Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A 'fun' Avanti!

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    Ed,
    I agree on problems with blocking off the intake crossover. A few years ago, I tried it on a 56J. It was easy enough tap a 1.5" freeze plug into the round (versus rectangular on 259/289) crossover entrance/exit on each side of the intake. Even in warm weather, and max rich setting on the choke, the choke butterfly would open while the manifold was still cold, so the car would take a long time to warm up enough to stop coughing & spitting. Even so, about 20 miles up the road and the manifold would eventually warm up as hot as ever, and problems such as hot restart would still occur. A total waste of time, so I took the 1.5" plugs back out in short order.
    Yes Joe, that's exactly why I was trying to forewarn folks living in 'cooler' parts of the country that the custom Studebaker V8 performance intake manifolds we see advertised, although probably quite good on the drag strip, might be a big disappointment & real waste of money for their street driven Studes!

They LOOK kind of pretty though!
    Last edited by SN-60; 03-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Ed,
    Your ability to 'forwarn' other people is not warranted, wanted, or appreciated.
    Until you have personally installed, run, and have had a bad experience, your snyde little comments are just one old man's opinion.
    I will personally stand behind my products anywhere they are installed.
    I have more experienced customers than you have, or have ever had. So your warnings are feckless.
    Put your purchased dual quad manifold on, run it, and then give the forum some quality feedback.
    Until then, I would suggest you stick to what you know... Trivia, and leave your nescient forum oratory on the shelf.
    Trivia is your specialty. Stick with your strengths.

(copy)
    Originally Posted by JoeHall
    Ed,
    I agree on problems with blocking off the intake crossover. A few years ago, I tried it on a 56J. It was easy enough tap a 1.5" freeze plug into the round (versus rectangular on 259/289) crossover entrance/exit on each side of the intake. Even in warm weather, and max rich setting on the choke, the choke butterfly would open while the manifold was still cold, so the car would take a long time to warm up enough to stop coughing & spitting. Even so, about 20 miles up the road and the manifold would eventually warm up as hot as ever, and problems such as hot restart would still occur. A total waste of time, so I took the 1.5" plugs back out in short order.

Yes Joe, that's exactly why I was trying to forewarn folks living in 'cooler' parts of the country that the custom Studebaker V8 performance intake manifolds we see advertised, although probably quite good on the drag strip, might be a big disappointment & real waste of money for their street driven Studes!

They LOOK kind of pretty though!

Golden Hawk Member
    Jeff, Intake manifolds without heated crossover passages are of no use in the colder areas of this country. The automotive engineers who designed the original intake manifolds used on Studebaker engines knew that...and NOTHING has changed since then.

I have no agenda against the manifolds which you, or anyone else, make at home! On the drag strip these manifolds MAY perform well, however, please do not tell folks who intend to actually DRIVE their Studebakers to work, school, etc. that these manifolds will work satisfactorily here in the cold northeast, (it's 10' outside tonight!), because they simply wont.

And one more thing Jeff, I feel that calling fellow Stude Forum members 'OLD' is a REAL CHEAP SHOT!!!...You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

Golden Hawk Member
    Boy, I CAN'T WAIT for spring!! .................................
    Attached Images Attached Images

My apologies to you about your age.
    It is wrong to say that.
    It is your posting style that is old.

Your comments are just your opinion.
    Keep your opinions to yourself and don't tell other people what their experience might be with products you have never used, or have any experience with.
    To say you have no agenda, and then post with trite comments is hypocritical, and unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Jeff, Intake manifolds without heated crossover passages are of no use in the colder areas of this country. The automotive engineers who designed the original intake manifolds used on Studebaker engines knew that...and NOTHING has changed since then.

I have no agenda against the manifolds which you, or anyone else, make at home! On the drag strip these manifolds MAY perform well, however, please do not tell folks who intend to actually DRIVE their Studebakers to work, school, etc. that these manifolds will work satisfactorily here in the cold northeast, (it's 10' outside tonight!), because they simply wont.

And one more thing Jeff, I feel that calling fellow Stude Forum members 'OLD' is a REAL CHEAP SHOT!!!...You ought to be ashamed of yourself!
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Ed If your Avanti had a nice 6 volt system and a Packard V8 hooked to a ultramatic , it would be perfect. Better yet would be a DG 150!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    Ed If your Avanti had a nice 6 volt system and a Packard V8 hooked to a ultramatic , it would be perfect. Better yet would be a DG 150!
    That's FUNNY Brad!...And in your rather humorous way you've managed to point out a series of mechanical weaknesses that Studebaker owners must deal with!

You need to remember though Brad, there are 'MANY MORE POSITIVES THAN NEGATIVES' to owning and driving a Studebaker!!

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    My apologies to you about your age.
    It is wrong to say that.
    It is your posting style that is old.

Your comments are just your opinion.
    Keep your opinions to yourself and don't tell other people what their experience might be with products you have never used, or have any experience with.
    To say you have no agenda, and then post with trite comments is hypocritical, and unprofessional.

I accept your apology Jeff........I realize that we can all get 'wound up' sometimes, and post something out of anger.

However, I also hope you don't mean it when you say "keep your opinions to yourself"....This is America Jeff, in this country I truly hope we can still express our opinions without ridicule!

That's FUNNY Brad!...And in your rather humorous way you've managed to point out a series of mechanical weaknesses that Studebaker owners must deal with!

You need to remember though Brad, there are 'MANY MORE POSITIVES THAN NEGATIVES' to owning and driving a Studebaker!!
    Sometimes positives derive from negatives. A good example may be the DG and Ultra transmissions; thanks to them we now, over 60 years later, have lots of low mileage Speedsters and 56Js to play with

President Member
    I accept your apology Jeff........I realize that we can all get 'wound up' sometimes, and post something out of anger.

However, I also hope you don't mean it when you say "keep your opinions to yourself"....This is America Jeff, in this country I truly hope we can still express our opinions without ridicule!
    For someone who will assert their position beyond a point where anyone else would have reasonably stopped, I find it amusing that you would use the word ridicule- I have seen you do it to other members of this forum on many occasions. We are all aware of how strongly you hold your opinions, your strong assertions of them is, in fact, what causes such strong reaction to your comments. You are right, this is America, so how about we treat each other with respect and decency, and learn moderation in our dealings with others on this forum, instead of the manner in which you choose to address others. Whether it be aftermarket manifolds or DG transmissions, why not let it go?
    Evan Davis
    Prairie Bulletin
    Saskatchewan Chapter
    Prince Albert, Sk
    http://www.saskstudebaker.ca/Studebaker.html

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fargoguy View Post
    For someone who will assert their position beyond a point where anyone else would have reasonably stopped, I find it amusing that you would use the word ridicule- I have seen you do it to other members of this forum on many occasions. We are all aware of how strongly you hold your opinions, your strong assertions of them is, in fact, what causes such strong reaction to your comments. You are right, this is America, so how about we treat each other with respect and decency, and learn moderation in our dealings with others on this forum, instead of the manner in which you choose to address others. Whether it be aftermarket manifolds or DG transmissions, why not let it go?
    Very well written Evan, I'd say that you put some thought into this post.

Now, I'm going to ask you to do me a favor....Please point out EVEN ONE of my posts on this entire thread where I treated someone with disrespect....If you're determined to criticize me, how about showing me an example of what upsets you.

President Member
    Very well written Evan, I'd say that you put some thought into this post.

Now, I'm going to ask you to do me a favor....Please point out EVEN ONE of my posts on this entire thread where I treated someone with disrespect....If you're determined to criticize me, how about showing me an example of what upsets you.
    Well, after the normal PM from you I receive after posting on one of your threads:
    Evan,...Please respond to my last post (#91) on the "Fun Avanti" thread.....NOT by sending me back a PM, but on the public forum.....OK?

Here is my response:

You are always one who picks his words carefully- you are very good at Baiting others to anger in the threads you inflame. In post 88 of this thread, your final statement to Jeff Rice is definitely condescending- talking down your nose and "chiding him". This is an example of inflammatory behavior. There has been more of this in the history of the forum, but thankfully our moderators have done an excellent job of deleting these posts ( often much to your chagrin). Your participation in this forum provides lots of excellent data, as you are a knowledgeable poster, but the manner in which you assert your position ( and often insist on its acceptance) frustrates many of us. I believe that's why the moderators have taken disciplinary action in the past, I just wish they didn't have to and you could moderate your behavior on your own. I hope that satisfies your request. I look forward to the PM I'm sure you will respond with.
    Evan Davis
    Prairie Bulletin
    Saskatchewan Chapter
    Prince Albert, Sk
    http://www.saskstudebaker.ca/Studebaker.html

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fargoguy View Post
    Well, after the normal PM from you I receive after posting on one of your threads:
    Evan,...Please respond to my last post (#91) on the "Fun Avanti" thread.....NOT by sending me back a PM, but on the public forum.....OK?

Here is my response:

You are always one who picks his words carefully- you are very good at Baiting others to anger in the threads you inflame. In post 88 of this thread, your final statement to Jeff Rice is definitely condescending- talking down your nose and "chiding him". This is an example of inflammatory behavior. There has been more of this in the history of the forum, but thankfully our moderators have done an excellent job of deleting these posts ( often much to your chagrin). Your participation in this forum provides lots of excellent data, as you are a knowledgeable poster, but the manner in which you assert your position ( and often insist on its acceptance) frustrates many of us. I believe that's why the moderators have taken disciplinary action in the past, I just wish they didn't have to and you could moderate your behavior on your own. I hope that satisfies your request. I look forward to the PM I'm sure you will respond with.
    So folks, there you have it ...Evan feels My post (#88) sent to Jeff Rice was condescending and inflammatory behavior. I don't see that, however, I could be wrong....I'd like to hear other comments/opinions about my post #88 which upset Evan............. And thanks for stating your opinion Evan!

Golden Hawk Member
    The 'Doctor's car' is very special to me.....but this '63 'fun' Avanti is really my favorite Stude!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

President Member
    So folks, there you have it ...Evan feels My post (#88) sent to Jeff Rice was condescending and inflammatory behavior. I don't see that, however, I could be wrong....I'd like to hear other comments/opinions about my post #88 which upset Evan............. And thanks for stating your opinion Evan!

Looks to me like an even-up pissing contest between you two.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    Looks to me like an even-up pissing contest between you two.
    Even-up?....well maybe!...... However, at this point I feel that if somebody has an ax to grind over what someone else posted, the least they could do is 'nail down' the specific statement that's bothering them.

Evan did that, calling my post #88 on this thread inflammatory and condescending....Frankly, I think Evan is wrong.

This thread is no longer of any value.

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com