'55 automatic stuck linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: '55 automatic stuck linkage

Got the old motor started, and away it went,,, by itself !!! Seems stuck in DRIVE. Disconnected column shifter linkage, . No help.
    Transmission shifter shaft is stuck or somehow jammed. Now what ? Is this a common problem ? Can I fix it under my shade tree with a BFH?
    Any suggestions are welcomed.

Wow!....That must have been scary!....I'd probably try taping the shift lever coming out of the trans VERY lightly with a hammer.....but if it remains frozen, the pan will probably have to come down as there may be an internal jam-up at the valve body....unusual problem I'd say. (Do this with engine off, of course) Good luck
    Last edited by SN-60; 06-16-2013, 08:31 PM. Reason: Added 'engine off' language'

Comment

I would have the rear jacked off the ground until you figure it out.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The detent Ball and lever must have come loose or jammed requiring as mentioned pan and valve body removal.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well if no one else says it----With one post---welcome to the forum UncleTom. I'm a newbie myself--these guys (and gals) are great help. OH what the heck is a BFH? Best friends help?

Comment

Big Freaking hammer?

Comment

Gotit ! Jacked up onto axle stands. Disconnected linkage and tried light hammer tapping which produced a dead peck peck sound, Lots of Hot air gun and pentrating oil, and soon the peck peck turned into ping ping. Using vice-grip pliers snapped on as a handle, a few back and forth jerks, and voila ! A shifter !

While its up on the stands, I'll pull the transmission pan and the rear axle pan to check for rusty water. I suspect this old wagon has been in the water.
              Thanks to all

Comment

Working...
              X