No Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: No Keys

Hello All. My name is Bill Green. I bought my 1961 Lark a couple months ago, and it doesn't have any keys for the trunk or the doors. The ignition has been replaced, but the old one is in the trunk. My production order says: Ign. key number 4142 and trunk key number 1264. Can anyone help me? I've looked through older posts and have sent PM's to a couple of guys, but so far no answers or acknowledgement. Must be busy. I understand. Thanks.

I have the same problem. The keys for the door originally matched the ignition and the trunk matched the glove box (if it was locking). Studebaker International sells a key set with the ignition matching the doors as a kit. They also sell a lock cylinder kit with key.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by wwogg View Post
      Hello All. My name is Bill Green. I bought my 1961 Lark a couple months ago, and it doesn't have any keys for the trunk or the doors. The ignition has been replaced, but the old one is in the trunk. My production order says: Ign. key number 4142 and trunk key number 1264. Can anyone help me? I've looked through older posts and have sent PM's to a couple of guys, but so far no answers or acknowledgement. Must be busy. I understand. Thanks.
      Most locksmiths can make a new key to fit your existing locks. I've seen them do it in less than five minutes.

Comment

Some old time Locksmiths will also know how to decode those Studebaker YALE Key codes.
        Tell them it is a 1961 Yale.

I believe your Trunk lock Code is S1264 it is just a 4 Tumbler lock that many Desk Drawer Lock keys will open, also if you had 4 or 5 Studes or did at an SDC Meeting, I would bet money on one of them opening it, they will accept anything even CLOSE!

You could do it many ways, one is Buy a New Studebaker beveled polished Aluminum Ignition Switch BEZEL and correct Lock Cylinder and have the Locksmith key it to one of the Door Locks, with any amount of luck, you should have it back to correct; 2 Keys again, if you key or replace the Trunk Lock also.

Studebaker Vendors at: http://studebakervendor.com are your Friends!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Congratulations Bill on your Lark. Rich referred to getting a new aluminum ignition bezel to replace the original "pot metal" bezel as a safety reason too. The "ears" on the original bezel get old & are subject to breaking off & when that happens, its not good for a short occurs & the possibility of fire or at least a burned out wire harness is the result. Cant stress the importance enough.

Has your ignition switch been replaced with a generic auto parts switch that has a big nut holding it to the dash? If so, you can't get that coded to the door key. You will have to replace it with one from the vendors, just make sure you get one that will be able to be coded to the doors because there are 2 switches available & the cheaper one looks like the OEM switch but uses a completely different key whereas the more expensive one can be coded.

The trunk & glove box use a common key however if your locksmith cannot make a key from the production sheet, have them use the trunk cylinder to make a key. This is because the glove box, although it uses the same key, has one fewer tumblers in it. Hope all these posts help!
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I ordered a set of keys from SI. Just have to find a good locksmith locally to cut the keys.

Comment

Not familiar with Larks, but on the Hawk, the door locks and the ignition are the same key. The ignition switch had been changed, so I didn't have a key for the doors. What I did was bring the car to my locksmith and he was able to make a key for the doors, then he took the ignition switch apart and changed it so the switch key matched the doors. Voila! Problem solved. Its good that you got a set of keys from SI though, most locksmiths don't have the proper blanks and would have to order them.

I was lucky, a few months ago, an old Hardware store in Shreveport, LA was closing and I bought at 2 dozen ignition key blanks from them at their going out of business sale. Check some of the older hardware stores for the proper blanks.
              Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by wwogg View Post
                Thanks for all the help. I ordered a set of keys from SI. Just have to find a good locksmith locally to cut the keys.
                You may need to read Post #5 again. You said the Ignition Lock has been replaced, so if it was not a Original Type Studebaker Yale Lock in the Switch it would be aftermarket as Warren said and your new keys will not fit it and cannot be keyed to it.

Most of these aftermarket Chrysler Replacement Locks with a knurled Nut including the cheaper S.I. lock, have a Four Tumbler lock not 5 as a Yale, so they require a different Blank.

If this is true, you will need to revert back to Post #4 and #7, same, same.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X