Shift Indicator dial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Shift Indicator dial

I want to install a GM transmission in my 64 Cruiser. I have read the posts over time on this, but there is one thing that I have not seen. What do people do for the indicator on the steering column? I have thought about taking my original and cutting it to put the order of the new shift pattern, but was curious if there was already a better solution.

Thanks

Mark

Mark:

Here is what I have seen done: Get a small piece of clear plastic and cut and file until it fits into the shift indicator "bracket." Get some little decals, likely of the stick on type, designated P N R D 3 2 1 and install them in the appropriate places on your newly fashioned piece of clear plastic. Remove the old indicator and install the new, it being held into place with a press fit or a little of an appropriate adhesive here and there.

Larry

Comment

What SuperHawk said...only remember, you've got a very small space to have to add digits to..so get small letter/number stickers. Or make your own.

Will the stock shifter even have the full swing required by the new trans. Modification may be required there too.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
        I want to install a GM transmission in my 64 Cruiser. I have read the posts over time on this, but there is one thing that I have not seen. What do people do for the indicator on the steering column? I have thought about taking my original and cutting it to put the order of the new shift pattern, but was curious if there was already a better solution.

Thanks

Mark

Check with IDIDIT. They make several different ones.

Ted

Comment

On my Daughter's Avanti powered '57 pickup, I located the plexiglas insert from a Jeep.. with the help of Forum member Jeff Hopman. There is a two year span (I think) that Jeep used them. I searched salvage yards with no luck, but Jeff found one somewhere for me. It will snap right in the housing.

Comment

What'd be cool is to do a drawing of the part with the correct gear location markings and then have someone with an Epilog laser cutter fab it out of plexi.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

What are you going to do about the quadrant in the Cruiser column to make it work with the TH350 Tranny?
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                  What does the GM dial read?

1967/72 F100/350 shift indicator dial (C7TZ-7B033-E) attaches to the bottom of the upper flange, reads P R N D 2 1. Reproduced, available from all the Ford repro parts sellers.

Comment

I was going to talk to John Meyer about all that, as he has done several and lists all the parts needed except this part. Thanks bezhawk for the older link, I had forgotten about that one. Not much luck finding what Jeff suggested a 72 or older AT Jeep Wagoneere.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark. Next time I'm at Pick Your Part (2-14-14) I'll look for that early 70's Jeep indicator piece. I remember you talking about it, but when I saw the later models I knew it wasn't right. The older stuff is rather hard to find..., but you never know.

I should be able to cut you a piece of plexiglass if you choose to go the decal route. I need to make one myself. While I went with a Camaro floor shift, I used the column indicator light to confirm I had lock-up of the convertor. So, I'd like to have an "O" where the indicator light is positioned. If you get a decal set can I "buy a vowel?" LOL

Tom
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

You don't indicate WHICH GM trany you are installing.

If a Powerglide (probably not, but I like them) it would need to look like this...

If a TH350, like this...

If a TH700R4 or TH2004R, like this...

If you are doing a TH700 or 200, the middle one (which is the same as a Jeep) is not going to work. Not enough detents.

I think you are going to have hard time marking all the positions needed for a TH700 or 200 in the space provided on the stock quadrant, but it is worth a try.

You are also going to need something like this...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...e?autoview=SKU

...in order to attempt to line up the detents on the trans with the positions on the quadrant.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I am going to go with the TH2004R. I think maybe the best bet initially would be to go with a plain plexiglass after the tranny is installed and then add the letters/numbers. Once placed, then I could take out and make a real one.

Tom keep your eyes open for a Wagoneer version. Then we can test it or at least have a try at it.

Thanks for all the thoughts and help.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X