Opinion on this 53 as a first studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on this 53 as a first studebaker

many of you know i am looking for my first studebaker and i am thinking of this as one of my options what do you think? the seller has almost no info on the car take a look and tell me what you think.

Ain't no virgin. Newer paint,seating material, alternator. I'd have to see it in person or have some revealing photos of it's condition. Frame, hog troughs and such. 20 foot away pictures don't help the seller or buyer. Least not a prospect buyer. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by STUDEMAC View Post
      many of you know i am looking for my first studebaker and i am thinking of this as one of my options what do you think? the seller has almost no info on the car take a look and tell me what you think.
      WOW! 1953 Commander Starliner. For a first Stude (or if it was your 15th for that matter) you won't get any better than this one. But, it aint gonna be cheap.
      Other than being nosed & decked and a 12 volt conversion, it looks to be unmolested.
      Can you tell I have a thing for '53 Commander HT's?
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I agree with Jerry .......looks not too bad but I know your on a budget and I bet it'll go much higher
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Being a local car from Lima, Ohio is a little scary, (Or at least it has been there for the past 37 years.) I like the seller's honest, straightforward ad. If, as a first car, you are looking for a project so you can climb a learning curve this may be a good candidate.

OTOH, if you are looking for something to just drive and enjoy, this one's gonna need a lot of work to wake it up, after the 37 year sleep. That is speaking only of mechanicals. Then, depending on your standards or what you wanted to make of the car, i.e. show car or driver, the seller has already said up front, its gonna need a lot.

About 10 years ago, I paid $2500 for a nice, complete, 53 coupe, that looked as nice as that one (20 footer), but had been sitting several decades. I never turned a bolt on it, and sold it to a guy in Texas a couple of years later. After looking it over closely, it was more than I was wiling to get into. This car looks to be a similar situation.
          Like I said, it just depends on what you are looking to get into for a first Stude.

Comment

The idea of a car where there is admitedly bodno used "thrroughout" and some frame issues is a bit scary. If you choose this one remember thee will be a lot of body work needed to make it right.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              The idea of a car where there is admitedly bodno used "thrroughout" and some frame issues is a bit scary. If you choose this one remember thee will be a lot of body work needed to make it right.
              Yep. I'd want more details on the, "frame issues" too, before seriously considering purchase.

Comment

Due diligence would be a careful inspection by a knowledgeable person. The seller's honest description tells you it will need some work. It is a pretty one though for sure.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

The worst combination of words you can hear about a Studebaker is: Bondo throughout, Frame repair needed and ran when parked.

While it is a great looking car, it needs to be gone over quite well as rust damage can start internally long before it is found externally and in this one it started a long time ago.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, Mine looked a lot worse when I bought it, but proceed with great caution and go into it with your eyes open. If you can handle the issues it could be a nice buy on a really pretty car.

Bob

Comment

The seller seems to be honest and in my opinion it looks to be much better then a "parts car" as mentioned. I also think "bondo throughout" is much better then "rust holes throughout". My only concern is the frame issues, this can be an easy repair with a welder or an expensive project if the damage is severe. For the price this could be a great driver.

Comment

Yes, I like the looks of this Stude too,....but I'd like to see some pics of the frame. A break in the frame around a front spring pocket is one thing....a really rotted frame is something else. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                        WOW! 1953 Commander Starliner. For a first Stude (or if it was your 15th for that matter) you won't get any better than this one. But, it aint gonna be cheap.
                        Other than being nosed & decked and a 12 volt conversion, it looks to be unmolested.
                        Can you tell I have a thing for '53 Commander HT's?
                        Nosed and decked is a matter of taste (I like it). The 12V electrical system can only be considered a major upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          Nosed and decked is a matter of taste (I like it).
                          Me too, but I always go a step farther and remove the latch knob too.
                          Attached Files
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I have been messing with 53/54 studebakers since the early 60s. The best advice I can offer is to find one already done. your bank account, your marriage, and your knuckles will be way better off.
                            ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Originally posted by ed ellis View Post
                              I have been messing with 53/54 studebakers since the early 60s. The best advice I can offer is to find one already done. your bank account, your marriage, and your knuckles will be way better off.
                              BTW, what ever happened to the one that the body shop screwed up ? Did you get paid ?
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X