Chevrolet Engines used in the Avanti II From 1966 to 1983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevrolet Engines used in the Avanti II From 1966 to 1983

Recently I was asked, "What was the top speed of the Avanti II?" I was kind of surprised by the question because I never thought of the Avanti II as ever being raced. Were they legal for competitions? What were the GM engines used in the Avanti II besides the Chevrolet 327 cu in 300 bhp? And were Avanti IIs ever raced in competition?

Steve Blake conducted a racing effort but that involved only two cars to the best of my knowledge...and those cars were not on stock chassis. If there were any other II's raced it was by private owners. Racing was definitely not the image and market segment Nate Altman was interested in.

Avanti II's used the 327, 350, 400 and 305 small block Chevy engines of various horsepower, torque and transmission combinations depending on the model year, emissions regulations and cost/availability.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 08-15-2013, 04:56 PM.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Up until Avanti wimped out with the 305", the correct answer is:

"About the same top speed as the base engine Corvette of the same year."

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Up until Avanti wimped out with the 305", the correct answer is:

"About the same top speed as the base engine Corvette of the same year."

jack vines
        Hehe,
        Jack said they wimped out.

Dean.

Sorry, I must agree.

Comment

Seems to me that if Nate Altman's Avanti II had comparable Corvette engines then Altman missed out on a mighty big potential to sell his cars, especially with the performance legacy of the Studebaker Avanti to support that effort.

Comment

Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
            Seems to me that if Nate Altman's Avanti II had comparable Corvette engines then Altman missed out on a mighty big potential to sell his cars, especially with the performance legacy of the Studebaker Avanti to support that effort.

Nate used the performance legacy of the Studebaker Avanti in early Avanti II ad brochures but it really wasn't the market he wanted to reach. Avanti Motors was a very conservatively run operation under the Altmans and getting involved in a racing effort or that market was out of character with his vision. Steve Blake tried the racing angle and, while it raised the profile some, it drained the company of badly needed capital.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

In the Altman era, Avanti was more about making a luxury GT car than a all out performance car. They knew what the car was...and who would be buying them...and sold them accordingly. By the early 70s (when the "can't stop or turn" /straight line speed period of muscle cars had passed) many performance-oriented buyers would not have bought a car with a 1953-era frame, no matter how large the engine.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

That's why I like driving my Studes. I like that old time feel. Feels a bit like the 64 Caddy I once owned [QUOTE=JBO many performance-oriented buyers would not have bought a car with a 1953-era frame, no matter how large the engine.[/QUOTE]
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                  Hehe,
                  Jack said they wimped out.

Dean.

Sorry, I must agree.
                  Funny, We talk about the 305 R3 Stude V8 and get all excited.....but the good old 305 Chevy engine...an EXCELLENT all around engine by the way, is a source of amusement.....Oh well!!!!

Comment

SN-60, there's quite a few ponies separating those two same sized engines, as well as two very different purposes for those two engines. Its a big time comparison of apples and oranges.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                      SN-60, there's quite a few ponies separating those two same sized engines, as well as two very different purposes for those two engines. Its a big time comparison of apples and oranges.
                      I just don't like to see a good engine trashed.....And I understand that they DO make performance parts for Chevrolet V8 engines...True?

Comment

....to add to that, funny how they swoon over the GM 305, but never mention that GM had an emissions controlled 305. But if you like pedaling onto an interstate, and having some seriously emissions controlled, low compression heads, on an 80's engine with equally as much emissions controls on it, have at it. I found the engine to be a real dog in our '85 Blazer. Accelerate to freeway speed in that thing with its 305, turbo 350, and its 3.08 with a fully loaded car trailer in tow, and you had better luck pedaling faster on a Huffy! After a few years with that truck, and we went to Ford, there's few engines I'm not willing to use and would serve better as a doorstop, and that's one of them, but that's just me .........
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                          ....to add to that, funny how they swoon over the GM 305, but never mention that GM had an emissions controlled 305. But if you like pedaling onto an interstate, and having some seriously emissions controlled, low compression heads, on an 80's engine with equally as much emissions controls on it, have at it. I found the engine to be a real dog in our '85 Blazer. Accelerate to freeway speed in that thing with its 305, turbo 350, and its 3.08 with a fully loaded car trailer in tow, and you had better luck pedaling faster on a Huffy! After a few years with that truck, and we went to Ford, there's few engines I'm not willing to use and would serve better as a doorstop, and that's one of them, but that's just me .........
                          FORDS??? In the immortal words of J.J....If there's a s***box to be built....Ford will build it!

Comment

FORDS??? In the immortal words of J.J....If there's a s***box to be built....Ford will build it!

Yeah, after two K body Blazers that rusted out months after purchase, one with a 305 that couldn't get itself out of its own way, and an '85 Oldsmobile with the cheapest version of the Grand National's Buick V6 in it, and all three cars having 2-3 replacement or rebuilt engines that were needed sometime while we had them, I sarcastically have no idea why we finally switched to the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products with their 5.0, 5.4, and 4.6L engines! I guess we had, had enough of rebuilding our commuter car's engines over a week or weekend so we could make our 80 mile round trip commute to work on Monday, and just wanted to get in and go! But if that didn't sell it, the 25+ mpg economy in those so called, big ol' "s***boxes" with 6 people and a trunk full of luggage probably did!
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              I just don't like to see a good engine trashed.....And I understand that they DO make performance parts for Chevrolet V8 engines...True?
                              True

The 305's only suffer because it has the same stroke as the 350 but a smaller bore. So over all, with the cost to build the same, why not get the extra cubes for the same money. That said, I built a late 70's 305 with a decent Weiand cam, intake, a Mallory dual point dissy and the bigger valve heads for my 39 Ford coupe in the mid-80's.

With a reasonably light car and with the emissions crud gone, it would remind one of the early SBC's that just loved to sing as they climbed the rev band. It was just like the old days with the quick little devil bringing back the good memories.

They just never got out of emissions trim and were second fiddle to their bigger brother 350 but not deserving the reputation they got. They can be made to run but in the era of bigger inches they are still the 350's little brother.

Just the wrong place at the wrong time, Bob
                              Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X