Hydro-Vac Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    Rebuilders Enterprises. Dat's who did mine. Soetimes rebuilt and remanufactured are used mistakenly for one another. Rebuilt is a unit that is totally taken apart and what components do not pass inspection at the time are replaced and thusly reassembled into a functioning unit". "Remanufactured is so that every moving part subject to wear/deterioration are reconditioned/replaced and all parts assembled into a new/sometimes better unit because of upgrade. No less than OEM specs. at least in our perfect world. cheers jimmijim

'

' into a functioning unit. "
    I am not a parts replacer. period.
    I was trying to point out that hydro-vacs are a wet booster. subject to the corrosion of contaminated dot 3 fluid. Hardly anyone flushes the system every year.
    Have you ever had a wheel cylinder apart and seen the aluminum pistons so corroded that you couldn't remove them with a hammer and punch? I have, same problem exists here.
    If metal is too far gone the part needs machining and sleeving that is more labor and parts costly than a replacement.
    You sent yours off to be rebuilt. Did you open it up and see the condition personally? Perhaps they replaced (oh my!)the front aluminum housing with a new one.
    I ain't cheeta! Cheers

'
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I was trying to point out that hydro-vacs are a wet booster. subject to the corrosion of contaminated dot 3 fluid. Hardly anyone flushes the system every year.
      Have you ever had a wheel cylinder apart and seen the aluminum pistons so corroded that you couldn't remove them with a hammer and punch? I have, same problem exists here.
      If metal is too far gone the part needs machining and sleeving that is more labor and parts costly than a replacement.
      You sent yours off to be rebuilt. Did you open it up and see the condition personally? Perhaps they replaced (oh my!)the front aluminum housing with a new one.
      I ain't cheeta! Cheers

Been there myself!!! My 55's master cylinder and passenger front wheel cylinder were in this state. Both parts were original to the car, and both were in bad shape from all those years of just sitting. In the course of rebuilding the whole braking system, I honed them out to remove the pits and stop the leaking, but in the end, they just ended up leaking even worse. There's a point of no return with this procedure. So the master cylinder was replaced with another from our stash, and the wheel cylinder was replaced with one from NAPA. Luckily, NAPA still has both parts for the car, but due to the age and corrosion, there came a point where there was no saving either without sending them out for resleeving, so I just replaced the master cylinder with a spare, and I bought a new wheel cylinder from our local FLAPS here instead, easy enough.
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

My bad

Heck Brad. I'm only 63 and been around Studes and other cars since tinkering from the age of 14. Got my start in bicycles in my pre teen yrs. Never seen a corroded brake cylinder that I didn't throw away. Guy at REBUILDERS ENTERPRISES assured me that if any machining of parts was necessary for a permformance as new result he would let me know. I trusted his word. Hope he didn't f!@# me.
        Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        I ain't cheeta! Cheers

'
        Last edited by jimmijim8; 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
        X