Thread: 1962 Champ - 7E7-122

1962 Champ - 7E7-122

This truck was assembled in late September 1961 (240th E7 off the line for '62) and delivered to Beach Motors in Temple, Texas. Although the P2 wide box was standard by 1962, this truck was equipped with a P1 narrow box. It came from the factory with only OD listed on the production order, but the dealer installed things like climitizer, radio, and lighter. From what I have been able to gather from the second owner, a good friend of my father and uncle, the truck was originally owned by a local newspaper company and used to haul papers between Temple and Waco, Texas.

The second owner bought the truck off Beach's used vehicle lot sometime in the summer of 1965 to use as farm truck on his cotton/corn farm. Over the next 23 years, it was used on almost a daily basis doing regular farm work in addition to being the initial driver training vehicle for the owner's three children. In the early 1970s, the 259 was getting a little tired so my father and uncle found a 289 out of a 1963 Cruiser, went through the motor (installing R1 cam) and replaced the original power plant. In the spring of 1988, the truck was side-swiped on a gravel road and pushed into a deep ditch. Truck was hauled back to the farm for retirement...

In 1991, the second owner hauled the truck to an empty lot in Rogers, Texas, with a for sale sign on it. A busy highway runs through the town, but everyone who stopped to look at the truck were not willing to pay the $1200 because of the amount of body work needed to get the truck back on the road. My uncle had recently finished restoring his 5E7-112 and knew this truck and its history (my father tells me it was used a number of times to tow the 1951 Starlight coupe to the local drag strip). He and the owner agreed on a price and the truck was his.

Other than body work, the rest of the vehicle was in good shape. It still had its original headliner and padded dash (still do) and the drive train was still in good shape. Working for the next year under a pecan tree and in a tin shed, my uncle did all the body work, something he taught himself to do. Although I could only visit occasionally, I helped out where I could. My uncle had a friend who worked for a local body shop, so he arranged to have the truck painted on a Saturday morning, paying the guy "off the clock." The truck came from the factory in Reef Blue and a local paint retailer tried to match the color.

After finishing the truck in 1993, it was a regular attendee of Central Texas Chapter meets all over Central Texas, as well as occasional used to haul a 16' livestock trailer to sell stock once a year. When my uncle passed in 2002, he wanted the truck to go to me and has been in my ownership ever since.

In 2005, my wife and I moved to the Lehigh Valley of Eastern Pennsylvania, but did not have a place to keep the truck. In 2007, we purchased a home that had an old garage the truck would fit in. So...during that summer we traveled back to Texas and I drove it back over two 13 hour days.

I am constantly trying to improve/update things, but I still like to use it for what it was built for: to work.

Truck is lot of fun and always has lots of people looking - my uncle was always embarrassed when people would talk about how nice the truck looked - he used to always say, "oh, its just an old farm truck..."
    Last edited by 62champ; 11-12-2016 at 07:36 PM.

President Member
    having lived in Temple back when, I was always pleased to see how many older vehicles were still on the road.....something we in Mass never could believe.......nice truck

President Member
    She's a cutie. You must be proud.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    That's a real sweetheart, Patrick; very nice that you know the whole history, and that it has survived so well.

The P1 box on the long wheelbase is really nice; 'probably the best "Champ" combination there is, IMHO.

Small World: My 1964 Daytona Wagonaire was also sold new by Beach Motors in Temple TX. Who knows, the two might have been on the premises at the same time, one way or another, if the truck was in for service while the wagon was in stock or some such. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Patrick
    Where's the '62 Texas Farm Truck tag?
    Rob in PA.

Silver Hawk Member

Thumbs up Thanks...

for posting.
    Brings back memories of my 1960 5E7 Champ (also light blue) and was my daily driver back in the early 1980's. Like Bob P. I also like the look of the 8' P1 boxes (probably why I still have one).
    Mark Hayden
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    '66 Commander

Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by stude1964 View Post
    Patrick
    Where's the '62 Texas Farm Truck tag?
    Rob in PA.
    Ask and ye shall receive...and I hope it looks familiar.. And that reminds me - anyone who has a '62 Studebaker truck in PA - I have a free license plate for you!

Last edited by 62champ; 08-26-2013 at 07:48 AM.

President Member
    What a fine looking truck. Your uncle did well and you deserve a big pat on the back too for carrying on it's family heritage. Good seeing it's still doing what it does best!!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Truck is now at home in the Bluegrass region of Kentucky - couple shots of it on the driveway...