paintim613's Custom 53 Studebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paintim613's Custom 53 Studebird

Tim recently had his car at a special Route 66 car show in Flagstaff AZ. These pictures were taken by an amateur photographer and shared with Tim, who shared them with me via email. I think they show how stunning his car is. His car was picked as #8 out of 400 at the show, congratulations!

Click image for larger version

Name:	red_and_white.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1740505

Name:	red_and_white3.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1740506

Name:	red_and_white2.jpg
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1740507

Name:	red_and_white4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1740508
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

The grill sure makes me think strongly of late 50's Hillman's & Sunbeam's & such.

Comment

• paintim613
      paintim613 commented
      Editing a comment
      Saw my first Hillman last weekend and the grill similarity is obvious.

Looks fantastic. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
      The grill sure makes me think strongly of late 50's Hillman's & Sunbeam's & such.
      Some may recognize the grill as being from a '55 Ford Fairlane. Our car is often mistaken for a '56 TBird but we have picture proof that it was finished well before the '56 TBirds came out. Click on my signature link below for the restoration pictures.
      Last edited by paintim613; 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM.
      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Every time I see that car I like it more.

As I've said before, it has to be one of the most unique customs going.

And, the family history connected to it is priceless.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

I have received several PMs asking for larger pics than are in my signature link of our '53 custom that was done by my wife's father and uncle in 1954-5 in their Custer, SD body shop. Since I still haven't figured out how to post pictures, I am posting this reply to get these excellent shots more accessible. Car still has original 232 V8 and 3 speed with OD tranny with 21K miles. Thanks again to Pat for posting these originally. If anyone wants more about the car history please send me a PM.

Comment

Tim, any time you would like pictures of your car posted I am happy to do it. Just email them to me like you did these. The car definitely deserves to be seen!

Pat
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Still shaking my head after our car was called a Corvair. Need some help in seeing similarities.

Comment

This car was featured in the January, 2017, issue of Hemmings Motor News.

Comment

Our car was voted as Best of Show at recent North Central Zone Meet in Colorado Springs. Honestly the biggest surprise and most memorable award yet.

Comment

Since our car is often called a TBird by non-Stude folks, we no longer use the term "Studebird." We say, "It's a one of a kind '53 Studebaker custom" in an effort to avoid confusion. When the TBird comment comes up we tell people that our car was in its first parade in the summer of 1955, well before the '56 TBirds hit the showroom and that Ford spies saw it and decided to copy it, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                      Some may recognize the grill as being from a '55 Ford Fairlane. Our car is often mistaken for a '56 TBird but we have picture proof that it was finished well before the '56 TBirds came out. Click on my signature link below for the restoration pictures.
                      It almost resembles a '59 Hillman grille: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1957-H...ictures-c14670

I wonder if the Rootes Group designers used it for reference.

Craig

Comment

Our car recently received its second award picked by an active member of the military. This is especially meaningful because my wife's father and uncle, who customized it in 1954-5, both served in WWII. Her uncle was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked and her father survived the Bataan death march.

Comment

Our '53 custom was awarded Best Modified 50 to Present out of 100+ cars in our class at 6/5/21 Cruzin the Rim car show in Show Low, AZ. A great tribute to my wife's father and uncle who modified it in 1954-5

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

It almost resembles a '59 Hillman grille: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1957-H...ictures-c14670

I wonder if the Rootes Group designers used it for reference.

Craig
                            The front treatment of the headlights and the side vertical pieces look very similar to the Stude. Some of the guys working there were no doubt involved with the Stude design. All the designers look at each other's work. True in Architecture too.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                            X