Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, Sleuths: Avanti Body Tag Mystery!

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avantict View Post
    I was able to purchase Nate Altmans Molded Fiber Glass Company correspondence file last year at South Bend last year. YES IT IS OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE FILE.
    It has many interesting tidbits which I hope to share in Avanti Magazine starting with issue #163. One piece is extremely intriguing its titled Molded Fiber Glass Body Company Bodies Received - Processing Paid.
    It lists the Date Rec'd - Invoice Number - Amount and most importantly Body Number.

The first transaction is Dated March 1, 1965 MFG Invoice 3620 for $200.00 covered Body RQ #4423 which became RQA 0003, Body RQ#4588 which became RQA 0002. Two bodies $100.00 a piece not a bad deal. There are 74 bodies listed purchased form March 1, 1965 -November 23, 1965. I have taken the list one step further and using factory build sheets translated which body became which production car. For the record MFG body RQ 4572 became RQA 0001.

There is on rhyme or reason as the body numbers assigned (as evidenced by RQA 0001 thru RQA 0003) are not sequential and no body numbers assigned were over RQ 5000.

More to come.
    Thanks, John; please do. Obviously, additional non-conjecture material would be welcome here!

(Please try to stay away from post-Studebaker Avantis, though; we've got enough questions just trying to unravel Studebaker Avantis!) BP

Speedster Member
    I think the topic and lack of historical records makes this a very difficult subject. I think all can agree it is extremely intriguing. I have been chasing Avanti information for a number of years as has most who try to tackle this subject. The upside is giant baby steps and information ultimately shows up to help in the quest. For example the Lamberti files to Dick Quinn and Nate Altmans MFG file to me. These files contain information not seen in years if ever. I for one admire the work of all who labor in this quest and share the information with the Studebaker National Museum. I remember a conversation with Asa Hall where I called him an "expert" he stopped me and said he was just "knowledgeable" there were no Studebaker experts just knowledgeable people.

So what do you make of the information I uncovered about Avanti Motors and MFG body connection?
    John Hull

Speedster Member
    Everything I've seen in the file so far indicates MFG just replaced Studebaker with Avanti Motor Corporation. The "systems" including body tags probably would have been the same. As a matter of fact there is correspondence from Nate referencing problems that Studebaker had with MFG bodies that were continuing on the bodies delivered to AMC. I believe the first 74 Avanti II's were in essence Studebaker bodies assembled,finished the same way with the same MFG systems. I don't believe you can separate the two when a great deal of commonality might exist. Just my two cents.
    John Hull

Just a gawl dang'd minute, did I loose my "Atta Boy" award in all this fallderall? I ain't no expert, just a guesser, but still, them "Atta Boy"s are hard to come by... Oh well, whogabra?
    Corley

I just re-checked, and my R5634 has body RQ 4430, which only means WHAT??? Yup! I think they just had a handful of numbers and plopped them on the cars at random.

President Member
    John,

This is very interesting, as it sounds like the body numbering system (and sequence) was just continued from Studebaker right to Avanti Motors. Does anyone have any idea if any of the bodies were "in process" when Studebaker shut down in December '63? In other words, were any of the bodies built (or started) with the intention of being utilzed by Studebaker? One last related question...were there any completed or in-process Avanti bodies in South Bend when Stude shut down?

As I mentioned, this is interesting stuff....and I am a truck and Lark guy!
    Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    \'63 R2 Lark (the moneypit-mobile)

Quote Originally Posted by 2R2 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea if any of the bodies were "in process" when Studebaker shut down in December '63? In other words, were any of the bodies built (or started) with the intention of being utilzed by Studebaker? One last related question...were there any completed or in-process Avanti bodies in South Bend when Stude shut down?
    Post #4 I think answers that: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=re-serialized

Craig

Silver Hawk Member
    Just in case anyone is interested in some more info on R3545 with body number 5088 here are some pictures of it today, first the car has been off the road since 1976 and in a cover barn for a long time and just before it was taken off the road the engine was rebuild and started a few time the first year just to give it a work out a little today well brought it home with 4 flat tires and quite dirty and planned on a stuck engine, first thing we did when getting it home was to pull the plugs and put in some W-D 40 as that is all we had around then started to clean the thing up some about quitting time we put in a battery just to give it a try and bingo it turned and had good compression didn't try to start it as the carb linkage is also stuck but a nice feeling to have it turn over after all these years of sitting, here are some pictures of 3545

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

President Member
    That aroma is the sweet smell of potential.

Nice looking car. Congrats!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    'Lookin' good, Bob; thanks for promptly getting those horrendous wheels off of it! BP

President Member
    Bob, That baby really cleaned up nice. I can't wait until you get it running. Good luck with it. Jeff

After taking a more detailed look at the many "inspection sheets" for my Avanti, I noticed that throughout the many notations of faults and trips back thru "repair" for repetitive corrections and after test drives, over the period of a week, the car is identified only by line no. 221 or body no. 404. There is no reference to serial number. This begs the question as to when the serial number was assigned. I would speculate that the serial number plate was assigned and placed on the chassis, probably at the completion of the chassis build and before the body to chassis marriage. But maybe not!
    On inspection sheets that others have acquired, is the body no. and line no. the means of identification?

Bump - any comments or contributions on post #52?