Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front seat adjustment (1950 Champion)

9G-F5 - '50 Champion two-door sedan

on my '40, the adjustments were underneath the car. i plan on doing the same with my '51 when i get a "round-tuit"...

if you don't have a body & chassis manual, order one from one of our vendors - and a service manual!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My 47 Champion has has the front seat bolted tot he frame with 4 3/8" fine thread bolts passing through the floor. On the bottom of the seat mounting pad that the bolts pass through, there are 3 holes which allow 3 positions of the seat. I think that is what the owners manual refers too. If you look and see where the seat is bolted to the car and you may not be in the front hole which will let the seat back to its rearmost position.

Comment

There is a service manual? Haven't heard that one yet. I've got the other three for my 50 Champion 9G- ----But, back to the question,,,, Stupid answer---make the pedals shorter....or what about some kind of runner, like a 1" by 1" square metal tube on the floor to bolt the runner to. Slide the seat and runner back a couple inches.

Comment

I've got about $300 I need to spend with our vendors, plus another $200 I'd like to spend. I need to pace myself, but the manuals are definitely a priority buy.

Thanks for the explanation, folks.

Comment

there are 2 ways I know to make seating/driving comfort work best for the driver....1 has already been mentioned, that being screwing your seat bottom bases through the "forward" holes to move the seat back. Another helper is steering wheel height. It takes a bit more work, but essentially you can raise or lower the wheel by adjusting the steering column both at the dashboard, with shims, and at the steering gear by loosening and adjusting the gear-to-frame bolts.....Every pre-60's Stude car I've ever been in has the steering wheel raised for a very large stomach.....

Comment

Jack, you make a great suggestion there. And I will certainly put that to use as well. If not for the additional room, then because my wheel seems to be tilted down toward the driver's door, as though the column enters the passenger compartment at an angle. Thanks!

Comment

On one car I bought years ago, the seat would not push all the way back.
                After unbolting the seat from the floor, I found that the seat had been reupholstered at some time and the guy had arranged the cloth so that it interfered with the seat slide.
                It would go back till the cloth caught. There was plenty of slide left but the upholstery would not let it move back.
                Also, are you sure the seat is moving all the way back on it's track ?
                Could be the track needs cleaned out and lubricated to move fully.
                Those factory bolt adjustments will only move the seat frame a couple inches at most so some sort of "runner" may be needed.
                I'm 6'2". With seat frame bolted all the way back and seat moved all the way back I have plenty of room in my 55.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

My interior also has been reupholstered, so I'll check that first. Thanks for the thought.

Comment

Working...
                  X