Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A 'fun' Avanti!

Champion Member
    SN-60 e-mailed that he entered his turquoise '63 Avanti into a 'Wheels Of Time' auto show last weekend. There were about sixty cars on display, and six trophies were awarded in three classes. SN-60's Avanti took home TWO of them! SN-60 writes: "There were definitely nicer cars than mine at this show, but the '63 never fails to to go over well with the crowd." "What's really important though, is keeping our Studebakers in the public eye and well remembered." I see what he means by 'FUN' Avanti!

Golden Hawk Member
    Here's a recent photo of my 'fun' Avanti with two of its newer stablemates....All three cars get along quite well!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice car Ed, but what's it doing leading a procession of Mopars!
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    Nice car Ed, but what's it doing leading a procession of Mopars!
    Sometimes Mopar lovers need to be 'guided' Brian, and what better way to guide them than with a Studebaker Avanti!!

"LEADER OF THE PACK" Lucky you. Not one, not two, but THREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golden Hawk Member
    I've told my grand daughter that in a few years she can have the car....."As long as she keeps the paint job WELL WAXED"!....She said, "Well waxed?....I thought you said it was a FUN Avanti"?

Golden Hawk Member
    Been thinking about registering my '85 in the spring and making IT the "fun" (frequently driven summer car) Avanti.....The '63 was restored over twenty years ago now, and it's probably due for a mechanical "re-visit"!

Golden Hawk Member
    Went to a nice car show at 'Oak Point' in Middleboro, Massachusetts today!....The '63 Avanti took second in its class....I told them I'd wouldn't come back if they ever pulled that again!

President Member
    What constitutes your term "restored" ?.......that could mean anything........curious minds want to know:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Been thinking about registering my '85 in the spring and making IT the "fun" (frequently driven summer car) Avanti.....The '63 was restored over twenty years ago now, and it's probably due for a mechanical "re-visit"!

President Member
    Great SN-60. I just completed a 1776 mile trip to the Kelso Meet, then visiting friends throughout Oregon, then back home to British Columbia. Our '83 Avanti never quit delivering smiles, thumbs up and conversations when we stopped. Pics to follow if I can get my computer to cooperate. (It doesn't seem to want to connect to pics).
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    What would happen if the shop reversed the lines?
    I think Ed may have missed the MOST important thing that would happen in this case, the REAR Piston using the Rear Reservoir in the Dual Master Cylinder gives the Front Brakes their "push" FIRST, slightly before the Rears so you would not want to reverse this process.

The two issues mentioned of course, would happen also.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    I think Ed may have missed the MOST important thing that would happen in this case, the REAR Piston using the Rear Reservoir in the Dual Master Cylinder gives the Front Brakes their "push" FIRST, slightly before the Rears so you would not want to reverse this process.

The two issues mentioned of course, would happen also.
    Hmmmm!...In a split brake system, I thought the front and rears activated at the same time. Anyway, here's another shot of the good old '63!

Golden Hawk Member
    After not waxing this car for about four years, I finally took the time last week to apply a nice even coat of Meguiar's 'Ultimate' paste wax onto the old girl's finish!

I was amazed at the shine...I painted this Avanti around 1990, using Dupont 'Lucite' lacquer paint, which has held up really well for over 26 years!

Golden Hawk Member
    Saw my friend Chet last weekend, he mentioned that he's reluctantly placing his '63 Avanti (see post # 29) up for sale. This is a VERY NICE Studebaker Avanti, which has been in his family since purchased new.

PM me if seriously interested, I'll put you in touch with him....and I'm really not sure of the asking price.

Here's a couple shots of old SN-60's '63 R2. Haven't got the dual quads on yet....hope they don't ruin how really nice this car runs!
    If the linkage is 'progressive', the front carb will only be at idle till you get your foot into it. They run on the back carb 'primaries' then as you get into it the front car 'primaries begin to open, followed by the back carb 'secondaries' and last and finally the front carb 'secondaries'. If you are trying to set up the carbs by yourself, selection of jets and metering rods is critical and you should look for all the input from 'knowledgeable guys' that you can get. When you get them right, its phenomenal~!

Golden Hawk Member
    Another view of the 26+ year old lacquer paint on my 'fun' Avanti!

Golden Hawk Member
    A more recent engine shot............

A more recent engine shot............
    Wowzers

Golden Hawk Member
    Boo-hoo!...tonight was the last 'Saturday night cruise-in' for this season.....but on the bright side, my good friend Wayne showed up with his 1980 Avanti ll which he purchased from a gent from Wisconsin last year.

It's a REALLY nice Avanti with 46K (original), red leather interior & red carpet, real wire wheels & factory exterior luggage rack....The only thing Wayne's done to it is remove that ugly front 'cow catcher' bumper assy!

Here's my good old '63 & Wayne's '80...........

Golden Hawk Member
    My friend Wayne (owner of the '80 Avanti ll above) did something quite unusual yesterday, (9/24/16),....He RE-PURCHASED a Studebaker which he owned and sold THIRTY YEARS AGO!!!!!!

This week Wayne is bringing home a rare 1963 Lark Daytona 'SKYTOP' model...289, p/s automatic....The Lark is still in great shape, needing only a bit of interior work....WAY TO GO WAYNE!!!

Wayne purchased the Skytop from Legendary motors of Beverly, Massachusetts.

President Member
    Boo-hoo!...tonight was the last 'Saturday night cruise-in' for this season.....but on the bright side, my good friend Wayne showed up with his 1980 Avanti ll which he purchased from a gent from Wisconsin last year.

It's a REALLY nice Avanti with 46K (original), red leather interior & red carpet, real wire wheels & factory exterior luggage rack....The only thing Wayne's done to it is remove that ugly front 'cow catcher' bumper assy!

Here's my good old '63 & Wayne's '80...........
    I like your 63 better. Is it an R2?

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    I like your 63 better. Is it an R2?
    Thank you!...It is an R2 with automatic trans & power steering...It drives well, but I've always wished it was a four speed. Twelve or so years ago I passed on a COMPLETE four speed setup for a Stude Avanti which I could have purchased at that time for $600!!

Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!

President Member
    Thank you!...It is an R2 with automatic trans & power steering...It drives well, but I've always wished it was a four speed. Twelve or so years ago I passed on a COMPLETE four speed setup for a Stude Avanti which I could have purchased at that time for $600!!

Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!
    Ummmm. I have a four speed Sprite. I could trade you even. I might even give you a hundred bucks boot.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    Ummmm. I have a four speed Sprite. I could trade you even. I might even give you a hundred bucks boot.
    Thanks, but it would be like selling one of the kids!......................................On second thought!!!!!!

Golden Hawk Member
    (From '15, summer)......hey, second place is better than no place at all!!

Golden Hawk Member
    The R2 "dual quad' setup.......

Please don't go there, Paul. It's just plain old not worth it.
    Sort of like waiting for the latest Avanti in the snow pictures.
    (BTW... "The Black Car' is running now..)

Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Neat setup Ed! But I'm going to poke you a little bit -- you mentioned this dual carb setup in the very first post of this thread, slightly over three years ago, and they are not on yet?? I wouldn't have pointed this out, except I seem to remember you poking Jeff Rice for taking so long to get his '53 drag car done!
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Please don't go there, Paul. It's just plain old not worth it.
    Sort of like waiting for the latest Avanti in the snow pictures.
    (BTW... "The Black Car' is running now..)
    "But at least my Avanti occasionally leaves the garage"! ...........Seriously Paul, the problem I ran into installing the dual carbs concerns hood clearance.....Unless I 'shim' the body up off the frame some, (Nate Altman style), or install some sort of hideous hood scoop, the hood simply wont clear this setup!

Yes, the dual quads are still 'on the shelf', but I sure enjoy driving my 'fun' Avanti, even without them! .... NO GARAGE QUEEN HERE!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Seriously Paul, the problem I ran into installing the dual carbs concerns hood clearance.....Unless I 'shim' the body up off the frame some, (Nate Altman style), or install some sort of hideous hood scoop, the hood simply wont clear this setup!
    Is that a R4 intake? How much taller are the R2 bonnets versus the R4 air cleaners? Nice looking setup, plus I see another blower in the background. Were you planning a dual blower setup too?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Golden Hawk Member
    These cast iron manifolds are about 3/4" higher in overall heightcompared to the later aluminum Avanti R4 manifolds, which were designed to fit under an Avanti's hood.

If I decide to 'lift' the body, my intentions are to use the one blower, with a "Y" ahead of the carbs to split the boost.

Beautiful Avanti !, with all that Studebaker and the Granitelli Bros.had,giving had it "there all"! As an "Old Timer told me once, "Ain't nothin sounds better, than the sound a Studebaker V8 running thru a pair of Smittys".. I agree,and thanks for sharing!..

Champion Member
    Blog Entries
    VERY NICE COLOR I just purchased a 63 R2 WITH 4 speed trans. I LIKE THE LOOKS WITH ROUND HEADLIGHTS I'm not sure why my Avant runs at high rpm in fourth gear When at 60 mph the tach. reads over 3000 rpm

Blog Entries
    These cast iron manifolds are about 3/4" higher in overall heightcompared to the later aluminum Avanti R4 manifolds, which were designed to fit under an Avanti's hood.
    So Ed, I'm confused (which isn't uncommon ). Is your manifold a cast iron Studebaker dual 4-barrel?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    So Ed, I'm confused (which isn't uncommon ). Is your manifold a cast iron Studebaker dual 4-barrel?
    It is indeed a cast iron Stude manifold..... complete with exhaust crossover passage....An 'old timer' welder made up two of these several years ago for someone in the club....LOT's of brazing over a 'gutted' late Avanti type four barrel manifold.

One of them was tried out on a stock 259 with a single four barrel mounted at the rear, and the front four barrel mount blocked off by a flat steel plate......the engine reportedly idled and accelerated normally!

If nothing else, IT'S INTERESTING!!

I have SEEN FACTORY experimental CAST IRON R4 intakes. Ed, use the Offenhauser air horns available from Speedway. They are lower.
    2016-11-20-10.44.18.jpg
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    I have SEEN FACTORY experimental CAST IRON R4 intakes. Ed, use the Offenhauser air horns available from Speedway. They are lower.
    2016-11-20-10.44.18.jpg
    Not a bad thought!.........By the way, if the 'look' of the engine in my Avanti turns out half as nice as the engine in this photo ( the one that YOU built Brad) I'd be a VERY HAPPY CAMPER!!!...........WELL DONE!!

Golden Hawk Member
    I took the '63 Avanti for a ride this afternoon, first time in about three weeks. It's been quite cold around here (between 15-40' F.), however, there's very little snow on the ground!

Getting back to the cold,....before I left, the hood was open, and I felt the intake manifold crossover passage getting nice and warm. (the heat riser plate is installed and functions well)

I could see the choke plate slowly opening to its 'fully opened' position.....NICE!!

I can't imagine how anyone would get by around here with a blocked off intake crossover passage...I KNOW this Avanti would run lousy, and burn a lot of extra fuel...probably foul spark plugs too!

The electric choke kits work well and alleviate a 'choked up' engine condition, but without that factory heated crossover passage, I'm afraid Studebakers would be relegated to 'tropic climates ONLY'!

President Member
    orecrush, post# 72.
    I have 3:73 Twin Trac in my '63 GT Hawk R4 Clone and it runs about 3000 rpm in top gear (Powershift) at 60 mph, and 28.0 " tall tire (235/70R15). If it didn't, the execs at Exxon/Mobil wouldn't get bonuses.
    Bill

Golden Hawk Member
    Saw my friend Chet last weekend, he mentioned that he's reluctantly placing his '63 Avanti (see post # 29) up for sale. This is a VERY NICE Studebaker Avanti, which has been in his family since purchased new.

PM me if seriously interested, I'll put you in touch with him....and I'm really not sure of the asking price.
    UPDATE:...An add for this '63 Avanti is now in latest issue of the AOAI Magazine!

I took the '63 Avanti for a ride this afternoon, first time in about three weeks. It's been quite cold around here (between 15-40' F.), however, there's very little snow on the ground!

Getting back to the cold,....before I left, the hood was open, and I felt the intake manifold crossover passage getting nice and warm. (the heat riser plate is installed and functions well)

I could see the choke plate slowly opening to its 'fully opened' position.....NICE!!

I can't imagine how anyone would get by around here with a blocked off intake crossover passage...I KNOW this Avanti would run lousy, and burn a lot of extra fuel...probably foul spark plugs too!

The electric choke kits work well and alleviate a 'choked up' engine condition, but without that factory heated crossover passage, I'm afraid Studebakers would be relegated to 'tropic climates ONLY'!
    Ed,
    I agree on problems with blocking off the intake crossover. A few years ago, I tried it on a 56J. It was easy enough tap a 1.5" freeze plug into the round (versus rectangular on 259/289) crossover entrance/exit on each side of the intake. Even in warm weather, and max rich setting on the choke, the choke butterfly would open while the manifold was still cold, so the car would take a long time to warm up enough to stop coughing & spitting. Even so, about 20 miles up the road and the manifold would eventually warm up as hot as ever, and problems such as hot restart would still occur. A total waste of time, so I took the 1.5" plugs back out in short order.