Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID and Paint Codes

I need help again!

I am trying to identify the engine that is in my truck. The truck is an R5, manufactured in 49 1/2. The plate on the left hand side at the waterpump only has the # 62 inside of a studebaker symbol. I can't find any other numbers. The color of the engine is a burnt orange.

The paint code I have is P-2, Trim T-6. I checked with the paint store and they told me it is too old of a code for them to be able to determine the color. Would the inside and outside of the truck have been painted the same color? It looks like it was.

Any help is appreciated!
    Gary, Mopar Tech.

These numbers on the engine, are they stamped into a raised pad on the driver's side of the block just behind the water pump? There should just be a series of digits, IIRC. There is a link on this page to starting and ending engine numbers for the various series.

As far as I know, burnt orange was never a Stude engine color. At the time the 2Rs were sold, engines were normally painted "motor oil green", quite similar to the old Bell Telephone Green as used on their trucks. I guess that you have a replacement engine in there, which is often the case on a well-used truck. There were a lot of rebuilt Weasel engines surplussed out in the '50s and '60s, and I have seen them turn up in Stude pickups.

I can't help you with the trim codes, but surely somebody else here can. I'm pretty certain that the interior paint, exclusive of removable trim parts, was the same as the body color.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I wonder if that "plate" was put there by the shop that rebuilt the engine. That might also explain the non stock engine color.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I had called it a plate, but it is really the flat area where the number is stamped into the block, behind the water pump. Would any of the numbers stamped on the head mean anything? I'm trying to determine what water pump I need to get.

Comment

Sure, any numbers will help to some extent. Try to find the raised casting numbers low on the dist side of the block. Date code in that area too. Cylinder head casting number from top of head.
          If the P-2 came from one of the ID tags located in the left step well, it should have 4 numbers to be a readable paint code. I think all the cabs were trim level T-6. That means it has two sunvisors, two armrests, an ash tray, vinyl seat, etc.
          Also, please describe the design of what you call the Studebaker symbol.

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks for all the information I have been given already. It's hard for me to describe what I am calling the Studebaker symbol, it might not even be what that is.

The Block # is 518448-3. I found this # on the left side of the engine, below the distributor.

Head # 199697, if I need to find more numbers I'll have to clean the engine better.

Thanks again
            Gary

Comment

I just found the complete paint code! It is P2197. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Those casting numbers would be period correct. 1949 to 1952 inclusive at least. Would you say the symbol looks like a keystone?

The paint code is for a color known as Cuban Tan.

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Yes! That's very close to what it looks like, with a 62 in the center.

Comment

Working...
                  X