4x4 Trucks How Many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Trucks How Many?

I've always wanted a Studebaker 4x4 but there does not seem to be many around and when one comes up I'm not in a position to buy one. What I would like to know is if there are some numbers around of how many were built and in what configuration? Any information would be helpful.

Also is it possible to reproduce one with parts from other trucks that used NAPCO systems? What are the differences from the two wheel drive and 4xx4 Studebakers. Thanks, Len.

You just missed out on this '59 from Wyoming:

studelark is keeping a 4X4 registry, and I would guess you have more toes and fingers than trucks listed (but just a guess) There are people who are far more knowledgeable than I as far a differences go...
    Last edited by 62champ; 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I have a 62 one ton with an aftermarket dump bed on it. I tried to buy the one posted above big was a bit late. A forum member bought it though. What a great find. My signature list is incorrect I traded the 58 half ton 4X4 for the 62.
      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
        I tried to buy the one posted above big was a bit late. A forum member bought it though. What a great find.
        Some none Studebaker people would balk at paying $4000 for that 4X4, but those of us in the fold know that even though it needed work it was worth that amount of money. I mean even the tail gate looked pretty nice...

Comment

So, that one, listed on the forth of this month, two days ago, has already been sold?

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
            So, that one, listed on the forth of this month, two days ago, has already been sold?
            Yep, it was posted yesterday on the Studebaker truck talk page it was already sold...

Comment

Fred Fox had an article in TW a number of years ago that included an estimate of total Stude 4WD truck production. I don't have my copies handy, so can't check to see which issue. The Stude truck history on the main SDC web site includes exact numbers of 4WD truck production for every year except the 1958 3E models. During that year, the company did not separately account for 4WD truck production, so the only way to do it is to go through all 1958 truck production orders, one at a time.

Skip Lackie

Comment

There were 155 four wheel drive trucks made for the 1959 model year. This includes 139 that were equipped with a pickup bed. All came with a 4-speed transmission. Only eight of these were for export, unlike the Packard four wheel drive pickups that were all for export. Four wheel drive models can be identified (other than looking at them) by a "D" suffix to the model number.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This looks to be a 3/4 ton,very rare,only 20 were made.I have the the first one built and I have all the production records for all the 4wd trucks.I wish I had the serial # for it.I do know of three other survivors.
                  36 Dictator cpe
                  36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
                  37 Coupe express R-2
                  50 Champion convert
                  54 champion cpe
                  59 3/4 p/up 4wd
                  63 Custom R-2
                  63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
                  63 Avanti R-2
                  63 Avant1 R-2
                  64 Commander R-1
                  64 Challenger R-3
                  58 Packard hawk
                  64 Champ
                  2-63 Wagonaire's
                  62 E40 Transtar
                  55 3/4 T pickup
                  64 Daytona
                  Brand X :
                  70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

One day all things will line up and I will have one for myself. In the mean time does any one know if one can be made to be close to original spec but by putting it together myself. If I was to acquire a NAPCO truck of another make for parts etc...?

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                      I've always wanted a Studebaker 4x4 but there does not seem to be many around and when one comes up I'm not in a position to buy one. What I would like to know is if there are some numbers around of how many were built and in what configuration? Any information would be helpful.

Also is it possible to reproduce one with parts from other trucks that used NAPCO systems? What are the differences from the two wheel drive and 4xx4 Studebakers. Thanks, Len.
                      I drove this one home in 1981 (Burlington, VT to Fairfax, VA). It is a one-of-a-kind in that it is a 1960 truck built in 1961 for a dealer who wanted the 245 cid six instead of a V-8. V-8s weren't available in '61 so Studebaker built him a '60. Being a frugal Yankee the dealer bought it as a one-ton cab and chassis then built a wooden tool box which he mounted behind the cab. Then he put a used International pickup bed behind that and put a wrecker crane in that. Just to show how fat, dumb and happy I was in those days I drove it 300+ miles, overnight, a little Virginia temporary transit permit in the back window, buying gas at every other rest stop getting a solid eight miles per gallon. This truck had a 5.19 rear end with a four-speed truck tranny. Needless to say I didn't pass too many people enroute. I had no problems at all on the road. Well, there was one. I knew nothing about wreckers and I didn't know that you had to secure the hook by taking up any slack in the cable. Somewhere along the way the hook and excess cable bounced out of the truck and burned off on the highway leaving me a frayed cable stub by the time I got home.
                      The truck was geared so low that in low range 4wd I could pop the clutch in high gear at an idle and the truck would just walk away with no bucking or hesitation. It was also a great winter starter. One winter we had a minus 13 degree day. I went down to the barn, got in the truck, pressed the accelerator once and turned the key. It started on the second revolution (hadn't been run for several weeks).
                      I used it around home hauling firewood, pulling stumps and such for a few years then sold the truck to George Hamlin who restored it and put a Holmes wrecker bed on it. It was written up several years ago in Turning Wheels.
                      Attached Files
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

There was a restored 4X4 at a junkyard near me-not in the yard but owned by the guy. I hope to get down there soon to get some pics. Some of you may know Peter Grave as a Packard buff but he's had a lot of Studes over the years. His place is in Ottsville.PA. about 40 minutes North of Phila. There also used to be a 1 ton 4X4 wrecker used at a junkyard near Stroudsburg,PA. off Rt. 447. If I recall the name was Herm Seebaum. Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by studebakersteve View Post
                          This looks to be a 3/4 ton,very rare,only 20 were made.I have the the first one built and I have all the production records for all the 4wd trucks.I wish I had the serial # for it.I do know of three other survivors.

Since it appears to be all original and black, I believe it's the truck out of Alliance, NE; S/N E12D-4045.

Comment

Originally posted by studebakersteve View Post
                            I was under the impression that there were 32 3/4 ton 1959 four wheel drive trucks made. Now if you narrow that down to domestic V-8, you get 20.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Guys!
                              4 x 4 S 1959 3/4 tons

32 total 9 6Cyls only 5 came w/ truck bed! 23 V-8 S 18 Came W/ Beds Bill Fowler

Comment

Working...
                              X