Englewood Cliffs,NJ Stude Dealership/Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Englewood Cliffs,NJ Stude Dealership/Building

Anyone have info or pics of the dealership or building identified on my Dad's Avanti invoice as Stude. Auto Sales Corp.,190 Sylvan Ave., Englewood Cliffs, NJ. I just received some new info from the SNM about delivery of my Dad's R 5636 Avanti. It also shows that it "must arrive no later than Friday Jan. 10th". That would be Jan. of '64. What would the significance of that date be? Any ideas ,pics would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Rob in PA.

To me, the date may be a requirement to meet the New York Auto Show date. NY Auto Show Studebakers were delivered to NJ.
    His Avanti was built in December 1963.
    That Avanti falls about half way between two of the nine R3 Avantis.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The N.Y. Auto Show was held in early April 1964 which was long after the South Bend closing so it would never had been considered for that show. The N.J. address given by stude1964 was the Studebaker Zone office address and the car was earmarked for Byers Burlingame Studebaker president. It was not sold to a retail buyer until Sept 1965. I believe that was Royal Victor of L.I. New York.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Yes it was sold to a "Royall Victor" as I believe they left out an L in his first name. I believe he was a prominent lawyer for Stude & MB back in the day. I saw that the NY Auto was in April so why the immediacy of the Jan. date? Is the building still extant?
        Rob in PA.

Comment

I put that address in google maps & came up with a street view picture of a red brick building with a prominent 190 on it.

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
            Yes it was sold to a "Royall Victor" as I believe they left out an L in his first name. I believe he was a prominent lawyer for Stude & MB back in the day.
            Englewood Cliffs has been Mercedes Benz's US head office for decades.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X