Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona 500 2014

Well, the big day is here....
    This is a live camera site , showing the Speedway from the NASCAR Hdqtr building
    across the street. Camera 3 is the best shot.
    Weather is quite nice this morning ,but a chance of passing showers will be a threat
    later in the day. Right now it is about 68 deg at my house .
    I'll watch on TV , but can hear the cars quite well here in the house. If I take a quick walk
    outside to loosen up , a sudden silence notifies me that a caution has come out , so back in
    to catch up.

Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Really not the 'Big Day' that it used to be

Comment

Surprisingly, it still hurts me to remember the loss of Dale, even 13 years on. My interest in Cup has faded starting with trying to convince me that a Taurus could in any way be a race car. But then a Toyletota? Gag me. What ultimately what drags me back, at least for the 500, is the same thing that has kept me in racing going into my 41st year: The sound of a racing V-8 engine. I am literally addicted. Cannot get enough of it.

So today I say, 'go win, somebody I don't know', or maybe Dale Jr. I guess. Whoever. But whatever it is, let me hear those engines doing their thing, blowing through fossil fuels to annoy the nut jobs, and making that beautiful, beautiful sound
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Forget Daytona - real gearheads go out to the salt.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Phooey on the weather. If NASCAR does get running , it likely will interfere with the
          NHRA event from Phoenix 8pm tonite on ESPN2 . I will record that , and try to not know
          who wins out there until I can watch it tomorrow . Fortunately our local paper
          ignores drag racing , so most likely I can avoid seeing NHRA the results .
          Bill H
          Daytona Beach
          SDC member since 1970

Comment

Have the TV on in the shop...
            Glad there is something else to watch besides last years race (rain delay)
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

They could all be remote controlled and it would interest me more. A soap opera on wheels is not my thing. Lets make 'em UNLIMITED with NO drivers. Of course the crash walls would have to be reinforced, but at least it would be interesting!!!!.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Not a big NASCAR fan, only be cause the "real" race is in Speedway Indiana! <G> Where they make it around the 2.5 oval in about 41 or 42 seconds per lap!
                Actually, since they cut the whole month of May down to two weeks, it's not near as fun. I used to go out on bump day with pit & garage passes, but, that is NOT that much fun anymore. Last year, we went out on Military Day and had a blast.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Back in 2011, two weeks before the race, there was a big car show and club meet at the Speedway.

I managed to drive my "other" car through Gasoline Alley before they had a guard at the gate. That was a lot of fun!
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hendricks wins again.....yawn....glad it was junior instead of Johnson.

Another couple million dollars of cars destroyed at another restrictor plate demo derby.....yawn.

They need to throw away those restrictor plates and knock down the banking at Daytona and Talladega.

Plate racing is not real racing.
                    Last edited by t walgamuth; 02-24-2014, 06:04 AM.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

A late , but great finish .
                      Good for Jr. , and good for the sport .

On to Phoenix !
                      Bill H
                      Daytona Beach
                      SDC member since 1970

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                        Johnson wins again.....yawn.

Another couple million dollars of cars destroyed at another restrictor plate demo derby.....yawn.

They need to throw away those restrictor plates and knock down the banking at Daytona and Talladega.

Plate racing is not real racing.
                        Dale Jr. won not Johnson. They replayed last years race.
                        Last edited by Son O Lark; 02-24-2014, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I realized that and corrected my post. I fell asleep before it was over and got cornfused.

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally Posted by Son O Lark

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                            Yeah, I realized that and corrected my post. I fell asleep before it was over and got cornfused.
                            Don't feel bad....
                            It confused several legit news organizations, too...

And the track announcers were getting tons of e-mails correcting them about saying 'Juan Montoya' in the Target car.
                            I had the race on in the shop and didn't pay any attention to it.
                            Came in at 8pm and watched the Drag racing, and flipped back and forth to Daytona.
                            Didn't miss anything, fer sure...

The race did show one thing....
                            This year's car is fast, but nobody can pass, unless the 'side draft'.
                            So now you have cars weaving all over to get ahead...
                            And if you weave like that in a pack, and have somebody on your rear quarter panel...
                            Whoop! Around you go.
                            Almost all of the pack wrecks were caused that way.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sad times... gi'me back the early 70's NOW!!!
                              Please?

Comment

Working...
                              X