Paint code for 1950 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Paint code for 1950 Commander

I waited anxiously for my production order to find the paint code. Now what the heck does it mean? Paint code P2291 SHEN. The car is currently pale green. I'm thinking the original was Shenendoah green, but not having much luck with my web searches.
    sigpicJames Lovelady--Raised in a '37 Dictator, Married in a '52 Commander, Honeymooned in a '49 Champion

Could be. You should be able to find some spot of original color; maybe under the sill plate, on the firewall, under the trunk. Perhaps clean off some undercoating. I assume the paint sticker is no longer glued to the bottom of the glove box.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Studebaker code for Shenandoah Green is WVO. Paint supplier codes are 8401 for baking enamel and N0741 for air dry enamel. The P codes were for the COMBINATION of body color and wheel color. P-2291 was Shenandoah Green body and Old Ivory wheels with Apple Green pin stripes.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

According to my paint chips, the Ditzler # is DQE-40947 paint code W-VO (DQE is Ditzler Quickest Enamel)
        Shenandoah Green

There is also a Rio Green, paint code W-VY DQE-40979-DAL (Ditz-Lac Automotive Lacquer) which appears to be more of a pale Green.

However, Green must have been popular! W-VC Aqua Green, DQE-40853-DAL

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Just wondering what you needed the paint code for anyway. Are you repainting the car the same color? Most shops now can color match without a written code, right? Just wondering. Anyway, would love to see pics of another Commander...
          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
          Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission
          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Thanks for the help, all of you. I wanted to know if the paint was original--it looks too good to be true. When I had it inspected, they called it a "20 footer"--looks fantastic from 20 feet, but a nitpicker can find pits in the chrome and paint up close. Upholstery is original and not half bad. Now if I can train it to get along with summer heat at 6000ft altitude, it'll be a great driver. Dad's first car after WWII was a '50 Commander, which I loved.
            sigpicJames Lovelady--Raised in a '37 Dictator, Married in a '52 Commander, Honeymooned in a '49 Champion

Comment

Beautiful car, sir. Love the color. Enjoy it!
              sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
              Regal Deluxe Trim
              Automatic transmission
              46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
              X