No announcement yet.

Idaho Potato Commerical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw this in the cafeteria down here at Utah State University. Being an Idaho boy, and a proud Studebaker owner, my eyes lit up when I saw this ad. Great Stuff.
    '56 Studebaker C-Cab--55 front end temporarily. '64 model 259 V8+4spd

Comment

Here's a different angle...
      Using an orphan like a Studebaker prevents them from having any connection to an existing manufacturer, or having Chevy haters not buy potatoes because they used a Ford in a commercial...and vice versa...
      But... Using a Stude is a good thing!
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Here's a different angle...
        Using an orphan like a Studebaker prevents them from having any connection to an existing manufacturer, or having Chevy haters not buy potatoes because they used a Ford in a commercial...and vice versa...
        Jeff
        What Jeffster said, exactly.

In advertising-land, you don't want your message to be derailed by any unpleasant distractions. Using an orphan truck like a nice Studebaker only brings smiles to people's faces and garners good will for the product being advertised.

I would think an extant truck manufacturer would have to pony up an enormous amount of money for them to want to use a vintage model of a truck still in production...those uses are best left for advertisements of the newest model of that particular make. (It has been proven that the viewers most attentive to a given motor vehicle advertisement are those who already own the make being advertised. True). BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          [COLOR=#000080][B]Here's a different angle...
          Unless its to sell Allstate Insurance.

Craig

Comment

This gorgeous '55 truck is owned by Diane Mortensen, editor of the Snake River Chapter, SDC in Boise Idaho (and her hubby, Steve).
            It was pretty rough when they bought it (ran when parked, derelict). Diane has been the major force in getting it done, and looks just as good up close! Diane beat out lots of belly-button pickups to get her truck in this ad... Thought you might like the back story.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I think Studebaker had a pretty big presence in Idaho - at least with trucks. I rember the year I worked for Massey Ferguson- 1985. We had a prototype combine running with the Jones of Twin Falls. I was there with it. I was eating breakfast at the Holiday Inn in Twin Falls and I looked out to see a Studebaker truck pulling a trailer made from a Chev truck. I remember thinking it would be the opposite way back home in Ontario. Anyone know if the Depot Grille restraunt still exists? Great homade pies!!

Comment

Here's the current menu, Neil:

http://www.allmenus.com/id/twin-falls/3559-the-depot-grill/menu/
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  This gorgeous '55 truck is owned by Diane Mortensen, editor of the Snake River Chapter, SDC in Boise Idaho (and her hubby, Steve).
                  It was pretty rough when they bought it (ran when parked, derelict). Diane has been the major force in getting it done, and looks just as good up close! Diane beat out lots of belly-button pickups to get her truck in this ad... Thought you might like the back story.
                  Thank you for the back story. I was curious who the owner was. Are "belly-button pickups" Fords? The producers certainly made the right choice with the Studebaker. It's a keeper.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

A red and white DODGE of 55-57 vintage make a brief appearance in this Idaho Potato commercial at 25 seconds.

Here's a behind-the-scenes look at our Denise Austin ad and what happens to delicious and nutritious Idaho® potatoes after a commercial shoot.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Thanks Bob. If i am ever in the area again it will be a place I would like to see as well as the Holiday Inn with the Snake River Canyon so close.

Regards

Neil

Comment

I'm happy to say my wife mentioned this commercial to me yesterday, "I saw a commercial with a Studebaker pickup in it, I thought!" I hadn't seen the commercial, other than the mention on the Forum but I told her she was right, she DID saw a Studebaker pickup on TV!

Comment

I haven't seen the ad in Iowa yet... will keep watching for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                            I haven't seen the ad in Iowa yet... will keep watching for it.
                            Go up to the first post and click on the blue url. You get a youtube video of the whole commercial.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Commercial was on Fox during the World Series last night in the Chicago land area. That is one Sweeeeeeeet Pick - up. I'm not so crazy about the Bloodhound though.

It probably a good idea to use the Stude truck so Chebby, Dodge or Ford owners would not get their "undies" in a knot over the wrong brand of truck being used or, heaven help us, something like a Toyota Tundra, then the whole "Buy USA" group would really be upset.
                              Last edited by plwindish; 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM.
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Carol and I saw the ad several times. Very nice truck. Maybe the ad increased the sale of Idaho potatoes in South Bend area, too!
                                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X