Need a studebaker mechanic in Central Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Need a studebaker mechanic in Central Massachusetts

I have a '63 Avanti R2 I'd love to drive! I need to have my power steering control valve rebuilt (I got the kit from Dave Thibault) and I need to have my bell crank arm replaced (Dave said he'd get one made up.) The problem is, I need a mechanic that knows these cars! I love the guy that's been working on it, but he doesn't know Studebakers, and it's time to find someone who does. But I sure can't get the car very far as it is! Anyone know a mechanic that knows Studebakers in Central Mass? Too bad Johnny's Motor Sales isn't still open!

W.C.D. Garage Inc., 44 West Main St., Northborough, MA.

Comment

There is also always the factory shop manual that could be used by any mechanic with reading ability. If you are doing the work yourself, you need the manual and the parts catalogs. If you are paying and trusting someone else to do the work, you need to supply them with the manual and parts catalogs.
      Last edited by rockne10; 04-15-2014, 12:17 AM.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by avanti1982 View Post
        W.C.D. Garage Inc., 44 West Main St., Northborough, MA.
        They'd be the best, but they're booked until winter!

Comment

Originally posted by dstreb View Post
          They'd be the best, but they're booked until winter!
          Realistically, you can still buy a rebuilt cylinder (if you don't trust a local to do it) and bell crank. Most any front end shop should be able to handle the installation including replacing the bell crank bushings/bearings.

My local suspension shop in a city of 38K souls in Michigan would not flinch at doing what you need so I would think a similar shop should be available in your area if you ask around. The secret around here is to find a shop that does trucks also. Heck, I'd do it if you were closer, that's how straight forward it is. Take the manual if you are nervous.

Bob
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-15-2014, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I'm a little confused here.....What bellcrank part has to be "made up" ? If its the bellcrank bushings and shaft that needs replacing, I think SI does that..... If not, ask WCD which machine shop they use for other shop stuff. I had mine rebuilt here in Plymouth Mass for under $50. The control valve really only needs 2 seals and correct install...... Now, if you need a bellcrank for PS, I have a good used one (if it's the same for non-Avanti cars...)

Comment

Working...
            X