Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my 289 and FOM ever be made to stop leaking completely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If no fluids go in...No fluids come out! Seems simple.

Comment

Pbrown PM sent
      Kim

Comment

Seems like removing the concrete floor in the garage would solve the problem. I keep some large pieces of cardboard to place under the cars. So far the cardboard has lasted a couple years, so the leaks must not be too bad. I have found that searching and fixing leaks can be a full time job. Once you fix one, the pressure goes to the next weakest place and you have created another problem. As things wear and age dries out seals, leaks are to be expected. I'm talking drips, not streams here. Good luck on your quest.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I thought they simply Marked their Territory.......

Comment

One of the posts on here really got to me and I feel the need to speak. "A Studebaker is like a Harley, if it's not leaking oil that means it's more than likely is out of oil." They do not leak oil. Even the old Harleys do not leak oil. That happens to be the automatic chain oiler.....................Hey, maybe Studebakers have an automatic chain oiler

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
              One of the posts on here really got to me and I feel the need to speak. "A Studebaker is like a Harley, if it's not leaking oil that means it's more than likely is out of oil." They do not leak oil. Even the old Harleys do not leak oil. That happens to be the automatic chain oiler.....................Hey, maybe Studebakers have an automatic chain oiler
              Are you serious, in saying old Harleys do not leak oil? If so, that is even more inaccurate than saying Studes do not leak.

I have owned a 52 'K' Model Sportster (at 16 years old), 47 Indian Chief (at 17 years old), a 61 Pan, 67, 70 & 72 shovel (between 1975 and 1981), and currently an 86 FXRD, for the past 10 years or so. The 86 comes closest to not leaking, but more accurate to say, it doesn't leak "much"
              Last edited by JoeHall; 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

When I acquired my Daytona, a very leaky car, I removed the drive train for a full reseal. The FOM proved to remain significantly leaky. After a clean off of the FOM, it appeared that the leak was originating at the fill tube bracket on the side of the pan. Removed the trans pan again for close inspection and found a burn through on one of the spot welds. That was the leak. Since this was a low mileage original, it had obviously leaked since it left the factory. You just never know! Clean up the trans with spray cleaner and study where the oil is leaking. Don't overlook the vent fitting also.
                Last edited by WCP; 10-23-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

One of my brother's friend's summed it up best for me. He said (about the oil stains on the driveway), "Man, can I have the oil rights to this driveway?"

Comment

Update on my leaks...

Replaced:

Oil Pan Gasket
                    Real Main Seal
                    Transmission Pan Gasket
                    Tailshaft Seal
                    Tailshaft Bushing and Driveshaft Yoke (when we pulled it out, about half the yoke was galled, as if it was just sitting in a corrosive liquid for a long time. To ensure the seal we did the bushing, yoke and seal)

Happy to say 99% of my leaks are gone for the moment!

Still occasional drips from the front of the engine, but I'm satisfied for now!

Thanks for all the help!
                    Last edited by pbrown; 12-24-2013, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I wish we all would follow up on updates on similar posts. Glad you had good results.

Comment

If the front of the engine is an issue...I agree with what was previously posted regarding the lip seal conversion on the timing gear cover. Works great.

D
                        sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post
                          If the front of the engine is an issue...I agree with what was previously posted regarding the lip seal conversion on the timing gear cover. Works great.

D
                          I agree that it sounds like the answer, but right now the leak is minor enough not to warrant the effort.

Comment

I still remember going into my first Honda motorcycle sales floor and seeing no oil dripping from any bike in there! Incredible!!! And, no Honda bike I ever had leaked a drop. Still incredible!
                            Corley

Comment

Congrats on getting everything sealed up!
                              sigpic
                              1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

i've done all that and more on my 61 cruiser - still leaks a little. engine and transmission. if it doesn't leak, it's probably empty.
                                61 lark cruiser
                                64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Working...
                                X