Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 97

Thread: A 'fun' Avanti!

  1. #1
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267

    A 'fun' Avanti!

    Here's a couple shots of old SN-60's '63 R2. Haven't got the dual quads on yet....hope they don't ruin how really nice this car runs!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Commander Member old digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramsey, Minnesota
    Posts
    62
    Sweet ride Ed, love the color.

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,395
    Looks like 64 fender emblems with round headlights. Is this a "transition" model?

  4. #4
    President Member Flashback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wetumpka, Alabama, USA.
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Here's a couple shots of old SN-60's '63 R2. Haven't got the dual quads on yet....hope they don't ruin how really nice this car runs!
    One thing for sure the 2X4's won't hurt the looks,,,,NICE

  5. #5
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Thanks guys. Those are just stainless steel wheelcovers..I added the spinners with the 'Avanti' logo (from SI). This car is a fairly early '63...I liked the look of the '64 style 'Supercharged' emblems over the '63 versions....so I went with them. It's really just one of those Studes where I can connect up the battery, (In trunk), and go....No worries!

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Here's a shot of My 'Avanti Turquoise' R2 paired up with a really much nicer 'Avanti Gold' R2 owned by My friend Chet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    President Member EssexExport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lakewood, NJ
    Posts
    1,642
    Looking good. Has a rather regal stance.

  8. #8
    Silver Hawk Member JBOYLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Eastern Washington State, USA.
    Posts
    6,913
    Neat car. I wish I could add the supercharger emblem to my car...I think it looks a bit naked without some sort of emblem there.
    And, no I don't want to add a supercharger or just put an emblem on.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

    Washington State

  9. #9
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by JBOYLE View Post
    Neat car. I wish I could add the supercharger emblem to my car...I think it looks a bit naked without some sort of emblem there.
    And, no I don't want to add a supercharger or just put an emblem on.
    I once installed the oval 1964 Hawk-Lark style 'Avanti R2 Supercharged' emblems on a red '64 'square light' Avanti R2 I used to own. I think that those colorful oval emblems look great on a Studebaker Avanti!

  10. #10
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    My '63 was parked next to this '63 R1 at another show...a really nice studebaker Avanti painted a 'beige' color that everyone really digs! It belongs to My friend Joe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    President Member bezhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    here, sometimes somewhere else
    Posts
    4,944
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    I once installed the oval 1964 Hawk-Lark style 'Avanti R2 Supercharged' emblems on a red '64 'square light' Avanti R2 I used to own. I think that those colorful oval emblems look great on a Studebaker Avanti!
    I agree, the oval emblem looks great on an Avanti. They should have used them as an oval is more in keeping with the non straight lines of the car.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com


    "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

  12. #12
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Just came back in from taking the '63 for a 'dust off' ride. (Roads around here are dry...at least for today!) Put a couple gallons of 'High-Test' in her, and headed out to Rt 495. WHAT A BLAST! That R2 engine......The ROAR of those glasspacks......The SCREAM emanating from the unsilenced air filter leading to the Paxton Supercharger! Her 'sweet spot' comes in at around eighty mph! Hated to put her away...but spring IS getting closer by the day!

  13. #13
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Just came back in from taking the '63 for a 'dust off' ride. (Roads around here are dry...at least for today!) Put a couple gallons of 'High-Test' in her, and headed out to Rt 495. WHAT A BLAST! That R2 engine......The ROAR of those glasspacks......The SCREAM emanating from the unsilenced air filter leading to the Paxton Supercharger! Her 'sweet spot' comes in at around eighty mph! Hated to put her away...but spring IS getting closer by the day!
    Jeepers, SN-60. That is an absolutely Gorgeous car! The round headlights are sooo much nicer than the square ones. And I love the color too. Thumbs up!!! Drive it like you stole it.

  14. #14
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    Jeepers, SN-60. That is an absolutely Gorgeous car! The round headlights are sooo much nicer than the square ones. And I love the color too. Thumbs up!!! Drive it like you stole it.
    Thanks! I do get a bit worked up about that car. PS... If You're ever passing through the Boston area in good weather....stop by and take her for a spin....let Me know what You think

  15. #15
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Here's an engine shot of My '63 R2. Definitely a few incorrect items here, but notice the 'rarely seen on Stude Avanti's' factory underhood light!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    President Member Studeous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Middle, TN USA.
    Posts
    541
    Stunning car. I love the spoke hubcaps and spinners. Blue Moves
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"
    53 Champion Starlight
    53-55 Starliner For Sale or Trade

    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

  17. #17
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Studeous View Post
    Stunning car. I love the spoke hubcaps and spinners. Blue Moves
    Thanks!.....Hey,....That would be a good nickname for this car......'BLUE MOVES'

  18. #18
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,219
    What specific model master cylinder did you put on your car???

  19. #19
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    What specific model master cylinder did you put on your car???
    I 'split' the brake system years ago...That master cylinder is the mid-seventies Dodge Coronet type, with a "Direct Connection" chrome lid...At least twenty years old now, it works perfectly. (The pushrod on the brake booster had to be adjusted out a bit from stock I believe) I've bled the brake system completely out every two years on My cars for longevity.

  20. #20
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,219
    The reason I ask is because I have recently taken the same route, but the master lines come off toward the engine. I assume the front of the master (small well) is plumbed to the rear brakes, and the rear of the master (large well) is plumbed to the front brakes. What would have happened if they were reversed? I ask because I have not actually crawled under the car after getting it back from the shop. Additionally, I may have to change it out because I can not seem to stop the fluid from leaking out over the sides and front and rear. I have a new cover gasket and bail wire ready to change out when it gets warmer. If the thing still leaks, I will be forced to change the master itself. The horror is the dam fluid did a number on the inner fender panels, I have to find out the price to re-spray the area.....if too much money will just leave as it is for the next owner. Than ks
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    I 'split' the brake system years ago...That master cylinder is the mid-seventies Dodge Coronet type, with a "Direct Connection" chrome lid...At least twenty years old now, it works perfectly. (The pushrod on the brake booster had to be adjusted out a bit from stock I believe) I've bled the brake system completely out every two years on My cars for longevity.

  21. #21
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    The reason I ask is because I have recently taken the same route, but the master lines come off toward the engine. I assume the front of the master (small well) is plumbed to the rear brakes, and the rear of the master (large well) is plumbed to the front brakes. What would have happened if they were reversed? I ask because I have not actually crawled under the car after getting it back from the shop. Additionally, I may have to change it out because I can not seem to stop the fluid from leaking out over the sides and front and rear. I have a new cover gasket and bail wire ready to change out when it gets warmer. If the thing still leaks, I will be forced to change the master itself. The horror is the dam fluid did a number on the inner fender panels, I have to find out the price to re-spray the area.....if too much money will just leave as it is for the next owner. Than ks
    Yes, You have Your brake system plumbed correctly as you describe....The rear portion of the dual master cylinder indeed does feed the front disc brakes....It needs to have a larger capacity reservoir, as the disc brake pistons move out further in their cylinders as the pads wear down, and a greater volume of brake fluid is required to activate them...hence, an increased brake fluid reserve is necessary than needed for the rear drum brake wheel cylinders. ALSO... the side of the dual master cylinder that services the front disc brakes (the REAR side) has no residual check valve, as would be a necessary part of a drum brake system. Brake master cylinders, especially DUAL cylinders, should probably be bled out on the work bench before installing...And YES Dot 3 brake fluid is an excellent paint remover!!

  22. #22
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,219
    What would happen if the shop reversed the lines?
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Yes, You have Your brake system plumbed correctly as you describe....The rear portion of the dual master cylinder indeed does feed the front disc brakes....It needs to have a larger capacity reservoir, as the disc brake pistons move out further in their cylinders as the pads wear down, and a greater volume of brake fluid is required to activate them...hence, an increased brake fluid reserve is necessary than needed for the rear drum brake wheel cylinders. ALSO... the side of the dual master cylinder that services the front disc brakes (the REAR side) has no residual check valve, as would be a necessary part of a drum brake system. Brake master cylinders, especially DUAL cylinders, should probably be bled out on the work bench before installing...And YES Dot 3 brake fluid is an excellent paint remover!!

  23. #23
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    What would happen if the shop reversed the lines?
    Two things.....You'd have to check on the brake fluid reserve in the smaller reservoir (now feeding the front disc brakes) more often. And, much more importantly, the front disc brakes would probably be 'dragging' all the time, as the brake fluid residual pressure check valve would not allow the brake fluid to exhaust from behind the disc brake caliper pistons....Not good!

  24. #24
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,219
    There is no residual pressure valve in this master cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Two things.....You'd have to check on the brake fluid reserve in the smaller reservoir (now feeding the front disc brakes) more often. And, much more importantly, the front disc brakes would probably be 'dragging' all the time, as the brake fluid residual pressure check valve would not allow the brake fluid to exhaust from behind the disc brake caliper pistons....Not good!

  25. #25
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    There is no residual pressure valve in this master cylinder.
    Not all dual master cylinders have residual check valves...but in a front disc/rear drum system the rear drums normally require it. Perhaps the dual master cylinder You purchased was designed for a front disc/rear disc application?

  26. #26
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,219
    In a Studebaker Avanti they are not needed as the rear cylinders are 3/4" and the fronts 2&1/8 The dual master bore is 1and 1/8th just like the single master cylinder. Did you drill a hole in the front of yours for the brake light switch?
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Not all dual master cylinders have residual check valves...but in a front disc/rear drum system the rear drums normally require it. Perhaps the dual master cylinder You purchased was designed for a front disc/rear disc application?

  27. #27
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    635
    SN-60
    Real nice car! If you are in the Lehigh Valley, PA. area stop by as well. Thanks for the underhood pic. I was curious about the underhood light. I had one in my parts but didn't know what it fit. Now I do! Hopefully we'll be able to exercise our Studes soon as the salt is gone.
    Rob in PA.

  28. #28
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    In a Studebaker Avanti they are not needed as the rear cylinders are 3/4" and the fronts 2&1/8 The dual master bore is 1and 1/8th just like the single master cylinder. Did you drill a hole in the front of yours for the brake light switch?
    I left the hydraulic stoplight switch on the main brass union that now only supplies the front brakes.....the hole in that union that fed the rear brakes is now plugged....and the line from the front (small) chamber of the dual master cylinder goes directly to the union bolted to the rear axle housing that feeds both rear brakes.

  29. #29
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Here's another 'fun' Avanti!....my friend Chet's 'Avanti Gold' '63 R2. Chet's father bought this Avanti brand new. Chet completely restored the car about twelve years ago. This is a REALLY NICE car
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SN-60; 08-14-2016 at 07:14 AM.

  30. #30
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,219
    Why do you call it a "fun" Avanti?................................I notice this "fun" Avanti does not have any rear view mirrors............................who drives a car with no rear view mirrors?? I guess the "fun" part kicks in when attempting to cross lanes on the interstate and some A-H wipes out the side of your "fun" Avanti:-(

  31. #31
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    Why do you call it a "fun" Avanti?................................I notice this "fun" Avanti does not have any rear view mirrors............................who drives a car with no rear view mirrors?? I guess the "fun" part kicks in when attempting to cross lanes on the interstate and some A-H wipes out the side of your "fun" Avanti:-(
    'Fun' simply means that we drive both of these Avantis a lot in good weather...Neither car is a 'trailer queen', believe Me. And I'm sorry if my descriptive adjective somehow bothers You. As to "No rearview mirrors on the gold Avanti"...if You look more carefully at the photos, You'll see that Chet raised the inside rearview mirror to the top of the windshield as opposed to the stock (and fairly useless) windshield bottom location....definite plus in terms of safety. And although it's not shown in the photos, I believe that there is an Avanti style drivers door exterior mirror on the gold car. Time to 'lighten up' Hawklover!

  32. #32
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,219
    Any person who drives a car with no left and right rear mirrors is, well I'll leave the descriptive prose to your imagination. Candidly I think cars should be driven, and I appreciate the fact your car is no TQ......but to fully restore a car to only push and pull it from a trailer is nuts...IMHO:-) I was not offended as you surmised, but needed to understand why you had to use the word fun, all cars are fun to drive, especially Studes:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    'Fun' simply means that we drive both of these Avantis a lot in good weather...Neither car is a 'trailer queen', believe Me. And I'm sorry if my descriptive adjective somehow bothers You. As to "No rearview mirrors on the gold Avanti"...if You look more carefully at the photos, You'll see that Chet raised the inside rearview mirror to the top of the windshield as opposed to the stock (and fairly useless) windshield bottom location....definite plus in terms of safety. And although it's not shown in the photos, I believe that there is an Avanti style drivers door exterior mirror on the gold car. Time to 'lighten up' Hawklover!

  33. #33
    President Member packardHawk58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    Posts
    797
    Nice car ED! Turquoise brings out the lines in that model. My favourite colour in an Avanti.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

  34. #34
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Thanks a lot Brian!...I've always liked 'Avanti Turquoise' Myself. This can be a confusing color to match up though....Years ago, the Ditzler (PPG) version of 'Avanti Turquoise' was much more blue and had less metallic in it than the Dupont version,....the version I chose for this car.

  35. #35
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by stude1964 View Post
    SN-60
    Real nice car! If you are in the Lehigh Valley, PA. area stop by as well. Thanks for the underhood pic. I was curious about the underhood light. I had one in my parts but didn't know what it fit. Now I do! Hopefully we'll be able to exercise our Studes soon as the salt is gone.
    Rob in PA.
    Thank You for the invite Rob!

  36. #36
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Another shot of the good old '63 taken at Larz Anderson Park in Brookline, Mass. a few years ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

  37. #37
    President Member bezhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    here, sometimes somewhere else
    Posts
    4,944
    DSCN7323.jpgJay Avanti 000 Best Glam Shot.jpgAvanti Dreaming 2.jpgI agree on turquoise being a good Avanti color!....here is one I restored . R3 B61
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com


    "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

  38. #38
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    DSCN7323.jpgJay Avanti 000 Best Glam Shot.jpgAvanti Dreaming 2.jpgI agree on turquoise being a good Avanti color!....here is one I restored . R3 B61
    Incredibly nice work...And that ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  39. #39
    President Member bezhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    here, sometimes somewhere else
    Posts
    4,944
    -Jay engine out.jpgThis one???
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com


    "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

  40. #40
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,267
    I've posted this photo before, but I really like it, so I figure I'll bore everybody with it again! Taken in Plymouth, Massachusetts just across the bay from the 'Mayflower ll' ship.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •