Thread: Video-1951 Phantom Woody at SEMA

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar

Video-1951 Phantom Woody at SEMA

Here's more on this beautiful custom (video courtesy of Kevin 4961studebaker...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Silver Hawk Member
    That is one very nice custom and they knew what they were doing, all 50-51 should have bumpers removed for the really nice clean look, and it does wonders to 4 door cars and make me want one again, thanks for posting Dick and thanks on the other thing Dick....Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I love that car. I look forward to seeing it in person some day. I like the hubcaps he made for it.

Are those stock 50 taillights mounted upside down? They look a little bit taller but that could be an illusion because they are tilted more.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

President Member
    It was my favorite car of the show. There were so many folks around it a clean picture was difficult to shoot.

Denny L

Very nice job! Is the trim on the outside painted steel? Or is it all really wood.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Speedster Member
    I also saw the car at the recent SEMA show , it is fabulous. It always had a crowd around it. I was able to take some pictures. IMG_2523.jpgIMG_2524.jpg
    mrbobinc

thanks for link!

i believe he said that it was painted not all wood, but more wood will be placed on the inside. it's near the end where the interviewer asks if he farmed out the wood-work...

the taillights - not sure, a '50 owner would have to chime in. but they look similar to a '50 - certainly not 51's...
    Kerry

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. [IMG][/IMG] '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.[IMG][/IMG]

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvanti View Post
    thanks for link!

i believe he said that it was painted not all wood, but more wood will be placed on the inside. it's near the end where the interviewer asks if he farmed out the wood-work...

the taillights - not sure, a '50 owner would have to chime in. but they look similar to a '50 - certainly not 51's...
    What I heard was the interior window surrounds, the column, and the steering wheel were painted wood grain and the rest was real wood. But it was a little confusing and I could be wrong.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    What I heard was the interior window surrounds, the column, and the steering wheel were painted wood grain and the rest was real wood. But it was a little confusing and I could be wrong.
    Same thing I heard, the rest was real. Interesting to look over the wood work in closeup. The fit is nice but not perfect in several areas. Gaps wander slightly and you don't see the large radius of most custom wood work.

I'm not trying to be critical because it's a gorgeous car but just making observations. Guess I've been going to see the Ridler cars in Detroit too often.

Still a well done Studebaker.

Bob
    , ,

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Very nice job! Is the trim on the outside painted steel? Or is it all really wood.
    Real wood outside, painted woodgrain metal moldings inside.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...1-custom-woody
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia