Hydro-Vac Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hydro-Vac Replacement

Well unfortunately my Speedy has been parked since the first of May due to the Hydro-Vac failing. And am now financially able to spend the money and get it ordered. Definitely going to be ordering the (2) short hoses that attach to the Hydro-Vac as well. What will the new Hydro-Vac come with from the Studebaker International website?

I helped a friend out move into his home this weekend, and got a few automotive things from his garage including a brand new Flex-a-Lite 17" fan and wandering if it will work on my 259ci? Hopefully, it seems lighter than the stock fan, and seems like it would keep the engine cooler.

Has anyone ever run this setup on there Studebaker before? Just curious!

Dylan
    I own a 1955 Studebaker President "Speedster", sat garaged for 20 years
    pulled it out in January of 2013, she is now a weekend driver around town.
    "Making many miles, and many smiles a long the way".

sigpic

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the brakes worked simply as non-power brakes if the Hydro-vac failed.

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

On some models, there ARE differences in the pedal ratio of a power vs non power brake car. Also depending on what has failed in the hy dro vac, it could result in no brakes.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Be sure to order the four copper crush washers from SI also. You will need two of each of the two sizes. You will have to call them and tell them what you want but may not need the part numbers. Other than that you can use the fittings from the old hydrovac.

Comment

If you buy the NEW hydrovac you will also need some plumbing fittings for the vacuum check valve. On the NEW hydrovac's the check valve sits too close to the fender skirt, so you have to make it as tight to the hydrovac as possible. You will also need 2 metric nuts to install the hydrovac onto the bracket.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Ok Thanks guys I will give them a call this morning, and get all the parts ordered. I measured the fan shroud and the flex-a-lite fan will replace the stock fan. I can't wait to see how it turns out, and if their is a huge difference with the cooling. Thanks again everyone!

Dylan

sigpic

Comment

I just installed the new hydrovac from SI on my speedster and it fit just fine without any additional fittings or different nuts. It appeared identical to the original unit or at least to the one on my car.
              Don't forget to send the old one back to SI to receive your $100 core charge back.

Comment

Anyone want to make a guess where these new Hydrovac units are made?

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                  <snip>

I helped a friend out move into his home this weekend, and got a few automotive things from his garage including a brand new Flex-a-Lite 17" fan and wandering if it will work on my 259ci? Hopefully, it seems lighter than the stock fan, and seems like it would keep the engine cooler.
                  Studebaker's have a unique bolt pattern and a big hole in the middle.. Make sure that it will bolt up before attempting..

Here is an odd 7 blade that is Studebaker friendly!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-31 17.45.01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1680261

Comment

Ed has a couple three people making them up in SB in a rented double wide very close to the big store. cheers jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                      Don't forget to send the old one back to SI to receive your $100 core charge back.
                      If I bought the brand new one I didn't have to send it first, but If I bought a rebuilt I would. Can I send it in and get $100 for the core no matter what I choose?

I called Studebaker International this morning with the new Hydro-Vac, two hoses, a new check valve my total approximately came to $466 dollars. After my heart skipped a beat I was polite and said Thank you for your time, I will not be able to order this at this time. lol I was very hopeful this morning but it's just not in the budget right now with me being a college student.

She asked me if I wanted a re-built one or a brand new one, I chose the brand new one not knowing the difference. What is the difference between the two? Can someone explain.

I want to be able to drive it and not worry about having failure in the brakes, I'm not being cheap when it comes to the braking system, I want to order a new check valve just to be safe, and all the other parts that play a major role in the brakes.

Dylan

sigpic

Comment

Might try these guys. They have been around for a long time and have pretty good reputation. There are many more out there but I don't know much about them. I had mine rebuilt about 20 years ago and still going strong.

Power Brake Booster Exchange rebuilds vacuum brake boosters and supplies hard-to-find booster parts. Find out more about our services online today.
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                          If I bought the brand new one I didn't have to send it first, but If I bought a rebuilt I would. Can I send it in and get $100 for the core no matter what I choose?

She asked me if I wanted a re-built one or a brand new one, I chose the brand new one not knowing the difference. What is the difference between the two? Can someone explain.

Dylan
                          Dylan,

NEW mean NEW and rebuilt means old and rebuilt. The NEW one's require no core or core charge. They have a check valve already installed on the unit on NOT inline with the vacuum hose as originally done. NEW requires you to use 2 metric nuts to bolt it to the bracket. Ed may give you a credit for the old core if you bought a new one. Ask him

Allen
                          1964 GT Hawk
                          PSMCDR 2014
                          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                          PSMCDR 2013
                          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Booster Dewey does a great job on Master Vacs but does not work on Hydro Vacs. I just had him do a Master Vac on my '64 wagon and was pleased with his work. He also answers questions over the phone. I believe Ed Strain does them. I've seen his ads in Hemmings.
                            Rob in PA.

Comment

Now that I think about it I am pretty sure Ed Strain did mine way back when.
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X