Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 hub caps?

9G-F5 - '50 Champion two-door sedan

The early 1950 hub caps are available from Studebaker International reproduction for $75.00 a pc, the late 1950 caps for $50.00 a pc. You will need the retainer clips as well. If you do not have their catalog you can view it on line with pictures.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Wow, thanks 41 Frank! My car has painted headlight rings, so I assume its early, but is there any way to tell from the numbers?

Comment

Best thing top do with a new purchase is to purchase a build sheet. The Studebaker National Museum can supply you with one... it has lots of neat info on it (even though it CAN contain errors).

Comment

Someone here will chime in with that production info, I do not have that. Some bare bones Champion models were produced with painted headlight rings.
          Originally posted by David Conwill View Post
          Wow, thanks 41 Frank! My car has painted headlight rings, so I assume its early, but is there any way to tell from the numbers?
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
            Best thing top do with a new purchase is to purchase a build sheet. The Studebaker National Museum can supply you with one... it has lots of neat info on it (even though it CAN contain errors).

Wow, I didn't know you could get such a thing. I definitely would like to know how my car was originally built.

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
            Some bare bones Champion models were produced with painted headlight rings.
            According to my Standard Catalog of American Cars

Comment

My 010G F5 came with chrome headlight rings.

Comment

For the record the headlight rims were changed from painted to chrome at Champion serial G547936 and Commander 4427984 on or about Jan 25, 1950. The chrome rims were available for retrofit on cars of previous production at a list of $3.50 and $4.63 respectively.

I had the small Champion wheel covers (hub caps), part #524856, reproduced in year 2000. When they sold out I sold the tooling to Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International who, as mentioned, has them available. Re the hub cap clips, Studebaker changed the clips from the riveted style to the spring steel press-in type in Jan 1950 at serial #G542601 (Champion) and serial 4428475 (Commander). The new clips part #526646 were held in place by spring tension and are supposed to be more reliable in holding the caps in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 champ cpe yellow black forum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1684147
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Quinn. It appears I have an early car, as mine is G-53266. I requested a production order from the museum today, so I guess I'll know some more details in four to six weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by David Conwill View Post
                    Thanks, Mr. Quinn. It appears I have an early car, as mine is G-53266. I requested a production order from the museum today, so I guess I'll know some more details in four to six weeks!
                    David, I believe you are missing a digit from the serial number. They would all be six digit.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

You are right, I left out a digit in the middle. It should be G-532566.

Unfortunately, this means I gave the museum the wrong SN also, so I'll need to call them back and correct my order.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

I got my clips from Studebaker International last night. I test fit a few hubcaps I had lying around and discovered this:

The hubcap is a standard 10 1/8" cap from a 1961 or '62 Ford Galaxie. Based on how well it fits, I ordered up a set of Mr. Gasket Baby Moon hubcaps from eBay (PN 4580 and available from Summit and Autzone also). They should be here in a few days. I'll post pictures once they're on.

Now I'm itching for wide whitewall bias plies next spring!

Comment

That is a good-looking car. Does the interior look as good as the outside? A set of trim rings would look good on the wheels, but the baby moons will look great by themselves. Please, post more pictures. I am having post-partum blues today. I just sold my 1950 Star Light coupe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                            That is a good-looking car. Does the interior look as good as the outside? A set of trim rings would look good on the wheels, but the baby moons will look great by themselves. Please, post more pictures. I am having post-partum blues today. I just sold my 1950 Star Light coupe.
                            Thanks for the kind words, Sam. Here's my favorite picture so far:

When I get the baby moons on, I'll take some more pictures. The interior is very comfy, clean and fresh, although I don't believe it's correct. It is a gray-and-maroon mouse fur that reminds me of our '87 GMC Safari Van.

When it wears out, I'll look into more authentic upholstery. At least everything is stock aside from the fabric.

Comment

You may want to "re-think" the Bias Ply Tires plan! You will find that the Coker (or Diamond Back) Radial Wide Whites will handle MUCH better. That could require better Radial designed wheels however.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X