(7/22/2013) New Hampshire Avanti Destroyed In Garage Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (7/22/2013) New Hampshire Avanti Destroyed In Garage Fire

(snippet copy....See link for complete article)

July 22. 2013 9:33PM

Antique car destroyed in Claremont garage fire
    By MEGHAN PIERCE

Union Leader Correspondent

CLAREMONT

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

This fire could have happened for many different reasons,.....but the Avantis elevated fuel tank always caused me some concern when these cars are parked for a time inside a garage.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      This fire could have happened for many different reasons,.....but the Avantis elevated fuel tank always caused me some concern when these cars are parked for a time inside a garage.
      Might a battery cut-off switch have avoided this disaster? Who knows?

I know some folks who go "nah" when I've mentioned how cheap they are to buy and easy to use. I don't understand it.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

A garden hose is not exactly the tool of choice for dealing with a car fire. Might take too long to deploy, for one thing, and water is of little or no use in the case of a flammable liquids fire. This guy should have had dry-chemical fire extinguisher on hand, I have several of those, and also a 2.5 gallon pressurized water extinguisher that I charge up and have handy whenever doing welding or using the burn barrel.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

A solenoid fuel shutoff at the tank region is the way to go.

Comment

That Avanti owner is neither in my AOAI Roster nor my SDC Roster.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
              A solenoid fuel shutoff at the tank region is the way to go.
              I agree totally, but remember that unless it screws directly into the tank bottom fitting, you have not gotten rid of the most likely culprit, the short piece of fuel hose that exits the tank. So unless you are changing to something better then you are only lessening the potential.

That's why I've chosen to use stainless steel reinforced fuel injection grade hose to plumb the lines. Then adding the shutoff.

Bob

Comment

As a active member of our local fire dept, I have seen this happen many times.
                Most recently a Ford Model T Huckster. Breaks my heart when I remember how many antique and collector cars I have seen gone up in flames. If folks would only disconnect the battery when they park their cars in a garage for any time period.
                Also be careful storing gasoline and oily rags!
                Last edited by 57pack; 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

He joined the AOAI since your roster was printed and is a current member of the Avanti Owners Association.
                  Lew Schucart
                  Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

What was his car's Chassis #?
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Gee, I also own a '63 Avanti, and I didn't realize I owned an "antique car"! I thought it was an almost new sports vehicle, or at the most, a collector car or classic car. But, "antique"??? (Since I'm about twice as old as the Avanti, I guess you know what that makes ME!)
                      Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                        (Since I'm about twice as old as the Avanti, I guess you know what that makes ME!)

Yup!! 100 years old and to think you don't write like you are over 85. Hopefully working on Studebakers will let me do as well.

Bob

Comment

I don't recall how many Avantis David Walker lost in his tragic fire, but I suspect that this year has been one of the worst losses for the limited production in a long time.

Let's be careful out there.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                            Gee, I also own a '63 Avanti, and I didn't realize I owned an "antique car"! I thought it was an almost new sports vehicle, or at the most, a collector car or classic car. But, "antique"??? (Since I'm about twice as old as the Avanti, I guess you know what that makes ME!)
                            Only 4% of all produced Avantis are NOT now antiques (1989-2007).

That makes you about 100 (about twice as old as a 1963).
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

FYI

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                              A garden hose is not exactly the tool of choice for dealing with a car fire. Might take too long to deploy, for one thing, and water is of little or no use in the case of a flammable liquids fire. This guy should have had dry-chemical fire extinguisher on hand, I have several of those, and also a 2.5 gallon pressurized water extinguisher that I charge up and have handy whenever doing welding or using the burn barrel.

I am the Guy!
                              I did in fact have an extinguisher and it did in fact not work.
                              The garden hose was my second choice and as stated, did not work very well.
                              Avanti was R4414.
                              Hindsight is a great teacher!

Comment

Working...
                              X