1950 Champion hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1950 Champion hubs

My Champion has 4 lug front hubs that I'm trying to convert to 5 lug front hubs. Is there a 5 lug front hub that will interchange? Can I use the existing knuckle/spindle or will that have to be switched? Are there any other parts that will have to be changed? I understand that the brakes and wheels will have to be changed to 5 lug. Thanks. Mine is the 9G Deluxe model.

The 4 lugs or the 5 lugs are part of the drum so any 9" 0r 10" should fit your car what ever you have there now. just my guess.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Randy,
      Champion king pins are smaller in diameter, so a later spindle will need to be used. But, the bushing area of the king pin is also smaller, I have found an off the shelf bushing that will take up that slack. The bearing IS the same size. I know that the later spindle will fit on the 51 Champion, I'm not sure on the 50 Champion. Send me a photo of the backside of the king pin (or front if you have the drum off) and I should be able to tell if the later spindle will fit. Or if you have the king pin out, send me some measurements of the diameters.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
        Randy,
        Champion king pins are smaller in diameter, so a later spindle will need to be used. But, the bushing area of the king pin is also smaller, I have found an off the shelf bushing that will take up that slack. The bearing IS the same size. I know that the later spindle will fit on the 51 Champion, I'm not sure on the 50 Champion. Send me a photo of the backside of the king pin (or front if you have the drum off) and I should be able to tell if the later spindle will fit. Or if you have the king pin out, send me some measurements of the diameters.

Jim
        Here are some pics of both the king pin and the spindle. The spindle number is 524245 and the king pin is #524783. The spindle does have a raised lip where the inner bearing (Timken #15123) butts up against it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Were you able to tell which spindle it is by my pictures? Randy

Comment

Yep, I have a bronze bushing that will take up the slack so you can install a later spindle, and get the 5 lug pattern you desire, my disc kit fits the later spindle.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

How about the rear wheels? Is there an adapter that allows a 5 lug hub to fit on a 50 Champion axle?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Where does the bronze bushing go and what later year spindle do I have to go to? If I go to the later spindle can you tell me what years and models? Are there any other parts I'll have to change such as the king pin and bushings, steering arms, or anything else? Thanks Randy

Comment

hub change?

Click image for larger version

Name:	M1530002.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1686974Did you have concerns with the 4 lug? I'm not trying to be a smart *#% The reason I'm asking is I have a 1950 Champion 9G-W5 myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30687[/ATTACH]Did you have concerns with the 4 lug? I'm not trying to be a smart *#% The reason I'm asking is I have a 1950 Champion 9G-W5 myself.
                    I'm going to later 5 lug wheels since my 4 lugs are rusted out.

Comment

The bushing replaces the old thin bushing in the spindle, 53 and up on the spindles.

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll have to go through my parts to see if I might have the '53 and later spindles. Well, one problem addressed now on to the rest. Randy

Comment

does anybody manufacture the 4 stud hubs or have a supply of NOS? i have no desire at this stage to convert to 5 stud but i need 2 hubs for the rear of my 50 champion and they seem near impossible to find!

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]30687[/ATTACH]Did you have concerns with the 4 lug? I'm not trying to be a smart *#% The reason I'm asking is I have a 1950 Champion 9G-W5 myself.
                            My understanding is that over time the wheels were prone to stress cracks on 4 stud lug design from 1950. Can anyone confirm this?
                            Last edited by southbend; 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X