Thread: engine and trans

Question engine and trans

I known this might be a sore subject but I want to take out the original 289 and put something bigger in can anybody tell me what fits best big block or small Chevy or Ford. And what tranny. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 53 custom View Post
    I known this might be a sore subject but I want to take out the original 289 and put something bigger in can anybody tell me what fits best big block or small Chevy or Ford. And what tranny. Thanks
    If you want to stay vintage, maybe a 1955/56 Packard 352 or 374, with a 700R behind it. The 352 performs about like a standard GM 350.

President Member
    53 custom -

Why are you asking this ?
    This is "your" car, I assume "you" will be driving it. I'd guess it's "you" who should be making this type of decision.

As far as big, Chrysler hemi's have meen installed into 53 to 55 Studes. There was even a guy who put a 392 hemi into a Lark without cutting anything any sheet metal. There'a a 53 running around here (SoCal) with an all aluminum 500inch modern, drag race style Hemi between the fenders...so yea, most anything will work.

So...to answer your question, most any V-8 will fit.
    A rear sump oil pan engine is the easiest to to fit.

Mike

Was just wondering what would fit with least mods needed. Well thanks for your time sorry I took up your time. I thought people who owned for a while would have some ideas.

Was just wondering what would fit with least mods needed. Well thanks for your time sorry I took up your time. I thought people who owned for a while would have some ideas.
    No need to apologize. That's what this NG is for. The reason I suggested a Packard V8 is cuz it has already been done with the 56J, so factory already provided the engineering, parts are fairly easy to come by, and they drive out very well.

Thanks for the information, I was thinking more modern just for hp I live in a hilly area the 289 does ok just looking for a little more get up and go.

President Member
    I put a 383 in a 63 Champ when I was hauling RV's. Redrilled the bell housing to bolt the T85 to it. Milage went from 10 to 5 when towing. Went from 17 to 10 when returning home. Would get about a block further up the hill before shifting to second when pulling. Should have rebuilt the 289. Had a 350 in my 54 pick up. Took it out and put a Stude back in. One of my better decisions. Your car, your choice. Do what pleases you and have fun.

Thanks for the information, I was thinking more modern just for hp I live in a hilly area the 289 does ok just looking for a little more get up and go.
    The 289 should have enough power unless it's really tired. You might consider changing the rear axle to a lower ratio if you don't drive a lot at high speeds, that's a LOT easier than a motor swap. A 3.54:1 is a decent compromise.

The cheapest would be a small block chevy. But it's been done to death. If you need just a bit more power, how about supercharging the Stude engine?
    Parts are out there, and it would be much cheaper than , say, an ls engine with all the accompanying computer, and wiring.
    Perhaps you just need the right gearing, a 289 should not have any trouble going up any hill.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

I find even my 259 is pretty peppy if it's timed right and the advance curve is set properly. 200 HP from a 289 is pretty easy to do.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    I find even my 259 is pretty peppy if it's timed right and the advance curve is set properly. 200 HP from a 289 is pretty easy to do.
    I agree. I have a 259 in my Champ and take a 6% grade to work every day. The 259 goes right up that hill in overdrive without breaking a sweat. A 289 should do much better than that. Sounds like yours might be tired. Putting a new mill in WOULD have the advantage of being fresh, computer assisted, and probably run better on modern crappy gas.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

"Approximately 97 percent of all statistics are made up"
    Book of Useless Information

President Member
    53; Since 1958 I have had 11 different engines in my 53K. Made templates for my flame cutter for mounts, still have them all. Found the early 289 Fords to be the best cost wise. Olds second, if you can afford them. Caddy 3rd. All of the engines I put in were because they were laying around or someone gave me a good deal on one. Still prefer the 289 or 232 Stude, though. Here is a pic of a 511 CI Chrysler. in a 53K

Maybe you should think about your rear end ratio, rather than the horsepower? Just a thought. You said the hills were somewhat of a problem. You can get the torque with more cubes. But you can get the same results with looking at ratios. If low end is needed and not a lot of distance travel is intended, consider this.
    But, what will work in your engine compartment, for a conversion is pretty much "anything". The "cookie cutter" sbc is easy, and probably one of the easiest. I came home from school, on Friday afternoon with a six in one of the 53 coups I had ( one weekend a long time ago) and went back Monday morning with a 327 sbc in it.

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A DREAMER

Were can I find a super charger for the stude??? Around what $$$$ thanks the engine has 86,000 plus I wouldn't know how to go from 6v to 12 v. Thanks
    Last edited by 53 custom; 07-03-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: miles

Anything more modern, engine wise, will be 12V. The 12v conversion guide is available through SDC vendors and advertised in Turning Wheels. Putting a Paxton on your existing engine without upgrades would be a waste. You need the right pistons, heads, compression ratio.... a major rebuild, but what a way to go!

Pssst. That 52 in your avatar is a nice car. Can you show us some pictures of the car with the 289?

It's titled a 53 but It's a late 52, what engine should be in this one. New to Studebakers???

Golden Hawk Member
    That's what got me confused, all of our suggestions have been about installing different Engines in a 1953 Starliner Hardtop or a '53 Starlight Coupe (C or K), but what's with the picture of a lowered 1952 4 Door Sedan?

Just a 2nd. Car or what?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

It came with a 232 if it was a V8 car to start with. 3 spd OD or automatic? It shouldn't be titled as a 53. Same basic block. Any Stude V8 should bolt right in.

Commander Member
    take a look at my 1953 stude on craigs list..454 chev, 700r4 trans, 9" ford rear..
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3882993555.html

any questions post them I will reply,,53 stude mod

Now that's a 53! and again, what a way to go!

Oops, it must be a 232 v8 it's automatic now I know it's a sedan.ok I think I am going with a blown 496 Chevy. Thanks

LOL. I'd ride in it. It's either a Commander or Land cruiser. A tired 232 auto would need some help going up hills. A fresh 289 properly tuned would be a beast by comparison and an easy install. You're on the right forum if you want some help. Welcome.

Commander I know that much. What rear should be in it a Dana????
    Last edited by 53 custom; 07-03-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: what rear

A Commander should have a Dana 44. Could be a 23/27, but they swap out easily and 44s are still being used (Jeep?) and are plentiful..

Golden Hawk Member
    Oops, it must be a 232 v8 it's automatic now I know it's a sedan.ok I think I am going with a blown 496 Chevy. Thanks
    That is just opposite of the right thing to do IMHO. A 232 Automatic is the slowest Studebaker V8 ever built, so you would have a night and day improvement if you actually installed a '63 or '64 Standard 289 or a Avanti R1 high performance 289 4 Brl. or a bigger kick in the pants with a R2 Avanti Supercharged 289 Engine.
    This is 225, 240 or 290 HP vs your current 120 HP 2 Brl. V8.

Absolutely no need to go bigger than 289 cubes to get up a few hills and have lots of fun!

A big advantage to a more powerful Stude. V8 swap would be that it is ALL bolt in with the right stock parts.
    All suggestions have been all about a long low Sports Coupe type body with a quite long front end, the '51 & '52 Bodies have a very short compact Engine compartment making big engines not made to fit there quite a challenge.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    ""Was just wondering what would fit with least mods needed. Well thanks for your time sorry I took up your time. I thought people who owned for a while would have some ideas.""

I assume your comment noted above was ment for me, since I was of only two that answered your question above your comment.
    So...why the hostility ? I answered your question with both a question AND and answer..!
    I need to ask again...why would you let someone "else" dictate what engine YOU should use in "your" car ?

And to reanswer...you asked about "big"...engines. I answered with the largest engines I've seen in 53/55 Studebakers. So again, what did I do to upset you..?

Maybe a more clearified answer maybe -
    What I've seen in 53/55 Studes -
    1. small block Chevys (easy)
    2. big block chevys (not too hard)
    3. W-block type Chevy (easy)
    4. small block Ford (some difficulty)
    5. big block Ford (more difficulty)
    6. small Chrysler (some difficulty)
    7. bigger Chrysler (more difficulty)
    8. biggest Chrysler (hemi) (not too hard)
    9. LS series Chevy engine (some difficulty)
    10. Modern Chrysler Hemi (some difficulty)
    11. I even "heard" of a guy installing some sort of Toyota engine...but that doesn't count, because it isn't "big".

So, would this be considered a better answer ?

But again, with just a little measuring, one could figure that most any automotive engine would fit, it's a huge opening. Just depends on your skill level, desire to make motor mounts and or change front sump engines into rear sump engines..!

Mike

Not letting anyone tell me what to put in MY car, I asked about difficulty levels on installing the different engines. But thanks

Silver Hawk Member
    Wouldn't have a clue what will actually fit in a '52 sedan, but the Studebaker 232" V8 is huge outside for being so tiny inside. Where it will fit, most any rear sump OHV8 will fit. Trying to list what hasn't been swapped into a '53-64 C/K would be shorter than listing what has. I've never actually seen one with a Buick or a Pontiac, but it's probably been done. The supercharged BBC is a pretty common swap.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Cars made from '53 on are very similar. Small block Chevy's were original equipment in '65 & '66 models. With '52's, I don't know if any of them are easy. '52's have more in common with '51's. Nothing is going to bolt in except another Studebaker engine. I would probably try a small block Chevy and try matching the '65 mounts to the frame. It may fit, or you may have to modify. If a small block Chevy will fit, so will an LSx engine. 5.3L are cheap.

In any case, you're going to need a complete drive train. A transmission and a rear end to take the added horsepower. A 700-R4 or a 4L60 would work fine and give you overdrive. You could use a Dana 44 or look for a rear end approximately the width like a Ford 8.8" out of a Ranger or Explorer.

And at the end of the day, you need to convert the car to 12V. Even SBC's ran on 12V power to run the ignition system in the 50's.

Now let me address what others were saying and hopefully this will make some sense. You can switch the 232 to a 259/289 and still use the 6V ignition system. BUT, I'd still suggest changing out the rear end and transmission. There are adapter plates to install a GM overdrive transmission. Again, you can use a 700-R4 or a 4L60 (non-electric) trans. The rear is the same as well. A Dana 44 will bolt or use the rear end of your choice. The 259/289 will let you continue to use the 6V wiring you currently have.

And just a suggestion...Check your serial number to the title and make sure it matches. A lot of cars have the serial number removed and titled with something else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL (75*)

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)

President Member
    Mike; Forget the 348-409 W Chevs. The 2 center exhaust ports come out about 1/2" from the center of the steering box. The worst nightmare of an engine swap I have ever done.

With little work to it, you could double HP with an engine that externally identical to the one already in there. While your at it,switch to a late model Auto or a stude manual. It would be easy and quite cheap to do. It would be the way to go if you just want your car to be quick, if you wanted to go truly fast, it would be more cost effective to swap motors. Studes seem to respond well to boost, many were factory supercharged, and while supercharging can get spendy fast, a ratty turbo set up would be cheap and fast. That would just depend on good you would be at making the piping.
    1953 Starlight Coupe ( project)

I don't know I haven't thought of anything catchy yet , hey look a twinkie