Thread: First Lambrecht car to show up on eBay

First Lambrecht car to show up on eBay

I will be very interested to see if it sells.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251351266354
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

President Member
    The auction catalog indicates it was purchased for $18,000 by o****e who bought a lot of cars.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    This will be good, and worth following.

Question: Is the $25,000 supposed to be an opening bid as well as a BIN price? In other words, you can't bid less than $25,000? If the seller is at all savvy, wouldn't he have a shill buddy open it at $25,000? (But wouldn't that also "sell" it to the shill?)

Just wondering how this works, given the lack or reserve, no bids recorded, and a BIN of 25 large....or, given the condition of the subject car, 25 GIGANTIC!

I intially wondered about that lower color being Cameo Coral, but according to the data plate he posted, it is. (The Code 989 on the data plate denotes Cameo Coral Lower and Satin Beige Upper.)

The nice 1959 Bel Air sedan crashed by The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in 2009 was the same Cameo Coral Lower and Satin Beige Upper. (I know that because I looked the car over carefully in person exactly 5 years ago, at the 2008 Newport IN Hill Climb, where it was for sale. I'd recognize that color anywhere, as popular as it was on 1959 Chevrolets.)

This photo proves there are sure a lot of differences in color hues among various photographs and monitors, for sure, since the car below and the e-bay subject are supposed to be the same color:

But, boy, this Lambrecht-sourced offering sure looks more "red" than that. (Yes, it's too bad The IIHS didn't buy a low-miles Lambrecht car for their destructive nonsense. It would have had the structural integrity of a new car, if that's what they wanted to prove their point.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-04-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Panem et Circenses

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    This will be good, and worth following.

Question: Is the $25,000 supposed to be an opening bid as well as a BIN price? In other words, you can't bid less than $25,000? If the seller is at all savvy, wouldn't he have a shill buddy open it at $25,000? (But wouldn't that also "sell" it to the shill?)

Just wondering how this works, given the lack or reserve, no bids recorded, and a BIN of 25 large....or, given the condition of the subject car, 25 GIGANTIC!

]BP[/B]
    The $25,000 is a a BIN (buy it now price) meaning if you pay $25,000 now you own the car. There is a also a Make an Offer choice. For this, you submit an offer and it is either accepted or rejected. There is no auction (bidding).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Thanks, Gary. That is kind of what I thought, and it makes sense.

Clarification / verification appreciated. BP
    Panem et Circenses

'Just thought of something regarding this car. It is advertised as a "survivor."

Really?

I suppose you could say it survived in that it is still here, but the generally-accepted definition of a survivor within the hobby is a reasonably-pleasant, running and driving car with only maintenance items having been replaced to keep it in the air along the way, with perhaps modest paint work to take care of grandma having backed into a parking lot pole or something.

But this subject e-bay offering is going to require considerable refurbishing just to make it again operable!

Hmmmm..... BP
    Panem et Circenses

President Member
    'Just thought of something regarding this car. It is advertised as a "survivor."

Really?

I suppose you could say it survived in that it is still here, but the generally-accepted definition of a survivor within the hobby is a reasonably-pleasant, running and driving car with only maintenance items having been replaced to keep it in the air along the way, with perhaps modest paint work to take care of grandma having backed into a parking lot pole or something.

But this subject e-bay offering is going to require considerable refurbishing just to make it again operable!

Hmmmm..... BP
    A '59 two-door sedan Chevy is not often seen IMHO. While the styling is over-the-top, I did like how they did the optional two-toning that year.

That's before I started knowing Chevy colors, but it's hard to believe that that car and the one that NHTSA crashed are supposed to be the same color! I seem to remember a coppery color on '60 Chevys, but am drawing a blank on the '59's. I seem (accent on 'seem') to remember that more salmon-y color like the Lambrecht car, on '59's.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan V8

Bill: You are correct, there was a fairly common 1960 Chevrolet color similar to Cameo Coral. It was a little darker and more accurately identified as Suntan Copper. (I wonder if Coppertone suntan products had anything to do with that selection? )

There are three reasons I more vividly remember the Cameo Coral and Satin Beige combination.

1. It was one of the most common of 1959 Chevrolet two-tones. In fact, I can't think of a more typical 1959 Chevrolet two-tone combination than Cameo Coral and Satin Beige.

2. I was in the eighth grade at the time. There was a pair of attractive twin girls in my class and I was sorta boy friend / girl friend with either of them at one time or another. More importantly (of course), their parents had a new 1959 Biscayne 4-door, six with Powerglide, in which I rode several times. It was two-tone Cameo Coral and Satin Beige. 'Kind of unusual for a Biscayne to be two-tone, but it was.

3. About 15 years ago, a really nice 1959 Impala Sport Sedan surfaced for sale west of Brownsburg. I went to look at it to try to buy it. It was Cameo Coral and Satin Beige two-tone...almost as I might have expected before I even got there! (Ironically, I have no idea what happened to it. I wasn't able to buy it and it fell off the radar around here, so it may have left the area.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-04-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Panem et Circenses

Speedster Member
    ha! no carb. What's with that? think there will be any crap in the manifold/cyls? Think it is seized? An awful lot of work to be done just to get it to start, run, and drive. Think the tranny seals or any other seals are bad?
    ? yr M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Styling only a mother would love. I remember when they came out even as a 10 year old I kindof scratched my head.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

President Member
    Those floors and trunk look pretty nasty. At 55K on the odometer is this car what a "Lambrecht car" (low miles) is all about?

It will be interesting to see what this similar and very clean 1959 Chevy goes for on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Be...US_Cars_Trucks 6 days to find out
    Refrigerator Repair Man: "Mrs. Bunker was the refrigerator light working?"
    Edith Bunker: "Ahh..., off and on."
    Refrigerator Repair Man: "What do you mean?"
    Edith Bunker: "Well, on when I open the door..., and off when I close the door."

I think this guy is going to have a tough road to whole getting that kind of money. He misunderstood/overestimated the Lambrecht mystique.

The thing that made this sale special was the brand new, 0 miles vehicles. I still contend that many of those will probably prove to be good buys. But, I think most of the used cars were grossly overpaid for. And, I think this is the first example. Time will tell.

By the way – the new Lambrecht items are a bidder's number for $9.99, a poster, and long sleeve Lambrecht shirts. Yeah, I bought one :-) There is also the first of I am sure many non-Lambrecht vehicles who have used the word Lambrecht in their listing to get more hits. Well played, Mr. salesman.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bob, I think you meant to say the guy will have a tough row to hoe, the expression referring to the stress of manual tending to hard or crusty garden soil.

But if there is something to the phrase road to whole, I'm all ears!

Agreed on your overall assessment, however.

Wait 'till the new owner of this subject '59, if it gets sold, calls Daytona Parts Company and tries to find a correct-code replacement 4-bbl carburetor for a power pack 1959 283 Chevy...if they even have one they'll sell him. BP
    Panem et Circenses

You know I know that, Bob. That's what I said into my dictation program on my iPhone; But sometimes it doesn't hear just right, and I don't have time to go and fix it. But since you mentioned it in writing, I suppose there's no point in fixing it now anyway :-)
    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

More weidrness, Bob (and others).

Take a look at the photos of the subject Lambrecht '59 in the OP. Look carefully at Photos #3, 4, 5, and 6; especially #4: It looks like that car has a brand-new tailpipe on it! I mean so shiny it looks like it's been on there less than a month, but the rest of the car appears to have had zero attention for decades. BP
    Panem et Circenses

A mystery with a car that is far from in running condition. It looks like the exhaust manifolds are gone too, and the water pump, and radiator.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Doesn't look like a $25,000 car to me. I don't think it's worth 18k either. Looks to me like someone got all swept up in the Lambrecht mania.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Quote Originally Posted by Sdude View Post
    Doesn't look like a $25,000 car to me. I don't think it's worth 18k either. Looks to me like someone got all swept up in the Lambrecht mania.
    Lots of decimal points were erroneously moved to the right in people's heads that day, Jon.

We can see by the auction that no one has hit the BIN. Is there any way to tell if he has received any offers, much less what they are? BP
    Panem et Circenses

We can see by the auction that no one has hit the BIN. Is there any way to tell if he has received any offers, much less what they are? BP
    No way to tell. Unless it's different on a computer than my iPhone, there is no 'Make Offer' option. If there were, it would show the number of offers tendered; but not the offer amounts (except to the seller). I have often wished you could see the offer amounts.

I figured it wouldn't sell in this listing. The seller will then likely either relist with a lower price, or add the 'Make Offer' feature, or relist as an auction. Of course, the only smart thing to do is auction format with reserve and low opening bid.

Of course, that might prove rather painful as the seller receives a look at the real market value of his "investment"
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 10-06-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    No way to tell. Unless it's different on a computer than my iPhone, there is no 'Make Offer' option. If there were, it would show the number of offers tendered; but not the offer amounts (except to the seller). I have often wished you could see the offer amounts.

I figured it wouldn't sell in this listing. The seller will then likely either relist with a lower price, or add the 'Make Offer' feature, or relist as an auction. Of course, the only smart thing to do is auction format with reserve and low opening bid.

Of course, that might prove rather painful as the seller receives a look at the real market value of his "investment"
    The eBay listing does have a BIN AND a "Make Offer". There have been two offers tendered, both declined.

I agree, that on eBay it should be an auction with a low starting bid and a reserve.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    The eBay listing does have a BIN AND a "Make Offer". There have been two offers tendered, both declined.
    Now that I'm home, I see that. This is the first time I realized that on my iPhone, the 'Make Offer' button or number of offers does not show anywhere. Good to know.
    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

President Member
    $25K will buy a running driver quality '59 Chebby. THis car probably needs to have $$$ spent on it to be a $25K car. If the dealer paid $18K for it, I think he isn't too bright.

A lot of the bidders at that auction weren't to bright from the looks of things.