or slotted to last best.
    Jim,

I hear you about the possible rotor cracking issue due to cross-drilling. However, the Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior drilled and slotted rotors have a beveled shoulder at the outside edge of each cross-through hole that "should" reduce the cracking problem. Powerstop also has a two year warranty against cracking, so I was willing to take a chance. For certain, high rotor heat under mountain braking conditions caused my Jeep's OEM rotors to warp. The non-vented rear rotors were the worst warp victims, too, although you would think the front rotors suffered the most during mountain braking.

Thanks for your feedback on Tom's Gen I disk brake setup.

President Member
    Tom,
    PM sent--do you have any of your original adapters for the 11" mustang GT?

President Member
    By the way, do you still have some of the GT brackets or are they all gone.
    Unfortunately, I do not have any stock left on the original brackets. In the past I have only
    made about 10 sets at a time. I have also decided to make the leap into finally offering a rear
    bracket. This is a slightly tricky area, as Ford used two separate brackets for the rear. Plan is
    to use just one bracket for either options.

Tom,

Just wanted to let you know that I am still very interested in your Mustang disk brake setup for the front and rear of my 63 Avanti. I like the fact that there are all kinds of "performance brake" options available due to your choice of 1994-2004 Mustang brakes as your basic foundation. There are also so many Mustangs out there, in my lifetime, I will never have to chase down some lower production number parts.
    Thanks for your kind words, and yes the idea is to have ultra common parts available, whether a
    person grabs "Take offs" from Craigslist, or buys new on one of the many online sites, or just
    takes a trip to the local FLAPS. I think part of the confusion within the Studebaker world is
    having OPTIONS, that's something you just don't have normally. I guess that's why some people
    are still holding onto the idea my design doesn't allow the use of 15 inch wheels. The Cobra setup
    is an option, the original brakes seen in my magazine article, and on the forums 8 years ago are
    just plain old GT single piston with an 11 inch rotor. Easy peasy to fit in a 15 inch rim.

Options go beyond the Cobra's 13 inch rotor, there's a Baer setup that uses a 14 inch rotor and
    a 6 piston caliper. The idea of using the drilled AND slotted rotors on my Avanti was for the
    look, the zinc plating really keeps them nice looking. In order to really SHOW the options I
    had to go to the extreme, drilled and slotted was the way to accomplish this.

Thanks, it has been on my car now for getting near a decade, I haven't had any negative feedback
    on fitment or on in service use. I recall sending the modification drawings to you to modify
    your Cobra rear brackets. I actually recently un-boxed the ones you started to modify, but sent
    to me after you cut a set of your own. Did you put them onto the car ever? The center hole
    isn't enlarged, and the counter-bore was never created? I used them to create the 3D model of a
    Cobra bracket seen in the CAD files above.

I have had the drilled and slotted rotors on the Avanti for quite some time now, and do not see
    any cracks forming. The Avanti does not get driven "Daily" but I do not know of many Studebaker
    owners that drive theirs daily. The drilled holes are all countersunk, so this might help. As
    I mentioned above, I used the drilled and slotted rotors to SHOW the options available. Think of
    it as a model home with the French Door upgrade, perhaps not super practical, but darn pretty!

Jim,

I hear you about the possible rotor cracking issue due to cross-drilling. However, the Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior drilled and slotted rotors have a beveled shoulder at the outside edge of each cross-through hole that "should" reduce the cracking problem. Powerstop also has a two year warranty against cracking, so I was willing to take a chance. For certain, high rotor heat under mountain braking conditions caused my Jeep's OEM rotors to warp. The non-vented rear rotors were the worst warp victims, too, although you would think the front rotors suffered the most during mountain braking.

Thanks for your feedback on Tom's Gen I disk brake setup.
    My wife warps her 1999 Camaro SS 12 inch rotors (w/2 piston caliper) every couple months.

Tom,
    PM sent--do you have any of your original adapters for the 11" mustang GT?
    Sorry .. I replied above and via PM.

Tom

President Member
    I had the Ford ones on my '66 but made the stainless steel ones I sent you the CAD drawings for on the laser I was setting up for a customer. I believe they were DXF's as I work in SolidWorks. The stainless looks a lot nicer than the cut up Ford pieces and the stone guards fit better. I wasn't thrilled about the way the Ford pieces had the countersinks. The plates I made allowed me to shim the calipers to get them dead center over the discs as the end play adjustment on the right axle causes the disc to space differently than the left. There is enough space when the caliper retracts to clear OK, but I just wanted it dead center.
    Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

President Member
    Jim,

I get what you are saying, its just odd the mounting holes are off (rotated) and the center hole is
    too small to fit my tapered axle Dana 44 housing. It looks like it was mounted at some point, but it
    must not have been on the inside of the axle housing flange? Yes, I noticed a difference right to
    left, but I ended up making them the same and have not had any issues. The new design will have
    shims and no counter bore, since its a clean slate, not Ford bracket.

I will PM you on some further questions.

Tom

President Member
    Still working on entering all the data for the rear brakes into the 3D software. I took apart the
    Avanti rear brakes and re-measured EVERYTHING. My notes are from 2006 and I wanted to get
    refreshed with how everything fit (or in some cases didnt fit). I have a couple emails to Dana
    in an attempt to get some iges or step files of the center section. I do not really need it for this
    effort, but it would make the model look better. I had some ideas for future suspension mods so
    the info might be handy. I was disappointed to find that the e-brake support on the caliper will
    interfere with a double duty rear bracket .. so back to two separate rear brackets : GT / Cobra.

The 3D model is coming along ... there are quite a few 3D models for Ford 9 inch, but not Dana.

I even decided to model the wheels I used, its not as easy as it sounds, had to create the profile
    of the wheel, then cut the spokes out, but they draft outward, the software did not allow a draft
    cut to a projected surface. I figured out a work around.

Tom
    Last edited by sbca96; 11-21-2014 at 06:02 AM.

Hey, Tom. Good to see you here. People as smart as you are a great asset to the club, and to the hobby in general!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

President Member
    You might check with the offroad Jeep folks for the Dana 44 model. They do more mods than everyone else combined. I got a fantastic rear cover with bearing support from DTS in Louisville.
    Jim

Commander Member
    Tom,

Glad you are still on the case. The CAD drawings are beautiful.

My new 17" Cobra wheels are now sitting in the garage next to some rebuilt and powder coated 03/04 Cobra 13" front calipers/brackets that I just purchased from a local racer friend of mine. Please keep me on the top of your list when you have some disk brake conversion brackets ready for sale or prototype fitments on my 63 Avanti.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Hey, Tom. Good to see you here. People as smart as you are a great asset to the club, and to the hobby in general!
    Thanks Bob, there are many here that contribute, I am just doing what I can.

You might check with the offroad Jeep folks for the Dana 44 model.
    I thought that too, I contacted Dynatrac since they make custom Dana 44 and Dana 60 axles
    for offroad use and have screenshots posted in some online articles that show a 3D software,
    but they didn't even reply back! It bugs me when a Vender has a website and a contact email
    and dont bother checking or replying. What I was asking for isnt am intellectual property of
    theirs, they use the Dana housings. I am moving slowly up the chain of command at Dana ..
    so hopefully that gets me something.

Glad you are still on the case. The CAD drawings are beautiful.
    They are coming along ... just hate the center section, its just a basic rough-in. I did some
    e-brake cable models based on info provided by Karl Sparks. I had stalled on coming up with
    something and Karl is a crafty guy so he made a bracket that uses one of the caliper bolts. I
    am going to incorporate a bracket that uses its own bolt, so that torquing the caliper bracket
    isnt affected. I made a prototype for my Avanti, but the use of the caliper bolt you have to
    balance tightening with keeping the bracket from rotating - quite frustrating.

Tom

President Member
    Just a note that I am still working on this, though its been slowed from job search and I found
    that I have a hole in the roof of my house!! A rain storm (yes RAIN in California!) let me know
    about this in early December. I have a tile roof, and its near the chimney so when the wall on
    the side of the fireplace dumped water under the carpet, I knew I had a problem. Trying to do
    work on the roof during California's rainy season really sucks. First the temp patch, now its all
    torn up and piles of tile on the back porch. Home ownership is the American dream?

The front redesign has been completed now for a while, the rear is slow going as I keep trying
    to make something that can be used for either GT or Cobra and the hole distance is different.
    I also upgraded my PC RAM to handle the models better, but the new-to-me awesome video
    card took a dump. If I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Hopefully the next post has a completed rear design! I contacted a few water jet CNC shops
    to get an idea of the process for a quote. No word back from either Dana or Dynatrac on the
    Dana 44 solid models.

Tom

Commander Member
    My Avanti is quietly resting here for the winter season, but she is still looking forward to sporting a set of SBCA96 disk brakes and 17 inch Cobra wheels when you have completed things in 2015!

President Member
    I got a response back from Dana .. unfortunately its not the one I wanted :

Hi Tom,

I have been instructed that this type of information cannot be provided as Dana does not provide drawings and/or models as they are the intellectual property of Dana Holding Corp, and it is against our corporate policy.

Regards,

President Member
    Just an out-in-left-field idea for sourcing your 3D files for the rear axle--have you tried Currie or another after marker axle housing manufacturers? They might be a little more sympathetic as you won't be making rear ends and they might have what you need already since they make aftermarket parts to fit the Dana 44 already.
    I'm waiting on the front adapters to start my conversion, but think shoving a late 90's Explorer 8.8 with rear disks will be good enough for the rears, too much to do to the original tapered axle rear to make it cost effective. For the cost of flanged axle conversion, disc rear brake conversion and time used, I can put in 3 good used 8.8 assemblies and just put new perches and traction bar brackets on them.
    Last edited by karterfred88; 01-22-2015 at 12:49 PM.

President Member
    Yes.. I tried Dynatrac, they make custom Dana 44's for offroad use.

Tom

Just an out-in-left-field idea for sourcing your 3D files for the rear axle--have you tried Currie or another after marker axle housing manufacturers?

President Member
    I have a preliminary rear bracket design, one which fits either side, takes in account the shims,
    and has a swappable piece to work with GT or Cobra. Next step is to make sure that it will be
    comparable with both flanged axle kits on the market. I have an email into Phil Harris, and will
    be emailing the other source today. Pictures will follow.

Tom