Thread: Oil for a T-86 with over drive

Commander Member

Oil for a T-86 with over drive

Dose anyone know what oil you should put in a B-W T-86 w/od. A guy told me last night it should be 90wt gear oil, but I have it copied from an article that it should be 30wt non-detergent motor oil. The article said there should be no additives as they will cause problems with the over drive one way clutch.

Thanks, Gene
    Gene Shambaugh

President Member
    90W GL-1 gear oil is fine. Avoid anything labeled as "hypoid oil" or with an EP rating. I have had good luck with using a good quality 15W-40 or straight 40W motor oil, too. I find the syncros work better with a lighter oil.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

This is the closest thing to what's described in the owners manual, I can find. This is what I use.

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A DREAMER

Golden Hawk Member
    I might add that Farm Supply Stores in Rural areas carry "Traveler" Brand.
    But NAPA GL-1 Gear Oil is "NAPA" Brand.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

When I was still running a T86/overdrive in my Lark; I used to cheat and run the GL4/GL5 from CarQuest. Reasons being, we got a sweet deal through the business account due to how much we purchase. Next, after a rebuild, I did run the correct gear oil for a while; and there wasn't any difference in shifting or potential gear whine until I blew it apart. (Long story on the whine) Running the same stuff on my new T85C/overdrive as well.

Just my opinion; but learned from experimenting on what worked for me.
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1957 Packard Clipper
    1952 Commander 4 door sedan
    1914 Ford Model T

I use a full synthetic in my OD transmissions - perfectly good with white metals and really noticeable on those cool mornings (maybe twice a year in FL?).

Commander Member
    Thanks for all the good information. I have been running Tractor Supply HD 30wt for about 3000 miles and it seem to run very well. I just found a top load shifter and got installed today. That was a real job making the little arm off the rear shifter fork to lock out the over drive for reverse gear.
    Gene Shambaugh

President Member
    ....I used to find motorcycle 50wt for an old OD tranny.......worked ok except when cold....let it idle some and stay 1st gear/reverse a bit longer

Commander Member
    I got my transmission back together, found the 90wt,G-L1 oil at Tractor Supply and was going to take it for a drive and it wouldn't move! I shifted it into 1st, 2nd & 3rd and nothing, you could hear the gears running. I put in reverse and it backed up. So I pulled the over drive control out and it would drive like it should. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any ideas guys? I had this 3 speed rebuilt by a transmission company a year ago and installed all new wiring, switches and relays and it has been working good. It had 3 on the tree, I always wanted a floor shift and I found a top loaded. So I pulled the tranny, had Astro take the the internal shifting forks out of it and after big ordeal I got a little arm welded on the reverse shifting fork to lock out the over drive so I could back up. I appears that is working right. Have you ever heard of this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gene Shambaugh

Commander Member
    I got my transmission back together, found the 90wt,G-L1 oil at Tractor Supply and was going to take it for a drive and it wouldn't move! I shifted it into 1st, 2nd & 3rd and nothing, you could hear the gears running. I put in reverse and it backed up. So I pulled the over drive control out and it would drive like it should. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any ideas guys? I had this 3 speed rebuilt by a transmission company a year ago and installed all new wiring, switches and relays and it has been working good. It had 3 on the tree, I always wanted a floor shift and I found a top loaded. So I pulled the tranny, had Astro take the the internal shifting forks out of it and after big ordeal I got a little arm welded on the reverse shifting fork to lock out the over drive so I could back up. I appears that is working right. Have you ever heard of this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gene Shambaugh

President Member
    Who is Astro, a transmission shop? They must disassembled the trans to do the shift levers. Ask them what they used to hold the one-way clutch rollers in place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Commander Member
    Yes, there a transmission parts and rebuild company here in Florida. Yes they took it apart and removed the shift levers on the side of the transmission. I modified the low/reverse fork on the top loader to lock out the over drive in reverse. I took pictures and made a little drawing of it. If interested I could email to you. It's not a great weld job, but it will hold and the drawing was not done by an engineering company, but you can make it OK. I wonder why my last post, posted twice?
    Gene Shambaugh

President Member
    Gene, not sure you understood what I was asking. I'm saying you should call the trans. shop and ask what they used to hold the rollers of the overdrive one-way clutch in place during reassembly. Some people use heavy grease, some use a rubber band. Either one should melt away pretty quickly and allow the rollers to grab the clutch drum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Commander Member
    Yes I did call them today and they said they used a different grease then they have been using, but he thought in would flush out if I drove it for a few miles. Well I took it for a drive with the O.D handle pulled out and I went about 4 miles and it just acted like I took it out of gear. I put it in 2nd and nothing. I pulled off the road and went thru all of the gears and it would not move, with O.D. in or out. So I call a friend that has a garage and he sent his roll back out and took me home. Will waiting I called Astro and he was stumped, but said bring it up and he'll fix it for me. Of coarse that's easier said then done.
    Gene Shambaugh