Rack & Pinion Conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack & Pinion Conversions

Anyone have a particular rack & pinion set-up to use in '63 Lark chassis?

I used a '93 Pontiac rack in by boat-tailed speedster, but I used Medallionin tie rods my boat-tailed speedster

If you do a "search"....you'll find out it's more work than it's worth for little to no gain.
    Some may tell you it's the greatest thing...I'd say to that, they aren't much of a driver.

I've yet to see good steering geometry with a R&P steering on a Stude suspension!

Mike

Comment

Hi, Mike,

Agree with you, as usual. My qualifier would be, "with a conventional rack. Only a rack with long tie rods attached in the center, as per the OEM Stude design, will avoid bump-steer difficulties."

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Well, the '93 Pontiac attaches in the center. I saw a '33 Reo Flying Cloud at a show last week. He used a Chrysler K car rack, but it had other suspension. I am working on re-bodying a Lark chassis and moved the engine back about 12". The open body will resemble a mid '30s era European sports car.

Comment

jv -

Correct....with a caviat....the tie rods need to be similar in length to the lower A-arm.
          While it's much more complicated than that....that's basically what's required.

Much upper arm, lower arm and connecting lines measuring is needed before one goes out and slaps on a R&P...on any conventional box steered car.

Mike

Comment

Hi, jacsprat,

As always, your car, your money, your decision. The simplicity of the solid front axle was a hallmark of all the mid-30s sports cars. One thing which always gave away the Excaliber and kit car conversions is the modern pressed steel independent front suspension exposed for all to see.

You used the '93 Pontiac/small GM center pivot rack on your previous conversion and it was a good fit because it puts the tie rods in the same location as the OEM Studebaker. Is there some reason you wouldn't use it for this project?

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jacsprat

Anyone have a particular rack & pinion set-up to use in '63 Lark chassis?

I used a '93 Pontiac rack in by boat-tailed speedster, but I used Medallionin tie rods my boat-tailed speedster
              Here's how I did it.

Jerry Forrester
              Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
              X