Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker ever paint the frames yellow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker ever paint the frames yellow?

I was viewing the burned out 1957 Silver Hawk that was on ebay a while back and noticed that it has a yellow frame. He claims that (before the fire) it was completely restored.

I find the color contrast striking, but I don't think it was original - or was it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16dHJGgFFm3KV48eBSZFjpm3FQ~~60_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1742216Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16VHJHIFFhi0pvg,BSZFjnmJLQ~~60_3.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1742218Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16JHJIkFHSIcffLwBSZFjoLgtw~~60_14.jpg
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	1742217

I doubt it. People over-use the word 'restored' often! There's an ad in TW for a "restored to original condition" '57 Golden Hawk. Ad says "non-supercharged" So how is that "restored"??
    Same goes for hundreds of ads claiming "restored" has 350 chevy engine,etc etc...
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by pbrown View Post
      I was viewing the burned out 1957 Silver Hawk that was on ebay a while back and noticed that it has a yellow frame. He claims that (before the fire) it was completely restored.

I find the color contrast striking, but I don't think it was original - or was it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31327[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31328[/ATTACH]
      If you go back to the original thread/topic on this Hawk, I said that I knew and judged this Hawk many years ago. A lot of work (money) was done to the Hawk, but it was not a restoration. It got the yellow frame at that time.
      Many people now use the term restored to mean completely rebuilt, not brought back to as built (truly restored).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No they didn't.....but I read somewhere that they plated one with gold once!

Comment

In the Classic Era Studebaker, at least in 1931 and 1932 President frames or at, or least part of the frames, rear end and suspension were painted lower body color. Since these cars were semi-custom any color could be ordered yellow might have been used and was used in combination with brown as a standard combination. More often then not if two toned the lower body color tended to be the darker color, which I doubt that yellow would have been.-Bill

Comment

If any frame was painted yellow, it would most likely have been a truck frame in Chrome Yellow. The other frame closest to 'yellow' would be the gold plated frame from 1916. And then there was the red frames as seen on 1931 President All-Season Roadsters with the 'Speedway' package.

Craig
            Last edited by 8E45E; 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X