engine and trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine and trans

I known this might be a sore subject but I want to take out the original 289 and put something bigger in can anybody tell me what fits best big block or small Chevy or Ford. And what tranny. Thanks

Originally posted by 53 custom View Post
    I known this might be a sore subject but I want to take out the original 289 and put something bigger in can anybody tell me what fits best big block or small Chevy or Ford. And what tranny. Thanks
    If you want to stay vintage, maybe a 1955/56 Packard 352 or 374, with a 700R behind it. The 352 performs about like a standard GM 350.

Comment

Bigger is ALWAYS better

Comment

53 custom -

Why are you asking this ?
        This is "your" car, I assume "you" will be driving it. I'd guess it's "you" who should be making this type of decision.

As far as big, Chrysler hemi's have meen installed into 53 to 55 Studes. There was even a guy who put a 392 hemi into a Lark without cutting anything any sheet metal. There'a a 53 running around here (SoCal) with an all aluminum 500inch modern, drag race style Hemi between the fenders...so yea, most anything will work.

So...to answer your question, most any V-8 will fit.
        A rear sump oil pan engine is the easiest to to fit.

Mike

Comment

Was just wondering what would fit with least mods needed. Well thanks for your time sorry I took up your time. I thought people who owned for a while would have some ideas.

Comment

Was just wondering what would fit with least mods needed. Well thanks for your time sorry I took up your time. I thought people who owned for a while would have some ideas.
            No need to apologize. That's what this NG is for. The reason I suggested a Packard V8 is cuz it has already been done with the 56J, so factory already provided the engineering, parts are fairly easy to come by, and they drive out very well.

Comment

Thanks for the information, I was thinking more modern just for hp I live in a hilly area the 289 does ok just looking for a little more get up and go.

Comment

I put a 383 in a 63 Champ when I was hauling RV's. Redrilled the bell housing to bolt the T85 to it. Milage went from 10 to 5 when towing. Went from 17 to 10 when returning home. Would get about a block further up the hill before shifting to second when pulling. Should have rebuilt the 289. Had a 350 in my 54 pick up. Took it out and put a Stude back in. One of my better decisions. Your car, your choice. Do what pleases you and have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the information, I was thinking more modern just for hp I live in a hilly area the 289 does ok just looking for a little more get up and go.
                  The 289 should have enough power unless it's really tired. You might consider changing the rear axle to a lower ratio if you don't drive a lot at high speeds, that's a LOT easier than a motor swap. A 3.54:1 is a decent compromise.

Comment

The cheapest would be a small block chevy. But it's been done to death. If you need just a bit more power, how about supercharging the Stude engine?
                    Parts are out there, and it would be much cheaper than , say, an ls engine with all the accompanying computer, and wiring.
                    Perhaps you just need the right gearing, a 289 should not have any trouble going up any hill.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I find even my 259 is pretty peppy if it's timed right and the advance curve is set properly. 200 HP from a 289 is pretty easy to do.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                        I find even my 259 is pretty peppy if it's timed right and the advance curve is set properly. 200 HP from a 289 is pretty easy to do.
                        I agree. I have a 259 in my Champ and take a 6% grade to work every day. The 259 goes right up that hill in overdrive without breaking a sweat. A 289 should do much better than that. Sounds like yours might be tired. Putting a new mill in WOULD have the advantage of being fresh, computer assisted, and probably run better on modern crappy gas.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

53; Since 1958 I have had 11 different engines in my 53K. Made templates for my flame cutter for mounts, still have them all. Found the early 289 Fords to be the best cost wise. Olds second, if you can afford them. Caddy 3rd. All of the engines I put in were because they were laying around or someone gave me a good deal on one. Still prefer the 289 or 232 Stude, though. Here is a pic of a 511 CI Chrysler. in a 53K

Comment

Maybe you should think about your rear end ratio, rather than the horsepower? Just a thought. You said the hills were somewhat of a problem. You can get the torque with more cubes. But you can get the same results with looking at ratios. If low end is needed and not a lot of distance travel is intended, consider this.
                            But, what will work in your engine compartment, for a conversion is pretty much "anything". The "cookie cutter" sbc is easy, and probably one of the easiest. I came home from school, on Friday afternoon with a six in one of the 53 coups I had ( one weekend a long time ago) and went back Monday morning with a 327 sbc in it.

Comment

Were can I find a super charger for the stude??? Around what $$$$ thanks the engine has 86,000 plus I wouldn't know how to go from 6v to 12 v. Thanks
                              Last edited by 53 custom; 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM. Reason: miles

Comment

Working...
                              X