My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
      Stunning car. I love the spoke hubcaps and spinners. Blue Moves
      Thanks!.....Hey,....That would be a good nickname for this car......'BLUE MOVES'

Comment

What specific model master cylinder did you put on your car???

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
          What specific model master cylinder did you put on your car???
          I 'split' the brake system years ago...That master cylinder is the mid-seventies Dodge Coronet type, with a "Direct Connection" chrome lid...At least twenty years old now, it works perfectly. (The pushrod on the brake booster had to be adjusted out a bit from stock I believe) I've bled the brake system completely out every two years on My cars for longevity.

Comment

The reason I ask is because I have recently taken the same route, but the master lines come off toward the engine. I assume the front of the master (small well) is plumbed to the rear brakes, and the rear of the master (large well) is plumbed to the front brakes. What would have happened if they were reversed? I ask because I have not actually crawled under the car after getting it back from the shop. Additionally, I may have to change it out because I can not seem to stop the fluid from leaking out over the sides and front and rear. I have a new cover gasket and bail wire ready to change out when it gets warmer. If the thing still leaks, I will be forced to change the master itself. The horror is the dam fluid did a number on the inner fender panels, I have to find out the price to re-spray the area.....if too much money will just leave as it is for the next owner. Than ks
            Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            I 'split' the brake system years ago...That master cylinder is the mid-seventies Dodge Coronet type, with a "Direct Connection" chrome lid...At least twenty years old now, it works perfectly. (The pushrod on the brake booster had to be adjusted out a bit from stock I believe) I've bled the brake system completely out every two years on My cars for longevity.

Comment

The reason I ask is because I have recently taken the same route, but the master lines come off toward the engine. I assume the front of the master (small well) is plumbed to the rear brakes, and the rear of the master (large well) is plumbed to the front brakes. What would have happened if they were reversed? I ask because I have not actually crawled under the car after getting it back from the shop. Additionally, I may have to change it out because I can not seem to stop the fluid from leaking out over the sides and front and rear. I have a new cover gasket and bail wire ready to change out when it gets warmer. If the thing still leaks, I will be forced to change the master itself. The horror is the dam fluid did a number on the inner fender panels, I have to find out the price to re-spray the area.....if too much money will just leave as it is for the next owner. Than ks
              Yes, You have Your brake system plumbed correctly as you describe....The rear portion of the dual master cylinder indeed does feed the front disc brakes....It needs to have a larger capacity reservoir, as the disc brake pistons move out further in their cylinders as the pads wear down, and a greater volume of brake fluid is required to activate them...hence, an increased brake fluid reserve is necessary than needed for the rear drum brake wheel cylinders. ALSO... the side of the dual master cylinder that services the front disc brakes (the REAR side) has no residual check valve, as would be a necessary part of a drum brake system. Brake master cylinders, especially DUAL cylinders, should probably be bled out on the work bench before installing...And YES Dot 3 brake fluid is an excellent paint remover!!

Comment

What would happen if the shop reversed the lines?
                Yes, You have Your brake system plumbed correctly as you describe....The rear portion of the dual master cylinder indeed does feed the front disc brakes....It needs to have a larger capacity reservoir, as the disc brake pistons move out further in their cylinders as the pads wear down, and a greater volume of brake fluid is required to activate them...hence, an increased brake fluid reserve is necessary than needed for the rear drum brake wheel cylinders. ALSO... the side of the dual master cylinder that services the front disc brakes (the REAR side) has no residual check valve, as would be a necessary part of a drum brake system. Brake master cylinders, especially DUAL cylinders, should probably be bled out on the work bench before installing...And YES Dot 3 brake fluid is an excellent paint remover!!

Comment

What would happen if the shop reversed the lines?
                  Two things.....You'd have to check on the brake fluid reserve in the smaller reservoir (now feeding the front disc brakes) more often. And, much more importantly, the front disc brakes would probably be 'dragging' all the time, as the brake fluid residual pressure check valve would not allow the brake fluid to exhaust from behind the disc brake caliper pistons....Not good!

Comment

There is no residual pressure valve in this master cylinder.
                    Two things.....You'd have to check on the brake fluid reserve in the smaller reservoir (now feeding the front disc brakes) more often. And, much more importantly, the front disc brakes would probably be 'dragging' all the time, as the brake fluid residual pressure check valve would not allow the brake fluid to exhaust from behind the disc brake caliper pistons....Not good!

Comment

There is no residual pressure valve in this master cylinder.
                      Not all dual master cylinders have residual check valves...but in a front disc/rear drum system the rear drums normally require it. Perhaps the dual master cylinder You purchased was designed for a front disc/rear disc application?

Comment

In a Studebaker Avanti they are not needed as the rear cylinders are 3/4" and the fronts 2&1/8 The dual master bore is 1and 1/8th just like the single master cylinder. Did you drill a hole in the front of yours for the brake light switch?
                        Not all dual master cylinders have residual check valves...but in a front disc/rear drum system the rear drums normally require it. Perhaps the dual master cylinder You purchased was designed for a front disc/rear disc application?

Comment

SN-60
                          Real nice car! If you are in the Lehigh Valley, PA. area stop by as well. Thanks for the underhood pic. I was curious about the underhood light. I had one in my parts but didn't know what it fit. Now I do! Hopefully we'll be able to exercise our Studes soon as the salt is gone.
                          Rob in PA.

Comment

In a Studebaker Avanti they are not needed as the rear cylinders are 3/4" and the fronts 2&1/8 The dual master bore is 1and 1/8th just like the single master cylinder. Did you drill a hole in the front of yours for the brake light switch?
                            I left the hydraulic stoplight switch on the main brass union that now only supplies the front brakes.....the hole in that union that fed the rear brakes is now plugged....and the line from the front (small) chamber of the dual master cylinder goes directly to the union bolted to the rear axle housing that feeds both rear brakes.

Comment

Here's another 'fun' Avanti!....my friend Chet's 'Avanti Gold' '63 R2. Chet's father bought this Avanti brand new. Chet completely restored the car about twelve years ago. This is a REALLY NICE car
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by SN-60; 08-14-2016, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Why do you call it a "fun" Avanti?................................I notice this "fun" Avanti does not have any rear view mirrors............................who drives a car with no rear view mirrors?? I guess the "fun" part kicks in when attempting to cross lanes on the interstate and some A-H wipes out the side of your "fun" Avanti:-(

Comment

Working...
                                X