pertronix ll on Avanti 63 - r1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony,
    This is REAL tough to do long distance. Based on Brad's info above (thanks, Brad!), the actual wiring colors in an Avanti don't entirely correspond to the wiring diagram for an Avanti that I linked to and it doesn't appear that your actual wiring corresponds to either.

Is there any way you can just put it back to stock and then at some point in time, enlist the on site assistance of someone who has successfully installed Pertronix in an Avanti? Quite frankly, the stock, dual point ignition on your car is pretty good. You MIGHT notice a little easier starting with the Pertronix, but unless you drive the car hard and often, the advantages of the Pertronix (no points to adjust or replace, hotter spark) would probably not be noticed.

Disconnecting the wire that provides 12v when cranking is optional. I would do it just because it isn't needed with the Pertronix coil, but this isn't necessary. Brad says this wire should be pale green with a black stripe.

Brad confirms that an Avanti has a ballast resistor, not a pink resistor wire (it can't have both), so the info on Bob Johnstone's page does not apply to an Avanti (with the possible exception of the tachometer part)

The power wire from the ignition switch is black with a green tracer. In stock form, this wire is on one end of the ballast resistor and there is a red wire on the other end of the ballast resistor that goes to the coil. You can either put the black with a green tracer directly to the + terminal of the Pertronix coil, or move it to the same terminal on the ballast resistor as the red wire that already goes to the + terminal on the coil.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Gentleman, The Avanti is running fine now! black w green tracer from the ignition key to positive +, red ignitor ll to the coil positive+, green and black to positive +.
      On the negative - post on coil is the black from the ignitor ll. There should also be the black tach wire on the negative -. However the tach if hooked up runs erratically. The only problem I have is how do I get the tachometer to work properly again?
      By the way I have thought about putting back the points, the original coil, and screw the electronic stuff, but after all this work, I'm so close to the solution I can taste it. As to the performance of the car with the electronic ignition the response is great and runs flawlessly with out a tach. Had it out for a long open road run and the response was great. I was hoping that another Avanti owner tried this and would have the answers. You guys have been great. maybe we can figure it out. Tony

Comment

Dick,Bob and Joe, I want to thank you for your input. I finally have have everything working properly. Blowing up and laminating the wiring diagram, and purchasing a Power Probe lll made all the difference. A carb readjustment and timing of the engine to eliminate the hesitation corrected the tach also. By the way the tach is connected to the Negative -. That Bob Johnston's page really had me going crazzzzzzzy!

Comment

Thanks for posting the "epilog", Tony.

Have fun with your Avanti!
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Glad you got her going Tony. Happy motoring

Comment

Had a Pertronix Coil wired according to Pert's directions (no ballast resistor). Coil burnt out - Pert replaced the coil and strongly suggested wiring in the resistor - Stated the coil would run cooler and be less likely to fail. First one lasted less than one month, the second (w/ resistor) has been going for almost a year.
              Paul TK

Comment

Hi Paul,
                I have a pertronix coil, it states that it has an internal resistor. Flame thrower I, not a Flame thrower II. I will keep checking how hot it is getting and let you know. Tony

Comment

Working...
                X