No announcement yet.

engine and trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything more modern, engine wise, will be 12V. The 12v conversion guide is available through SDC vendors and advertised in Turning Wheels. Putting a Paxton on your existing engine without upgrades would be a waste. You need the right pistons, heads, compression ratio.... a major rebuild, but what a way to go!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Pssst. That 52 in your avatar is a nice car. Can you show us some pictures of the car with the 289?

Comment

It's titled a 53 but It's a late 52, what engine should be in this one. New to Studebakers???

Comment

That's what got me confused, all of our suggestions have been about installing different Engines in a 1953 Starliner Hardtop or a '53 Starlight Coupe (C or K), but what's with the picture of a lowered 1952 4 Door Sedan?

Just a 2nd. Car or what?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It came with a 232 if it was a V8 car to start with. 3 spd OD or automatic? It shouldn't be titled as a 53. Same basic block. Any Stude V8 should bolt right in.

Comment

take a look at my 1953 stude on craigs list..454 chev, 700r4 trans, 9" ford rear..

any questions post them I will reply,,53 stude mod

Comment

Now that's a 53! and again, what a way to go!

Comment

Oops, it must be a 232 v8 it's automatic now I know it's a sedan.ok I think I am going with a blown 496 Chevy. Thanks

Comment

LOL. I'd ride in it. It's either a Commander or Land cruiser. A tired 232 auto would need some help going up hills. A fresh 289 properly tuned would be a beast by comparison and an easy install. You're on the right forum if you want some help. Welcome.

Comment

Commander I know that much. What rear should be in it a Dana????
                      Last edited by 53 custom; 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM. Reason: what rear

Comment

A Commander should have a Dana 44. Could be a 23/27, but they swap out easily and 44s are still being used (Jeep?) and are plentiful..

Comment

Originally posted by 53 custom View Post
                          Oops, it must be a 232 v8 it's automatic now I know it's a sedan.ok I think I am going with a blown 496 Chevy. Thanks
                          That is just opposite of the right thing to do IMHO. A 232 Automatic is the slowest Studebaker V8 ever built, so you would have a night and day improvement if you actually installed a '63 or '64 Standard 289 or a Avanti R1 high performance 289 4 Brl. or a bigger kick in the pants with a R2 Avanti Supercharged 289 Engine.
                          This is 225, 240 or 290 HP vs your current 120 HP 2 Brl. V8.

Absolutely no need to go bigger than 289 cubes to get up a few hills and have lots of fun!

A big advantage to a more powerful Stude. V8 swap would be that it is ALL bolt in with the right stock parts.
                          All suggestions have been all about a long low Sports Coupe type body with a quite long front end, the '51 & '52 Bodies have a very short compact Engine compartment making big engines not made to fit there quite a challenge.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

""Was just wondering what would fit with least mods needed. Well thanks for your time sorry I took up your time. I thought people who owned for a while would have some ideas.""

I assume your comment noted above was ment for me, since I was of only two that answered your question above your comment.
                            So...why the hostility ? I answered your question with both a question AND and answer..!
                            I need to ask again...why would you let someone "else" dictate what engine YOU should use in "your" car ?

And to reanswer...you asked about "big"...engines. I answered with the largest engines I've seen in 53/55 Studebakers. So again, what did I do to upset you..?

Maybe a more clearified answer maybe -
                            What I've seen in 53/55 Studes -
                            1. small block Chevys (easy)
                            2. big block chevys (not too hard)
                            3. W-block type Chevy (easy)
                            4. small block Ford (some difficulty)
                            5. big block Ford (more difficulty)
                            6. small Chrysler (some difficulty)
                            7. bigger Chrysler (more difficulty)
                            8. biggest Chrysler (hemi) (not too hard)
                            9. LS series Chevy engine (some difficulty)
                            10. Modern Chrysler Hemi (some difficulty)
                            11. I even "heard" of a guy installing some sort of Toyota engine...but that doesn't count, because it isn't "big".

So, would this be considered a better answer ?

But again, with just a little measuring, one could figure that most any automotive engine would fit, it's a huge opening. Just depends on your skill level, desire to make motor mounts and or change front sump engines into rear sump engines..!

Mike

Comment

Not letting anyone tell me what to put in MY car, I asked about difficulty levels on installing the different engines. But thanks

Comment

Wouldn't have a clue what will actually fit in a '52 sedan, but the Studebaker 232" V8 is huge outside for being so tiny inside. Where it will fit, most any rear sump OHV8 will fit. Trying to list what hasn't been swapped into a '53-64 C/K would be shorter than listing what has. I've never actually seen one with a Buick or a Pontiac, but it's probably been done. The supercharged BBC is a pretty common swap.

jack vines
                                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                                X